Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Questions about WO 2048 and PSVita

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Santuz_rocks
    Posts
    21

    Question Questions about WO 2048 and PSVita

    Hi everyone!
    I really like wipeout and I'd like to play all the titles from this brand.
    Currently I own and play wip3out on PSone, wipeout Fusion on PS2 and wipeout HD/fury on PS3.
    I've never had PSP, so I'm considering to buy a PS Vita, in order to play with wipeout 2048, Pulse, Pure and the original Wipeout, but I have many doubts: I hope you will help me taking a decision.
    Here are my doubts:
    1- is 2048 still active online, or is it dead?
    2- is 2048 a must-have/must-play title in the Wipeout serie?
    3- are Pure and Pulse playable online with PS Vita? If yes, is there an active community?
    4- Are Pure,Pulse and the original wipeout graphically upscaled on Ps Vita? (like you can do with emulators)

    But the biggest doubt is this:
    We all know that PS Vita is a beautiful console, but it's very poor in terms of titles and Sony doesn't support it properly: is it a good choiche to spend lots of money just to play those old titles (which i can find in secondhand market too)? Or should I save money, take a good pc/PS4 and play Formula Fusion/the next PS4 Wipeout?

    What should I do? I'm scared of wasting money

    Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but I can't decide!
    Your help will be very precious!!
    Last edited by santuz_rocks; 15th May 2016 at 05:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    Answers
    1] Pretty much dead as I understand it, that has a lot to do with not that many VITA owners around, and a problem with 2048 where game progress could be corrupted, meaning people had to start over....the lack of RACEBOX mode to practice on, made 2048 pretty much the most un-loved Wipeout of all.
    2] NO ...I hate playing games on a handheld console, I bought a PSVITA TV and used a hack to get it working [recommended you get a VITATV anyway for PURE & PULSE, as it's the best way to play them]
    See link below with screen shots
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...highlight=PSTV

    3] No, the servers for both PURE & PULSE were closed down ages ago once the PSP was hacked, still great games to play single player ...you can still play in Ad-Hoc mode against somebody else who if with you and has a VITA with a copy of the games on theirs
    4] YES! ...as mentioned in question 2, this is the best way to play the original wipeout, PURE ? PULSE & 2048 ...to play 2048 you need a CARD version of the game, and a VITA TV that has NOT !!!! had it's software updated to the latest [and probably last ] version.
    It depends if you are prepared to own a PSVITA TV only to have those 4 games on them, and never to update..... or only have 3 [no 2048] and still be able to update and use your PSVITA TV as normal.

    Looks at it this way.
    Do you want something you can play now, at basically little cost ? [you should be able to pick up a PSTV cheap], as Sony has stopped supporting both it, and the VITA from the look of things.
    OR spend money on a PS4 [that is looking like getting a PS4 V.2 [Neo] update, pretty soon --- approx another 512 MB RAM, Faster processor and upgraded graphic processor...[all future PS4 titles need to be able to be run on both machines] ...just some features will run better on the PS4 NEO...SONY VR mostly.

    Being a early adoptee ..[saving for the newest PS4 and buying one] is losing $$ IMHO, because historically, any new version of a recent console, is really only getting the customer to pay for gradual increments in technology "At a Price"....if you buy the Sony VR headset, you will want to update, but not otherwise.

    I'm in two minds where FF will go, even though I'm part of the TPP, see what eventuates over the next few months
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 16th May 2016 at 08:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SW England
    PSN ID
    osama-bin-haydn
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    I bought a Vita 5 days ago purely to scratch my Wipeout itch.
    Bought 2048 along with the HD / Fury addons & Wipout Pure & Pulse.

    I have no idea if 2048 is still active as I cannot connect to the servers at all, so instead I have been enjoying SLs and TTs.

    Would I recommend it? Well, Its a lot of money just to play Wipeout, but I haven't owned a ps3 for years now and it also gives me something to do when I'm bored at work. Its a nice little bit of kit for what I need it for.

    If it's multiplayer you're specifically after though then it's not for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    Posts
    1

    Default

    This topic was useful to read on the corrupt error problems I have. That's an unfortunate thing to release in the marketplace without fixing it all this time.
    Last edited by Lygophilia; 18th May 2016 at 07:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    Well if Sony hadn't of shut down Studio Liverpool, it would have been fixed.
    It can't be fixed if there is nobody there to fix it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon
    Posts
    869

    Default

    1. Servers ARE still up. But it depends on when you play and where you are. It is 100% random though even under best circumstances, and since you need 4 players. So for all intensive purposes, it is dead. A note too: I have not updated my Vita in quite some time. When I played 2048, I didn't need any update to connect. I am in the US, so I don't know if this was luck or coincidental. I recognized no one online.

