Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main site back up after short down time

PSN ID
    DIXI200

Congratulations great job

Since the site has been hacked, every time I went to wipeoutzone.com I was redirected to the forums. For the first time in years, when I went to wipeoutzone.com this morning I had the pleasant surprise of seeing the actual website instead of the forums. Thank you Rob, you definitely made my day.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

You're welcome.

I could have moved the forum to the site root but decided I'd just put in a "temporary" redirect so it wouldn't mess with any bookmarks or search engine rankings. Made it easier to switch back as well.

And you have done well :) I always came to wipeoutzone.com and not wipeoutzone.com/forum because I knew things would be fixed someday. Why would I do that? Well, I guess I was a believer —and still am.

I don’t mean to nitpick (says the nitpicker), but you wrote that the site went offline “February 2011 to be exact” and AFAIK the site was hacked on February 2012. Oh, and I’m glad you and I have the same definition of “short down time” :)

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    You're welcome.

I could have moved the forum to the site root but decided I'd just put in a "temporary" redirect so it wouldn't mess with any bookmarks or search engine rankings. Made it easier to switch back as well.
    Good call, Foxy. I admit I got a little teary-eyed when that showed up again.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by vincoof View Post
    I don’t mean to nitpick (says the nitpicker), but you wrote that the site went offline “February 2011 to be exact” and AFAIK the site was hacked on February 2012. Oh, and I’m glad you and I have the same definition of “short down time” :)
    Yeah, it was - I put the wrong time frame in the first post here as well, but when I realised I wasn't near a computer and although it's easy to edit the forum posts the main site does not have a CMS so I have to go into the DB to do it. I'll change it there too.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Thanks for this, great seeing it all again!

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Wow it's really been down that long? Thanks for bringing it back Rob, it warms my heart

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

Wow, what a huge surprise! Even though I used to lurk a bit, I registered/became active right about the time it all went awry. And then now, after like more than 4 and a half years, visiting the main site gave me such a burst of nostalgia. Great work getting it back up and running!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I'm late to this news, since well, I had the forums bookmarked and not the main website anymore (Can you blame me?)

Anyways, it looks pretty fresh and great. Sure it's basic in most of its presentation, but IMO that's what makes it fast and good in the first place.

Thank you for still working on it.

When I visited the main site today, it froze my Firefox window. I’m just talking about the main site (www.wipeoutzone.com), not other pages (records, …). Killed Firefox, opened the site again. Ditto.

It doesn’t happen with Chrome. The forums are fine. Everything was fine with Firefox last time I visited (a few days ago). I haven’t updated Firefox in the past few days.

My guess is there’s new code (Javascript or something) that Firefox doesn’t like. Have you made any recent additions that might harm Firefox ?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

There's no new code on my part since I pushed it live. Yesterday I noticed an error on the stats page where the button wraps below the select and it shouldn't, so I was planning to fix that, but I won't be doing anything until the holidays.

The animation in the header is done with CSS, so it's not like I'm running any scripts that would gobble up memory, but the Google Ads are probably running some kind of script and I notice that the adverts aren't showing on Windows Firefox.

Doesn't crash the browser for me on either Windows or an iMac, so it's weird that it's happening to you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

As a heads up, that google ad doesn't show up on Safari (v9.1.3) either anymore (it used to though), so might indeed be a problem there (no crashes though, just blank ad)

Aaalso, unrelated to that, i've been exchanging PMs with a couple people on here, sometimes they get really lengthy and i'm being signed out automatically (15 mins), which is fine, but when i go to submit the message and it requests me to enter credentials , the page it redirects me to is blank (it's supposed to still send the message after i signed in, but it must lose track of it somewhere i guess), this also happens with lengthy posts which took your longer than 15mins to write
    I've learned from my mistakes and just copy the whole message before i hit submit nowadays, but it is still presumably unintended behaviour, so figured i might let you know (it's not high priority, not for me anyway)
    Last edited by Cipher; 16th December 2016 at 01:41 PM.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Yeah, I don't really care about the Google ad any more. The code is super out of date so it might be an issue too. I'll fix it.

I've set the session timeout to 30 minutes - hope that helps.

Updated my Firefox from 48.0 to 50.1.0 and it works like a charm. Go Figure. Why it stopped working is a mystery to me but who cares. Thanks for your help.