Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massive update coming - February 19th

Timezone
    GMT -8

hi blackwiggle

Apologies for confusion re what you were talking about. We will be implementing a "first person" / strapped to the front of the craft Cam / Mad Max, Fury Road Cam ;-) over the coming months.

re "Boot Cam", I had to check this myself as I was sure I had heard of the view you describe being referred to as such. Not easy to find but here's one example to prove I'm not going mad:
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discus...e-from-grid/p4

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    The view where you don't see any of your own craft, just the track in front of you [nose cam if you like...if it were Boot cam it would be reverse view lol ]
    If you fire up WO HD, you have 3 views... Far ...slightly back and overhead of your own craft, Near ...closer, and more level horizontally to your own craft but still slightly above, and First Person view where you don't see your craft at all, and you are looking at the track as you would be if seated in the cockpit of a AG craft....this last one is the view requested ... see video below..... it's also the same racing view that has been available on every Wipeout, and the one used by most of the old time wipeout players, as it is the most immersive.

You should try racing in this view in 3D... Amazing!

As far as I remember, the only wipeouts that had the internal view with the sort of outline of the shape of the cockpit and some sort of mock up of a control panel in front of you were definitely wipeout Fusion, and possibly WO3....either way I never used those views, and that's not the race view I mean, that view obscured too much of the track, it was almost like losing peripheral vision.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    it's a futuristic take on what formula one might be like if it were AG based.
    I don't think that's an excuse for dodgy physics (and I mean video game physics, not real life physics).

I'm sorry to say, but being developed by original Wipeout devs and having been proclaimed as "Wipeout's spiritual successor" by pretty much everyone, I expect something similar in terms of gameplay.

There's only two natural, proven ways of making an AG racing game: the Wipeout way (dynamic and elastic) and the F-Zero way (rigid and fluid). They both work very well, anything in between is a waste of time in my opinion.

But I don't know why I'm even lingering over this game, I want the Wipeout universe and nothing else anyway

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by purdisc View Post
    hi blackwiggle

Apologies for confusion re what you were talking about. We will be implementing a "first person" / strapped to the front of the craft Cam / Mad Max, Fury Road Cam ;-) over the coming months.

re "Boot Cam", I had to check this myself as I was sure I had heard of the view you describe being referred to as such. Not easy to find but here's one example to prove I'm not going mad:
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discus...e-from-grid/p4

YAY!!!!
    The sooner the better.
    What a Beautiful day it will be

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm sure Xtriko, NZlion and the rest will be ecstatic when its made a real time update [I'll send them a PSN PM ], you should get some more constructive feedback from long term WO players, as they have not been testing up till now, because of this, 'Problem' .
    One hurdle over, only the big one to go [those F&*ing speed pad effects ]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    I'm sorry to say, but being developed by original Wipeout devs and having been proclaimed as "Wipeout's spiritual successor" by pretty much everyone, I expect something similar in terms of gameplay.
    THIS.
    This was officially proclaimed as being 'the spiritual successor to wipEout' by the devs themselves. As someone who sank over €150 into the TPP and Kickstarter, I have to say, I'm starting to feel cheated. It has become quite clear over the last couple of months that the guys at R8 either fail miserably at trying to recreate the wipEout feel, or aren't even trying at all. Sorry if this sounds bitter, but it is.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I understand your frustration eLhabib.

After playing this new update for a few hours, and then leaving it and mentally comparing it with the Wipeout series, something has been eating away at me, a feeling that things aren't how they should be, a basic 'Failure to communicate' to my racer within.

At first I couldn't work out what the problem was with FF as it is ATM, and where it plans to be...... what is the underlying difference between FF and Wipeout, why aren't we feeling any love for this game yet, surely we should be by now?

Forget craft handling, that can be fixed, and is supposedly going to be user adjustable anyway, as craft upgrades are unlocked [well I certainly hope that's still the case, if not we might be in trouble] .... but I still have Colin Berry's description on the Wipeout design process for track / craft still fresh in my mind, so I'm not really that worried about it.

The track designs themselves, well yes, a bit of a disappointment, when you consider that these are ex SL people, and you would have thought that if they were thinking about starting R8 ages ago, before they took the financial plunge they would of had better track designs already planned .... maybe they do, we just haven't seen them yet...... but in saying that, they are betting 'All in', so you would think they would want to play their strongest hand first up....... Only two tracks so far are at the point of 'No changes' as far as I see it, Manna Hatta and Niagara.

