Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WXX-Rebirth : a modern engine for Wipeout 3 Special Edition !

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Ayy, nice to see the project being back on track. Good luck at it mate!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks !!

After a few days of accustoming I'm slowly getting back on track. I finally fixed all these performance problems in the scene editor, it was much more subtle and longer than I expected but I think we're there now.

Basically as I would add a few objects things were being exponentially longer (stats/validation) because Unity goes berserk calling methods many many times per seconds resulting in freezes ...

I still feel this was the right choice: visual cues and validation for building levels, it would not have made much sense to manually find a missing needle in the haystack of polygons that are each level.

I will probably be finished mid-week with this chapter and be able to advance in the project

2016-10-02 22_53_48-WXX-Rebirth - Microsoft Visual Studio.jpg

Timezone
    GMT + 1

A quick ping to let you know I'm still working hard on the project, it's definitely not dead , it's just that it takes way longer than what I thought and had other things to do.

In the meantime I've been looking at Wipeout 64 and it's pretty much like WOXL, and I will add it to the project.

You can see what's been discovered if you have access to this thread : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...mages-allowed)

Cheers !

Happy NEW Wip3Out YEAR ! ! ! ! !

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hi bro, happy new year, I know it's almost 3 months late but it's never too late !

(I still work on the project, it's just that there's so much to do and days are not long enough)

There's no rush, just checkin' in to see what's the weather like )

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Here's what's the weather like in here :

• new, unified asset system, supports Wipeout, Wipeout XL and now Wipeout 64
      (WO3 is out for now but it'll come back)
    • abstraction of game data, no more version-specific code
    • level editor ... basically I will create the levels myself by dragging and dropping track, scenery, add behaviors etc
      (i.e. the rescue ship must be split into different meshes e.g. body, headlights which need their own material)
      and while this is a simple concept, implementing it is not that simple, i.e. I'm getting to it but it takes time
      this is the most time consuming as Unity is full of bugs, traps and shitty documentation (basic stuff is ok but I need more)
      and remember, project shall not contain copyrighted stuff, easier said than done because Unity is a moron (getting to it)
    • lots of code written ...
    • some news, see below

Reverse engineering of WOXL problematic tracks such as Gare d'Europa where it was all checkerboard:

(before)
    2017-02-20 01_00_49-Unity 5.5.0f3 Personal (64bit) - New Scene.unity - WXX-Rebirth - PC, Mac & L.png

(now)
    2017-02-20 01_00_58-Unity 5.5.0f3 Personal (64bit) - New Scene.unity - WXX-Rebirth - PC, Mac & L.png

Wipeout 64 support:

2017-02-21 21_32_33-Unity 5.5.0f3 Personal (64bit) - New Scene.unity - WXX-Rebirth - PC, Mac & L.png

Retro-rendering effect:

(no effect)
    2017-02-21 21_30_14-Unity 5.5.0f3 Personal (64bit) - New Scene.unity - WXX-Rebirth - PC, Mac & L.png

(dithered 8-bit MS-DOS style)
    2017-02-21 21_30_37-Unity 5.5.0f3 Personal (64bit) - New Scene.unity - WXX-Rebirth - PC, Mac & L.png

(dithered 16-bit PSX style)
    2017-02-21 21_30_47-Unity 5.5.0f3 Personal (64bit) - New Scene.unity - WXX-Rebirth - PC, Mac & L.png

also, regarding our old discussion, there might be a possibility to have real and accurate shadows one day,
    stripping out the ones baked in by the designers, but only when I'm an really advanced state in the level editor

also I think I can even pull out smoother transitions in the track (see Gare d'Europa for instance),
    we didn't pay attention back then but now it's pretty obvious, i.e. get a truly 24-bit rendering

etc etc etc ... I'm spending all my time on the asset abstraction and level editor,
    goal is to finish these, pack the levels, create level behaviors, finally work on the game itself.

so, no game yet, but we're getting closer to it each day !

Dang, that's some complex weather you have there, hope you're ok ) Anyways I'm not planning on going anywhere any time soon so, be it 10 years or whatever, I'll still be around

Timezone
    GMT + 1

How do you like the retro-effect ?

Or do you only swear by Royale CRT
    (actually I've started working on my own but it's too early to show anything good)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

It's great

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aybe View Post
    How do you like the retro-effect ?

Or do you only swear by Royale CRT
    (actually I've started working on my own but it's too early to show anything good)
    The 16bit PSX style looks quite good Also you can always show some sneak peek of your own CRT wip
    Nope, I don't swear by CRT Royale ) there's much left to be desired with it too. There's always room for improvement.
    Then again, I'm only rockin' a 1080p TN... so, there's that... There's only so much one can ask from a shader.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

sorry I was kind of 'disconnected', 'no Wipeout eat/sleep/think/code'-punishment for almost an entire month, hope I'll get back on track soon

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Project updated, please take a look at the 1st post in the thread !

Cheers man for all your hard work! I don't have any more time for gaming anyways since I've switched countries... I hope BallisticNG will get better with your help

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks !!! Where did you relocate ?

I hope, too

Ireland.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

cool