Thread: Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wipeo...er-one/0166587

The co-creator of Wipeout Nick Burcombe has said he would make another entry in the sci-fi racing franchise, if Sony would let him.

Wipeout, developed by Psygnosis, was released in 1995 as a launch title for the PlayStation. The most recent game in the series was released in January 2012.

When asked by MCV whether he would be interested in making a spiritual successor, he said he could do it – but he’d want the Wipeout brand.

“If [my latest project] Table Top Racing is successful, I know I can put a team together for it as I get asked every week if we’re making a new Wipeout,” Burcombe said.

“But I’d have to make that PR story work on a Kickstarter level. You’d have to find out if there’s an audience for it first. I’d be looking at a proper undertaking on this and make it so that players can create their own tracks and really reinvent the whole thing.

“If there’s demand there, we’d love to meet it. But as it stands right now, without the Wipeout brand on it – which I doubt Sony is about to relinquish anytime soon – it’s kind of out of the question without Sony’s blessing.”
    DISCUSS

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so, as Nick said, it's highly unlikely Sony would relinquish its WipEout IP or "lease" it to anyone.

But that's not the point here. What needs to be done is to spark people's interest. If VR takes off, you can bet Sony will bring WO back.

I hope Nick acts on it and makes some noise around our beloved franchise. By the way Nick, feel free to pitch in here

As for my opinion on the matter, I'll just say this: FINALLY someone who understands that there is no spiritual successor to WO. You need WipEout to make a WipEout game. Anything else is a waste of time and ressources, not because it's bad, but because no one will buy it.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 10th May 2016 at 11:21 AM.