No, there is another basic difference between what R8 are doing, and what SL did.

Psygnosis and SL understood, that what made a successful racing game was to have a clear clean track with as few impediments to the racer as possible, other than the A.I during races.
    This clear clean basic track design made Wipeout highly replayable in SL & TT, you just wanted to keep getting better and faster, every PB had to be beaten, there has to be a faster line.
    Every track through the whole series where they deviated from that formula, was generally less liked, and they knew that, so historically, they didn't go for trick visual effects, that would of changed things detrimentally.

Now read the basic track breakdown in R8's own words in the TPP
    http://formulafusion.co.uk/index.php...a-tpp-testing/

I'll copy and paste selected portions from that, what I think the problem is.
    The track has a real ‘Blade Runner’ feel with all the accompanying grime and sewer fog you would expect. The track has a real under-the-blanket feel as a layer of thick cloud chokes the skyscrapers above.
    Visually, as you descend behind the wall of water you start to pick up spray on your screen; there are also sections of the track that have surface water which also generate spray. This can be used as a distraction mechanic for craft immediately behind.
    Dust clouds, surface dust, 360o tunnels, jumps, dual carriage way.
    The track itself has sections that are missing (this creates bottlenecks) and glass see-through sections. The outside bends on either side behave like quarter pipe sections in a skate park. The overall feeling should be that of severe vertigo.
    Features:Vertigo inducing transparent track textures, track holes, vertical sections, layered cloud/fogging. Quarter pipes.

All those portions I copied and pasted break away from what made Wipeout a success in one major area, they are all punitive to the racer visually, or so disorientating that they hardly make you want to do lap after lap of them, trying to bet a PB.

No replay value = No fun, No Fun = why bother, enough people think Why Bother = Bye Bye FF and R8.

PSN ID
    subtotal

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    THIS.
    This was officially proclaimed as being 'the spiritual successor to wipEout' by the devs themselves. As someone who sank over €150 into the TPP and Kickstarter, I have to say, I'm starting to feel cheated. It has become quite clear over the last couple of months that the guys at R8 either fail miserably at trying to recreate the wipEout feel, or aren't even trying at all. Sorry if this sounds bitter, but it is.

FF somehow plays like the offspring of wipeout and f-zero at the moment but I'm sure it will get there,

Without doubt it has got wipeout DNA
    Last edited by subtotal; 22nd February 2016 at 05:06 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

They also have a much smaller team working on the game, something that can't be ignored.

But from their output to date, it seems they have spent a lot of their time [time is money ] producing the visual effects seen so far, and probably testing effects we have yet to see.
    These effects would be fine in a RPG/ Adventure game for one example, where you walked into and area shrouded in mist /low clouds to give it some atmosphere, it would make you want to explore the area even more in case you missed something..... and I understand what they are attempting, in a 'Blade Runner look' on Manna Hatta.
    But what worked as a design element in a movie, and used as a effect could work well in a RPG / Adventure game, doesn't mean it will make the same transfer successfully in a racing game ....and I'm sorry, but it doesn't, it just hinders the racer, which the antithesis of the Wipeout way and what made it replayable

Try doing a few laps of Matta Hatta in the new cockpit mode, hitting as many speed pads as you can and tell me that's a visually pleasing and fun experience.
    Then try the night track, doing the same[it's even worse]
    Combine the fog, with the speed pad blur, and the accompanying nose flash, it's a mess, it's not just bad, it's sad, in that they think people want to race through this.
    Maybe if the speed pad blur and nose flash effect were able to be turn off, things might not be quite so bad, but realistically, it's the wrong design choice for a racing game.

You'll get a few that will say they like it now, but trust me, that's just the novelty factor of it ATM, they will soon tire of it, and if left in this design state will become one of the most detested tracks in the game to race on..... I can see the conversations in online chatrooms already....Host to others:What tracks do we want next?...Reply: Anything except Manna Hatta....pity really, because if it wasn't for the fog, the track is ok.

You will get the same response for other visual design choices on other tracks, that have the same effect as the fog does on Manna Hatta