Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Omega Collection announced for PS4! - Release date 7th June 2017

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Im just glad to be able to play HD/ Fury again as I sold my ps3. I do have a vita and 2048, but soon stopped playing it due to the controls and small screen, but a full HD release on a bigger screen will get me back in. I will gladly buy day one and support this game. FLY HIGH!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I'm sort of wondering about Sony's motives regarding the release date, as surely they would of had got the ball rolling with this remastering a fair while before the PS4 Pro was released.....why are they waiting for release date in 6 months time?
    That's why I think it's going to be on a Streaming service.

If it's not on a Streaming service, and does end up being sold as is for download as usual from the PStore, they you got to start thinking about what the motives are.

Look at it this way, you are Sony, and you have a great IP in the Wipeout franchise, but you have left it languishing by not building any new games, so people start looking elsewhere for a similar game.
    Sony find out about a similar AG racer that is being made, how far they are in production, and when the first release date of this new game is due.
    Sony think, Oh Oh, if we let these guys new AG racing game get traction, it could undermine the worth of the Wipeout franchise, and steal a lot of it's fan base.
    It wouldn't be hard to guess that some head honcho at Sony would of come up with a cheaper way other than building a new Wipeout to steal the new games thunder, and that is to bundle the last 3 games together as a remastered version for Sony's latest console, and release it at the same time as the competition......there is no monetary risk for them if they do this.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Somehow, I doubt that Sony actually care about Formula Fusion any more than ensuring they're not pinching their IP. Fact is, Sony are going to make more money with the Omega Collection than R8 will with FF, no matter when it comes out, assuming that FF is going to come out on consoles at all.

If anything, they've made the release date where it is because summer is a prime release window for franchises that aren't quite as popular, like the spunkgargleweewees or annual sports titles. I can only assume it isn't earlier because they want to ensure they can keep the game at 60 FPS at 4K, a feat which is difficult at best even on the Pro. Then you have making room for potential VR support, which would put the hardware under even more stress.

As for why it exists, here's likely why:
    Quote Originally Posted by snakenator1
    I think its a step in the right direction to begin with, this all could be a test to see the viability of resurrecting the franchise, if the community is there to support this game from day one then maybe Sony will consider bringing WO back to its former glory.
    Sony made a kickstarter for something a while ago (can't remember what, I think it was Shenmue 3?), just to see if people were interested in it. That wasn't a good move, and they're not doing it again. If they fix the issues the games have, as well as removing the godawful multiplayer XP system from 2048, then this is a perfectly valid litmus test to show a boardroom.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

What a surprise. I retired ages ago and had just a few hours of WOHD playtime the last two (or three?) years. With this I might consider joining again. Never played 2048 and well, my PS3 BR drive is broken and .. whatever ... why not. Sony pushed some button. Even that the PS4 doesn't have a proper BR-UHD drive I now consider getting one (in summer). We race, we die!

PSN ID
    Ninjaxander1 (I despise it.)

Formula fusion can bugger off now. We've got this.
    And maybe JUST MAYBE we could get some extra content/DLC for tracks we missed out on pulse and pure.

And more songs.
    Jesus Christ we need more songs.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    oliver_fighter7 - Olivariox

Better than nothing given we weren't having any news regarding Wipeout. And as it's been said, it can be seen as a preliminary step to a next true Wipeout; but if that's not the intention behind these aren't really good news. I take for granted Wipeout 2048 will have a racebox and an online mode just as the one in HD/Fury. It'd be extremely disappointing if it keeps on with its original crap online system.

This said, I'm really really looking forward to it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

To summarize : 2048 offline and online experience were s.h.i.t, let's hope they keep the tracks (that were good) and include them in an HD/Furish format.
    That's a very little adaptation, and it will please a lot of us.

Also, if they can add A+ speed on HD/Fury tracks, it will be awesome

Timezone
    GMT -5

I actually quite liked 2048, I mean, online is currently barren. Not that it was booming just after release. And it also retconned a handful of lore. But I thought it was fun!

What is the prevailing opinion on it? and why?

I'm excited for Omega Collection though. Happy to get back into HD + Fury. And what I imagine is they will just port 2048 plus the DLC, which included HD + Fury tracks and ships.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

I'm hyped af to be able to play this again - and in 4k! Never got the chance to sit down with 2048, so Im glad to try it for real now.

See you guys online summer 2017!!! We gonna fly off with a beat!

PSN ID
    TheWalkingFroggy

I can't wait, really. I thought I would never played WipEout games anymore. But now!!
    Also I'm thinking how Zone Mode will look good!

There's one thing I don't understand : will this be a game mixed? Or, you can choose to play WipEout HD/Fury or WipEout 2048? I hope the second choice. Never played 2048 so this will be my time

Also I think they will fix bugs, at least I hope. Just thinking of a WipEout HD without scoreboards broken, it's just amazing

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Great news, finally! And 2048 will definitely look great on PS4, so if someone missed it, this is a good chance to try it out.

As for myself, I don't know if I will ever get a PS4 but in the case I do, that title will come home for sure!

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Gameplay footage

Last edited by TheConzio; 5th December 2016 at 08:55 AM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

A new article on Eurogamer mentions several new things:

- There will be both a physical and digital release
    - All content fully upscaled to 4K@60fps, including 2048
    - There is a brand new soundtrack, probably down to licenses expiring
    - No VR, which is unsurprising really
    - 2048 will be given split screen multiplayer and up to 8 player online. Whether it's a true lobby or the matchmaking system from last time remains to be seen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-its-ps4-debut

PSN ID
    UB3R-BR3NDAGE

Finally! I'm glad this is becoming a thing. Although, one has to wonder if it's simply coincidence it launches on the same year as Formula Fusion...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I like this snippet from the article above

Quote:
    There's the hope, too, that Omega will lead on to other things, and that maybe it'll pave the way for an all-new WipEout. "I would hope so," says O'Connor. "It's within the PlayStation DNA. I would hope this would bring new people in who've not played the franchise before, and whet the appetite of those who have played before. It's been a long time since we've had it on PlayStation."

And since they said that Sony have given them access to Studio Liverpools archive, we might actually get to find out what Studio Liverpool had planned for Wipeout back then.....now THAT has me excited.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 5th December 2016 at 08:43 AM.

PSN ID

So, could this mean the franchise is back in the game? Will we get more?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I suppose it depends if Sony wants to pay these two outsourced studios to do it, and if they think them capable of doing it.

Remastering a game wouldn't be as hard as actually building tracks and craft from scratch, but in saying that, I suppose since they have access to the archive, they would just have access to the craft physics of the last 3 Wipeouts at least, if not all of the Wipeouts.

Maybe they might get asked to remaster 2097, WO3SE and the other tracks from PURE & PULSE, and use the craft physics from the OMEGA pack......who knows.....at least there are huge possibilities now.......and some HOPE.

Since this OMEGA pack is boasting 4k gaming, and the only way to get that is with a PS4 Pro......just do some reading first....I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a PS4 PRO at the moment, you should read the official PlayStation forums about these console shutting down after only 3 or 4 hours of use straight out of the box, and not turning back on again......Hell, I remember that happening to my FAT BC60G PS3, and a couple of hundred thousand other people around the world as well.....crappy lead free solder was the cause with that indecent...... seems a multitude of problems with the PS4 Pro
    USA Playstation forums.
    http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/46036840

UK/EU Playstation forums.
    http://community.eu.playstation.com/...n/m-p/24696949
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 5th December 2016 at 10:09 AM.

PSN ID

Maybe Sony/XDA will try to cobble up some of studio liverpools members to join them like Ami and whoever made HD and 2048 good.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's been a long time since SL was made no more.

I don't have the mind of a coder, or a game designer, or of a graphic artist for hire.....I don't know what it feels like being hired on 'A Job' bases, so I can't feel what ex Studio Liverpool people are feeling when they read that these new 'Blow - in's' - [no disrespect meant] of gaming studios, get to mess with 20 years of their 'Pride & Joy' with access to the SL archive.

For all I know, it could be like water off a ducks back for a lot of them, and they see it as just part of the business.

I somehow doubt it though.....there is a LOT of LOVE just been handed to these guys.....sort of like watching the Love of your Life suddenly screwing somebody else......your not going to like it.

Maybe some old SL guys will get consulted/re-hired? One can only hope

Edit: the article above actually says they have a few SL people onboard, so there you go!
    Last edited by AdHoc; 5th December 2016 at 11:32 AM.