Thread: Let's talk! Red:out and Formula Fusion: opportunities for a new Wipeout?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Santuz_rocks

Question Let's talk! Red:out and Formula Fusion: opportunities for a new Wipeout?

Hi everybody!
    I'd like to start a conversation about the future of our beloved title..

As you know, soon two wipeout-inspired games will be aviabile on PC and PS4: Red out and Formula Fusion.
    In my opinion these games represent a big opportunity for the future of Wipeout. I mean: if these games demonstrate that the AG racing community is still alive and active, Sony will probably consider to create the next-gen wipeout (hopefully hiring the R8 games )!

What do you think about it? What are your opinions, what are your hopes about these two games?

Sorry for my bad english, I hope to be comprehensible!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Well, competition is always good, as it strives to improve and make better than the other, but one could also think that with 2 AG games already present, there is no room/ interest for a third one (although the wipeout name on its own is already a big attention grabber, so it could maybe work)

The fear i have though, with most of the wiepout developers disbanded, and a new company having to create it, will it be as good/ better? Will the new team stray from the design principles of Wipeout?
    You should also keep in mind that Sony kinda showed the wipeout developers the door, i dunno how they would feel about being asked to come back after being thrown a turd in the face lol
    I think that with the Wipeout games, the whole thing that made them be so great, was the team behind it, you don't simply replace a team with over 20 years of experience, friendships, knowledge, ...

I dunno man, on one hand i really want to see it happen, but on the other, i'm scared, scared to see it fail

Honestly, F-zero seems to be the AG racer that's inspiring most of these new AG racers. FF is trying to be WipeoutHD v2.0, well not trying actively, it's still its own thing, but they can't deny that similarities to Wipeout are a good thing. But I personally feel that we shouldn't really expect FF to be the successor of the Wipeout franchise, if that's their intent I think they're not really doing a good job. As its own thing though it seems to be pretty well handled.

Red:Out, as a spiritual successor for Wipeout, fails at way more stuff than FF. The ships and tracks, for example, are overly complex and overly fictional in comparison to Wipeout's signature simplicity and realism within a fictional world. But I don't feel they're trying to be anything like Wipeout. If anything it looks more like a Star Wars pod racer inspired game.

To make a good Wipeout successor you need to be making a Wipeout game. Just the AG racer theme on its own fits a lot of old AG racer classics, to make a true spirtual successor to any of those classics you need to make your game look and feel like them on purpose instead of expecting people to draw parallels between two obviously different games just because they share the most basic part of the AG racer game mechanics and looks.
    Last edited by Xpand; 25th August 2016 at 11:02 PM.

Slipstream and ballistic ng are far closer to wipeout that these games. I hope these games do well though and end up being fun to play

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I agree with Jabberjaw.

I think there's no way to know what's happening in Sony's head, and that all we can do is be patient.