Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I mistakenly said the names of the Psygnosis/ Studio Liverpool Wipeout production crew were on the covers, what I meant was the game booklets.

If you don't have the booklets, you can still view the names in the credit section of each of the games.

PSN ID
    TERRA-WRISTS / SKRUFFEM

Hey Blackwiggle, any more updates?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Now I must protest that Consoles are a dying breed. Xbox 1? Yes. They were DOA. That's what you get for coming to E3 and boasting a new system then initially planned to tie games to an IP address making trade ins impossible. They obviously changed their stance, but too late. That's what you get Microsoft. You deserve the crappy Xbox 1 sales you got.

Now with the PS4... different story.

There is more life in consoles than ever. If they decided to release a new WO game on the PC, it would fail. Why? WO isn't one of those games that PC people would want. The modern trend for PC gamers (and this isn't everyone) is to mod the $h!+ out of it. Case in point? Look at Overwatch as an example. They (Microsoft and Sony) are considering cross-console play for the game. BUT PC won't be invited. Again... WHY? Because PC players would mod it. Not everyone of course (some of us don't cheat) but PC gamers have a bad rep for modding.

Will Sony ever release a WO game for Xbox? Likely not... BUT.......... imagine the renewal of the genre if a new WO could be crossplay compatible with Vita, PS4 AND Xbox 1. Now will this happen? No. I sincerely doubt it. Not many titles that started as an exclusive make the jump to other systems. But I think it could save the genre, especially on a console release.

If they did have a new WO game that did somehow make it to market, I do believe the better choice would be to keep Microsoft out of the loop and have a PC release. That being said, I don't think there is a strong enough market on the PC to make it a success. Sadly though, we won't see a future release with just a niche market. So it becomes a catch 22.

PSN ID
    TERRA-WRISTS / SKRUFFEM

I agree Mannjon, wipEout should be PS4 exclusive only. NO Xbone.

Timezone
    GMT -3

This exclusivity bullsh** harms consumers.

The only thing I know is that consoles are pcs, with a "beautiful case" and a OS. The architeture is preety much the same of computers(Correct me if I'm wrong), games now needs to be installed in a hard drive...so what's the point? It's a PC that does less stuff than a normal PC does, except it is less powerful, and just optmized for gaming.

Once again, I'm going to say this: I'm going for the cheapest option avaible for me, and where I live, it turns to PC. I'm probably being hyperbole(and unrealistic), but the next generation of "consoles" will be OS's to be installed in a PC.

Back on topic: If a new WipEout is to be developed(which is higly unlikely) it's going to be Sony exclusive UNFORTUNATELY. Those companies are really greedy when it comes to IPs. I would really want that they developed the game for all platforms, PC included, because, in my point of view, although there are costs to port the game and etc, the range of buyers would be higher, making the game sell better. and throw in that Cross-Play of course.
    @mannjon So why the heck Rocket League has cross play with PS4 and PC!? Explain me that. There's no Xbox One involved.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I'd love to see WipEout Future come to PCs, too. Put it on something like Steam, and Sony would be able to target people who don't own PS4s. Thus, making more money.

I mean, a new WipEout title is all *I'D* need to justify buying a new Sony console, I know the masses don't think like that. And considering that it wouldn't be a launch title, it's not like they'd be using it to try to sell systems in the same way that they usually do with WipEout launch titles. However, had they already been working on one, they COULD use it this way for PSVR.

But PS4/Neo/VR or not, I just want a new official WipEout game, really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I agree with Rafeku's statement
    There's no need for the pc/console master race debate, it's simply a personal preference, nothing more, yeah sure, there's exclusives and what not, but you have those on both sides, PC & Consoles, on the console side, they are mostly a marketing stunt to lure customers to their console, a PC exclusive is usually a developer's decision (flexibility, cost, performance, stubbornness,...), however, these same criteria can also apply to consoles if a dev is platform oriented (although less likely), most exclusives come from developers who have been bought by the console developer (Psygnosis bought by Sony for example, Naughty Dog (The Last Of Us), ...)

I game on both, i like both for my own reasons, both Pcs & consoles have their pros and cons, there's no better one, there's only the best one for you

I agree with Rafeku's last paragraph as well that selling on all platforms gives more exposure for the game and the developers, in fact, the PC is probably easier to get exposure on, as it's a bigger audience, whereas console's audience is smaller and scattered over different platforms (not saying that this audience is irrelevant though ), this is why you see a lot of indie developers on PC (and also because it's easier to develop for PC (consoles come with NDAs, pricy dev consoles (except for microsoft), non-standard APIs, approvals, ...), however, once these indies break out on PC, they usually end up on console as well (Enter The Gungeon & Rocket League to name a few), the opposite can also occur, but it is less likely, since if a game is on console but not PC, it's probably an exclusive and will probably remain as such, either because of decisions from up top, or developer platform orientation

In short, developing for all platforms is better, but it comes with price-tags.

