Thread: Wipeout Omega Collection announced for PS4! - Release date 7th June 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well Formula Fusion has 7 tracks finished, or at least very close to being finished, and each of those tracks can be played in reverse, and the option to play the day time or nigh time version of each of those tracks, so initial content should be enough for most people, plus there are going to be 5 speed classes, of which we have only tested 3 to date.

We on the test pilot program had a build back in Nov last year that had around a dozen new tracks in bare bones form to test and give our opinions on, at least two of those tracks I have seen in a recent video, have made it to full rendering stage.

Actually I'm expecting some form of new test build to appear shortly, as it's been nearly 3 months since the last one...... hopefully the weapon systems would have had a lot of work done on them, as they sorely need it, as they are pretty much ineffectual in the last build.

Some of the FF tracks are quite a bit longer than your usual Wipeout tracks, think similar to the length of the 3rd version of the tracks in Wipeout Fusion, I reported at the FF forum that I thought these tracks were a bit boring, and got a response that R8 intend these long tracks to be sort of learners tracks, and/or, used as testing tracks for craft upgrades, which can speed up a standard craft to incredible speeds [way faster than super phantom ].

I've hardly touch FF since December, as I've found I've lost interest in gaming generally over the last few months, hopefully the next update might shake me out of it.
    And to be honest, being part of the testing process has taken the edge off the game for me, it's been like playing with a broken toy that's constantly being fixed by your parents, so if your anything like me, I'd wait for the full release rather that early access, rather than risk dampening your enjoyment on what should eventually turn out to be a fine game, by playing it before it's finished.

As for the Omega pack, well I can't stand playing Wipeout on a handheld, it drives me to distraction.
    I've got Pure & Pulse plus all the DLC on both a PSPGO! using video out to a TV, using a PS3 controller, then more recently got a Vita TV unit with the same games, plus 2048 [via a hack] running the same way, but using a PS4 controller.
    The only problem with 2048 played that way is getting through the menus, as 2048 used all the VITA controls for menu navigation, including the rear one, which isn't duplicated on the PS4 controller, so it will be nice to not have to deal with that any more one the Omega pack is released.

It looks ok for a handheld game, even if blown up to a ridiculous 2.2m across as I did via my projector......should look a damm sight better via a PS4 though
    Full lounge shot (1 of 1).jpg
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th March 2017 at 06:32 AM.

PSN ID
    DIXI200

I have never seen such a great 2048
    unfortunately I do not have a PC to try FF and was hoping to find it on PS4, to give meaning to the purchase of Ps4 Omega is a sop. FF should definitely make the choice that pays off his work.

PSN ID
    scalliano

@blackwiggle: Now THAT is a setup!

Funnily enough, I managed to get the PSTV whitelist patch up and running just on Saturday there. Granted, the touchpad emulation is a bit of a faff as you say, but I haven't had so much fun with my Vita games since I bought them ages ago. 2048 has barely been off my TV since then. It does have a habit of crashing every so often, particularly on race restarts, but it's a small price to pay to conserve my already naff eyesight

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

With the current trend, purchase wise being towards higher resolution [4k], bargains can be found on Ebay regarding getting a gaming projection system up and running, as those with a penchant for home Theater, tend to be early adoptees, and upgrade their projectors relatively early, so a lot of suitable PJ's are coming on the market as their owners upgrade to 4k, you just need to know which projectors are the ones to get.

To be honest any PJ made for HT duties made from around 2007 onwards will make a good gaming PJ, it's the latency that can be a issue, and usually this only is a problem with the high end PJ's, as these were designed to just play movies basically, so input lag was not a priority in their design brief, as it's not needed when used purely for movies .....you can tweak some PJ's to respond better, but that involves getting into the service menu, and that's getting a bit beyond the scope of this post.

Also, the different between 1080i /1080p and 4k isn't huge, resolution wise, actually most people would be hard pressed to notice the differences unless they were pointed out to them, and a lot depends on viewing distance from the screen if it is noticeable at all.
    Where 4k wins is with the expanded colour gamut, it makes gradients much smoother, where large expanses of graduated colours can look pixilated on the lower resolution screens.......I'm still not convinced I need to upgrade to 4k just yet, as unlike most people, I also have my own video calibration gear [I've been a HiFi nut since the mid 70's- and became a videophile over the last 20 years], so my aging Sony PJ is still looking better than most peoples new 4K PJ's, well at least in colour accuracy.

Look on Ebay for Sony PJ's VPL HS51a as they were called in the USA, or VPL HS60 as they were called here in OZ, and I think in the UK, they are 1080i units [Playstations auto detect & output to the display resolution-so no stuffing about needed changing settings], you should be able to pick one up for around Aus$ 350 -£220 [A LOT cheaper than when I bought my unit new for Aus $3500 ]...I see replacement lamps are around £80-90.....that will give you around 3000 hours of game play.....great gaming PJ's....try playing Wipeout HD/Fury/2048 in 1st person cockpit view on one of these.

My original HS60 died on me just as I replaced the lamp...... I left it for a while, thinking it would cost me a arm and a leg to get Sony to repair it, and I might be better served saving the money towards a new 4K PJ.......but curiosity go the better of me, and one day a few months ago I found another used unit on Ebay, complete with spare Lamp [that in itself is over Aus$500 here] It didn't sell at first, then it got re posted, so I cheekily sent the seller a message saying I'd pay the buy it now price of Aus$350 if they dropped the postage costs, they said yes....turned out that it had come straight from a Sony service centre here in OZ and had been recently reconditioned by them, but the owner never turned up to pay for it......you never now your luck until you test it.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Here's a random thought, will we get a new set of trophies to unlock or will they just reuse the old ones??

I know not everybody who plays HD or 2048 are fussed about them but they do make for some interesting challenges.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

As a admitted Trophy hunter , although not as bad as some.

I hope both the Omega pack, and Formula Fusion have 'Realistically Achievable' Trophies.

I'm sort of dreading having to sort out online meetings again to Re-Achieve "Bling Brigade"....I think I wouldn't be the only person dreading this one.

The differences between a 2009 PS3 user interface, and a 2017 PS4 user interface, 'Should' make getting this trophy again a lot easier.....emphasis on the 'Should'...doesn't mean it will be.

EDIT: Actually, with the latest PS4 system update, there is a OMEGA PACK user/fan group? one can join....Also some sort of petition towards Sony to get a NEW Wipeout game made.

Totally remiss of me to have not posted about this anywhere at the forum.

I'll do so eventually when I know 'Exactly' what is going on with this situation.....easy for current PS4 owners to checkout themselves....it's staring you in the face.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 16th March 2017 at 12:59 PM.

PSN ID
    scalliano

I remember reading somewhere that SL were indeed working on a new game for the PS4 and that progress was already around a year or so deep when they were shuttered. I would hope that the release of Omega is perhaps Sony "testing the water", so to speak, and that we might see an all new game in the future if Omega does well. It may also be a response to all of the "spiritual successors" showing up on places like Steam and the like, such as FF, Redout (not a bad effort in itself), hell, even the FAST games fall into that equation. There is clearly still a market for these types of games and IMO it makes total sense for Sony to show up and say, "hey, remember us?"

As an aside, in the event of Omega's success, I wonder if we'll be seeing an F-Zero Switch further down the line ...