    2. If you are into the Wipeout canon as far as the storyline progression goes, it is worth picking up. On the off chance that you might actually want to play online, you need to try to find a new copy because it comes with an unlock code to play multiplayer. If you buy it used, the code may have already been used or not be there at all. In my personal opinion, if you are a fan of the series, it is a must own just for collections sake. The controls are sub par, the grid mode is awful, the framerate is variable at best, the online selection mode is Satan, and the best part of the game is the free HD/Fury DLC if you own WOHD on PS3. You can connect and play with other people on PS3 playing WOHD, but you'll be at a disadvantage because of framerate and control issues. If you are after trophies at all, achieving 100% is nearly impossible without boosting because there are two gold trophies for completing the online mode and for completing every grid of online mode. For that you need 3 other people to play through about 4 hours of tedious races.

    3. Ad hoc mode is confirmed, but in the US, we can only get Pulse on the Vita. Some regional restrictions may apply. As wiggle pointed out, the single player mode is an excellent bargain, and is more fun IMO than 2048.

    4. OMG the framerates are better. But I know nothing about any upscaling.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Santuz_rocks
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thank you all for your responses and your opinions!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Looks at it this way.
    Do you want something you can play now, at basically little cost ? [you should be able to pick up a PSTV cheap], as Sony has stopped supporting both it, and the VITA from the look of things.
    OR spend money on a PS4 [that is looking like getting a PS4 V.2 [Neo] update, pretty soon --- approx another 512 MB RAM, Faster processor and upgraded graphic processor...[all future PS4 titles need to be able to be run on both machines] ...just some features will run better on the PS4 NEO...SONY VR mostly.

    Being a early adoptee ..[saving for the newest PS4 and buying one] is losing $$ IMHO, because historically, any new version of a recent console, is really only getting the customer to pay for gradual increments in technology "At a Price"....if you buy the Sony VR headset, you will want to update, but not otherwise.

    I'm in two minds where FF will go, even though I'm part of the TPP, see what eventuates over the next few months

    Thank you blackwiggle, I didn't consider the PS TV! Now it's extremely cheap!
    You are right about the new PS4.. I hope it will lower the price of the normal console!

    Regarding the multiplayer, I will wait Formula Fusion: It attracts me a lot! I'd like to play it right now, but I'm not sure about my graphic card.. luckily it will be ported on PS4!


    Quote Originally Posted by OBH View Post
    I bought a Vita 5 days ago purely to scratch my Wipeout itch.
    Would I recommend it? Well, Its a lot of money just to play Wipeout, but I haven't owned a ps3 for years now and it also gives me something to do when I'm bored at work. Its a nice little bit of kit for what I need it for.
    I have the same Wipeout itch!
    At first I was tempted by PS VITA, because I've never owned a handheld console...is it comfortable playing wipeout on it ?(on single player of course)
    Now there are rumors about the new PS Vita "trinity", what do you thik about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    2. If you are into the Wipeout canon as far as the storyline progression goes, it is worth picking up. On the off chance that you might actually want to play online, you need to try to find a new copy because it comes with an unlock code to play multiplayer. If you buy it used, the code may have already been used or not be there at all. In my personal opinion, if you are a fan of the series, it is a must own just for collections sake. The controls are sub par, the grid mode is awful, the framerate is variable at best, the online selection mode is Satan, and the best part of the game is the free HD/Fury DLC if you own WOHD on PS3. You can connect and play with other people on PS3 playing WOHD, but you'll be at a disadvantage because of framerate and control issues. If you are after trophies at all, achieving 100% is nearly impossible without boosting because there are two gold trophies for completing the online mode and for completing every grid of online mode. For that you need 3 other people to play through about 4 hours of tedious races.
    Thank you mannjon, I didn't know about the code to play multiplayer!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceFolding
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I've been trying for 48 hours trying to get into the multiplayer. No matter what I do, spam the online campaign, cross-play, community, boot the game, they all give me "An error occurred while contacting the server". Is my Vita broken or are the servers actually dead?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I tried last night. Did not work. Will try this evening again. Perhaps Sony has reacted to the fact that the Henkaku hack makes it possible to access PSN with fw 3.60. I hope not.
    Update:
    Online worked fine this evening. Played a good while on PSTV with Henkaku hack.
    Last edited by multibodydynamics; 1st September 2016 at 10:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceFolding
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by multibodydynamics View Post
    Online worked fine this evening. Played a good while on PSTV with Henkaku hack.
    You must be some kind of lucky charm because it worked when I checked this thread and read your post. I tried to connect ever since Henkaku PSN spoofing came out! I own the physical game in case if anyone was wondering

    Edit: I was idling in my lobby waiting for someone to join my game then I got booted with "An error occurred while contacting the server". I thought someone said once you're connected, you're in until you shut down the game?
    Last edited by Anonanon; 2nd September 2016 at 08:01 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •