Thread: Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wipeo...er-one/0166587

The co-creator of Wipeout Nick Burcombe has said he would make another entry in the sci-fi racing franchise, if Sony would let him.

Wipeout, developed by Psygnosis, was released in 1995 as a launch title for the PlayStation. The most recent game in the series was released in January 2012.

When asked by MCV whether he would be interested in making a spiritual successor, he said he could do it – but he’d want the Wipeout brand.

“If [my latest project] Table Top Racing is successful, I know I can put a team together for it as I get asked every week if we’re making a new Wipeout,” Burcombe said.

“But I’d have to make that PR story work on a Kickstarter level. You’d have to find out if there’s an audience for it first. I’d be looking at a proper undertaking on this and make it so that players can create their own tracks and really reinvent the whole thing.

“If there’s demand there, we’d love to meet it. But as it stands right now, without the Wipeout brand on it – which I doubt Sony is about to relinquish anytime soon – it’s kind of out of the question without Sony’s blessing.”
    DISCUSS

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so, as Nick said, it's highly unlikely Sony would relinquish its WipEout IP or "lease" it to anyone.

But that's not the point here. What needs to be done is to spark people's interest. If VR takes off, you can bet Sony will bring WO back.

I hope Nick acts on it and makes some noise around our beloved franchise. By the way Nick, feel free to pitch in here

As for my opinion on the matter, I'll just say this: FINALLY someone who understands that there is no spiritual successor to WO. You need WipEout to make a WipEout game. Anything else is a waste of time and ressources, not because it's bad, but because no one will buy it.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 10th May 2016 at 11:21 AM.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    As for my opinion on the matter, I'll just say this: FINALLY someone who understands that there is no spiritual successor to WO. You need WipEout to make a WipEout game. Anything else is a waste of time and ressources, not because it's bad, but because no one will buy it.
    Good that Ballistic NG is free, then, huh? And a waste of time? I think not! It's efforts like BNG, SSGX, and FF that could get a new WipEout going in the first place! (Sooner or later, I'll buy you SSGX and BNG devs a beer. That's a promise!)

THAT SAID:
    If a Kickstarter comes up for a new WipEout game, I sure as HELL won't miss it like I did for the Formula Fusion Kickstarter campaign! That'd be a day one donation, easy.

The biggest thing we, as fans, would need to do, besides our own donations, would be to make sure the gaming press got word of this, and actually said something about it.

In any case, I'm in!

You would have to hope independent games like the ones you cite or even bigger productions like Fast Racing Neo must make a difference. Alas, we just don't know that for sure. And it certainly doesn't do so on the greater picture. They're not a means to an end.

This is why having high-profile people like Nick Burcombe making waves is possibly our best chance at triggering a reaction with those high placed at Sony. Actually, who knows, people working on SSGX or BNG could join Burcombe's party one day and develop the next WipEout with an added fan's perspective.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 11th May 2016 at 02:13 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think the biggest problem apart from Sony not looking like making any new wipeout for the foreseeable future, or selling or leasing the IP out for a new game, is unless some new AG racer comes along and blows everybody away with just how amazing it is, all the Wipeout similar games that are coming out now are likely to be a niche product, catering for those that already know about the pleasures of AG racing, and not have anything near the impact like a new Wipeout would have.

You need the big name of Wipeout, and the advertising budget that can be afforded to go with it to really get the genre back in the public's eye and gamer's minds, like it was back from 1995 to 1999 [original WO, 2097 & WO3 ]

I think that was part of the reason WOHD didn't really take off as much as it should, as it was only a download originally, and the disc version didn't come out till around 18 months afterwards, and then only in certain regions, and in a small print run.

Whenever a new Wipeout does appear [I have no doubt that one will eventually] it will need to be for a full console like the PS4, it should be released on multiple platforms to be honest, but I can't see Sony doing that, and it needs to be released on a disc, if only so people see it in the shops [preferably have the game install onto the consoles HD for faster access - HD disc version suffered problems because it had to be read off the disc ]

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

@blackwiggle

I agree with everything you've said here.

Being a fan here in the 'States, WipEout's marketing always confused me. They never really marketed it here, even in its heyday, the marketing here wasn't anywhere near as strong here. So fewer people heard about it. And fewer copies were sold. So when the next game comes out, they give advertising it even less consideration. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

I'd really like to see WipEout FuturE (hey, I've gotta call it something) marketed well on a global scale.
    -----
    A few other thoughts on WipEout FuturE:

I think Sony always saw WipEout as a showcase for its latest technology. But that hasn't always been a good thing.
    Sure, we got things like the first DLC for a PSP game in PurE, MP3 music, custom ship skins in PulsE and amazing graphics in HD/Fury.
    But it also meant we got things like touchscreen and motion controls in 2048 at the expense of things like Racebox.
    WipEout FuturE will need to focus on GOOD TECHNOLOGY (pun intended!), and eschew gimicky things that will only get in the way player enjoyment. (Incidentally, I have yet to win a race using motion controls. Even Moa Therma on Venom!)

Games like Super Mario Maker, Trackmania, and our own BNG are showing the power in community-driven content, and this is something WipEout FuturE needs to embrace. I think Nick Burcombe understands this, and I could happily put faith in his leadership on this project.

And I agree with the argument that WipEout FuturE needs to be multi-platform. An argument could be made that Sony would try to use WipEout to sell consoles and PSVR gear. But, just as online game networks are starting to open up, Sony should realize that by selling WipEout FuturE on more systems, it just opens up more avenues for sales! And given how similar the PS4 and XBONE are architecturally, porting it to other consoles shouldn't be a massive task. Porting it to PC should be pretty straight forward as well. Hell, Sony could use WipEout to tout cross-platform play!

Ok, ok. I'm rambling. I'll leave it at this and let you all chime in about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    ....is unless some new AG racer comes along and blows everybody away with just how amazing it is, all the Wipeout similar games that are coming out now are likely to be a niche product, catering for those that already know about the pleasures of AG racing, and not have anything near the impact like a new Wipeout would have.
    I do agree with this, I think it's always going to be an unbreakable barrier in making AG racers. No matter what you do, your game will always either look/play like Wipeout or F-zero, and there's even a bigger problem, Wipeout and F-zero were inspired by even older AG/flying racing games (powerdrome for example). In terms of design choices you will have to be either amazingly original or do something so crazy outlandish it'll actually work (kinda like what Formula Fusion did at first with their F-1 shaped ships). We're almost always bounded by our muses and the work done before us.

Re: multiplatforming, the problem is that it costs a LOT of money. After having shut down SL and declared the racing genre not as profitable anymore, I don't see it happening.

The new WipEout needs to be a flagship for something. WHD was for HD graphics on PS3, could it be for something else on PS4?

Ahh, it's tough... I'd really love to have Nick's input on this thread.