As for cross platform between PC & Console, for a long time it was debated that either one had advantages over the other when it came to online competitive play (hacks on pc definitely play a big role there), but this conservative thought seems to have been evolving over recent years, in a good way (Maybe partially caused by better anti-cheat algorithms, but probably other stuff as well)

@Manny your definition of modding is flawed, what you're talking about is hacks & cheating, most often mods are made to increase the lifetime of a game, to improve upon certain aspects of a game, to expand the story, to increase the amount of content, ...
    Mods are the same as what instagram filters are to photography, nothing bad about them, just a personal choice on whether you like them or not

Hacks and cheats i agree with, are a complete no-no and do indeed appear more on PC, but i think security of game exploits like that will only keep improving as the game industry evolves ;-)

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -3

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid Divide View Post
    I'd love to see WipEout Future come to PCs, too. Put it on something like Steam, and Sony would be able to target people who don't own PS4s. Thus, making more money.

I mean, a new WipEout title is all *I'D* need to justify buying a new Sony console, I know the masses don't think like that. And considering that it wouldn't be a launch title, it's not like they'd be using it to try to sell systems in the same way that they usually do with WipEout launch titles. However, had they already been working on one, they COULD use it this way for PSVR.

But PS4/Neo/VR or not, I just want a new official WipEout game, really.
    Actually Sony has a game on PC on Steam, which is Planetside 2. Poorly optmized but it's there. So what's the excuse? I mean, even sega did that on their console days(with few games)

PSN ID
    TERRA-WRISTS / SKRUFFEM

someone should translate this thread to Japanese and hit Sony an email.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The reason consoles will still sell, even though the difference between a console and a PC has become for all intended purposes, very little, is that with a console, everybody is standardized with the same powered rig, performance is neither better or worse than anybody else's.
    You also have to factor in the WAF [Wife acceptance factor ] where a gaming console would be tolerated in the lounge room, but a PC wouldn't..... plus the fact that a console is a set and forget piece of gear, where with a PC that isn't always the case.

I think Sony might be shooting themselves in the foot [yet again] with the release of a PS4.5 that is only slightly more powerful, so it can do VR better than the standard PS4 and play back 4K video.
    Firstly, apart for a few early adopters, I can't see VR taking off en mass, well not console versions of VR, it's too expensive to gear up for once you add controllers and camera to the already expensive headset, there are few games for it, and the ones being made in all honesty aren't that engaging , and besides the novelty wears off rather quickly when you find yourself suffer from a aching neck the next day [I've got a Sony VR demonstration in a store below where I work, and a Microsoft mega store directly across the road demonstrating it's VR, so I have been giving both a good work out]
    It might take off with PC based gaming rigs, as they are far more powerful, or can at least be upgraded to be up to recommended spec's to run a Oculus Rift.

The main problem though with UHD 4k playback is that the manufacturers are relying on HDMI to carry the signal, the problem is that the vast majority of HDMI cables people own, or are able to purchase don't have the bandwidth to do it, you can either get partial picture with sparkle artifacts, or no picture at all, it takes a specialized HDMI cable that costs more than a PS4 to do the job reliably.
    http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...i0RK5CaXcs1.97

It's a return of sorts to the sort of problems HDMI had early on, with connected components not being able to talk to each other.
    I shudder to think of the tech questions and complaints at the Playstation forum of new PS4.5's not being able to playback 4K Bluray's properly, it will be like a return to 2007 when people couldn't get their Sony PS3's talking to Panasonic or Samsung TV's.

What's really needed is a change to a cable type that is cheap and will work with 4K [Ethernet CAT5 cable fits the bill] problem is it would need different terminations on all equipment, and I'm guessing Sony would rather sell the 4k TV's and PS4.5's to the unsuspecting public now so they are buying into it, take the flack for it not working as it should due to this issue, and then later down the line say, well it needs a new cable type to do it properly, we will do that with the PS5 and next generation 4k TV's.
    It's how they have been doing business over the last decade and a half, I don't expect them to change now.

I'd love to see a new Wipeout in 4k, or/and VR, but since Sony own the IP, and both VR and 4K have issues with their implementation, I'm sort of glad that there isn't one being worked on ATM, as it would I suspect, be a substandard Wipeout due to technical issues.