Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout (the music) - rare stuff?

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Default Wipeout (the music) - rare stuff?

I spotted an interesting item on an auction site, managed to snag it for 13 euros (postage included). It's a CD entitled Wipeout (the music). I'm wondering whether this is a limited edition thingy, since I've never seen it mentioned anywhere - as opposed to the soundtrack album for WO2097.

Here is a scan of the cover.

And here is the tracklist:

Leftfield - Afro Ride
    Chemical Brothers - Chemical Beats
    New Order - Blue Monday (Hardfloor Mix)
    The Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Mix)
    Orbital - Wipeout (P.E.T.R.O.L)
    The Prodigy - One Love (The Narcotic Suite) (Edit)
    Manic Street Preachers - La Tristesse Dureara (Scream To Sigh)
    Sunscreem - When (K-Klass/Pharmacy Mix)
    BB Featuring Angie Brown - Good Enough (Gemini's Psychosis Mix)
    Robert Armani - Circus Bells (Hardfloor Remix)
    Dreadzone - Captain Dread
    The Shamen - Transamazonia (Deepdish Rockit Express Dub Mix)

Some rather interesting mixes in there, don't you agree?

Comments, please.

Oh yes - with the CD came this flyer

It wasn't a rare limited edition I'm afraid - it was openly on sale in yer average high street music store around the time that the original Wipeout was released back in 1995.

It's got the 3 licensed music tracks from the game - the Leftfield, Chem Bros and Orbital tracks - plus a load of other stuff cobbled together because it was kind of in the same vein. Some decent tracks though, that's for sure.

And here's an interesting fact for those who listen to UK radio. The girl on the flyer is none other than Radio One's Sara Cox (before she was famous I might add!).

Back in those days, she was a humble model hired from the Manchester Model Agency. And we really got in trouble for those 'bloody nose' ads - I remember The Sun newspaper carrying the headline 'KIDS GAME IN DRUG AD ROW!'.

I mean, what a cheek. 'Kids game'????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask you!

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    It wasn't a rare limited edition I'm afraid - it was openly on sale in yer average high street music store around the time that the original Wipeout was released back in 1995.

It's got the 3 licensed music tracks from the game - the Leftfield, Chem Bros and Orbital tracks - plus a load of other stuff cobbled together because it was kind of in the same vein. Some decent tracks though, that's for sure.
    This really puzzles me, if you relate to my recent post:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1046

Did I travel in time or did I play a WipEout with Chemical Brothers on the soundtrack back in *1995*?

/amber

If you played the European PAL version of Wipeout in 1995, then it DID feature the Chemical Brothers (and Orbital, Leftfield and Psygnosis' in-house music guy Cold Storage).

However, the NTSC version released in the States at the same time only featured Cold Storage, as Psygnosis' US office did not believe that it was worth the money to license the other stuff. They claimed that no one in the States was interested in dance music.

I'm afraid I don't know what then happened to the soundtrack - maybe the licenses only lasted for a certain length of time? Perhaps subsequent PAL reissues reverted to the Cold Storage-only soundtrack? I don't honestly know...... sorry.

I was always curious about that, since shortly before to shortly after the first game's release, I kept reading about it's licensed soundtrack, but when it came out, it only had Cold Storage. (not that I'm complaining. ) I've been meaning to ask about it, but always forgot. At least now I have a tracklist.

BTW, I would love to get a scan of that ad. I remember seeing it in Next Generation magazine and loving it. You've gotta admit that it does somewhat infer drug use, but it's pretty indirect. And most pop songs since the 60's that aren't about sex are about drugs. Or both.

And that ad is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    If you played the European PAL version of Wipeout in 1995, then it DID feature the Chemical Brothers (and Orbital, Leftfield and Psygnosis' in-house music guy Cold Storage).
    Thanks man! I started to suspect that I've lived a double-life as a time-cop along with J-C van Damme. :

/amber

Quote Originally Posted by AmishRobot
    BTW, I would love to get a scan of that ad. I remember seeing it in Next Generation magazine and loving it. You've gotta admit that it does somewhat infer drug use, but it's pretty indirect.
    Oh I do admit it. I seem to remember the official line at the time was that it was the game's intense speed that had caused the nose bleeds but, well, has that ever happened to you?

And to be honest, I think it turned out a lot more bloody than we originally envisaged - the make-up artist really went to town on it!!

Interestingly, the German press would not allow the ads to appear with the blood so alternative versions were shot for Germany in which the models had kind of passed out. In fact, they looked much worse than in the bloody nose ads, because it just looked like they were dead. Very disturbing.

I may have a scannable copy of the ad somewhere - no promises, but I'll have a root around and see if I can dig something out.

Don't think you went too far. If I recall correctly, the order in which I noticed it in the ad went something like this:
    "Cute chick."
    "Cute t-shirt."
    "Breasts!"
    "BLOOD!"

:

PSN ID
    Thorinx

the ads? i think i catched nearly both versions of it somewhere in the net (according to the filetime it must be over 2yrs ago...) pls better click the link and SAVE the images to disk rather then re-viewing them a couple of times, because thats a DIRECT link to my home machine and my upload bandwidth is quite low:

http://amigojack.no-ip.org/wo/index.html - have phun
    (who is sara cox? did i miss anything??)

oh - i just added 3 more pics because ive read a couple of threads (for a long time again) dealing with the topic "sega saturn" and other issues like "im collecting w'o''-material".

btw: i have BOTH soundtrack. the 2097 long before. and the silver one you said i just got the recent days via amazon. just to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmigoJack
    (who is sara cox? did i miss anything??)
    She currently presents the morning show on BBC Radio 1. She's pretty well known in the UK, though when she was selected for the Wipeout ads, she was unknown.

More info here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/saracox/

Default I Need Clothes

Talking about the flyer, where can i get the shirt that the guy is wearing?, was it a shirt specially made for the ad?, can i buy wipeout clothes anywhere? can somebody help me with this?

PS (Some "Future Sound of London" T-Shirts would be helpful too!)

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Well, I tried finding it, but man, did I know they could be so hard to find!!!! :x
    --
    Welcome to the Zone!!! I love the jokes on your site, they're awesome!!!! :

I've been hunting for that CD on and off for years, after initially passing it by becase, well, I already had most of the tracks.

Coincidentally enough, I actually bought it on Saturday - £2 at a car boot sale, and the flyer was still inside. Bargain!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

THE T-SHIRTS!!!!!!
    Man I been turning up & down the net for a kel solaar LOGO and there she sits with arials!
    that means solaars must be somewhere!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

maybe if we ask mano or one of the other good artists to draw a bigger one and then just print it and take it to the local "add my t-shirt picture" place.

By the way, like the ad, interesting thing for Sara Cox to have on her "before I was famous" CV

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Hey, ya Dim!!!! Maybe the Wipeout T-shirt made her famous!!!! :
    --
    Nah, I dought it. What was it that made Sara Cox so famous, anyway? To be honest, I never knew her until she was mentioned in these forums (I'm an American).
    --
    Good idea with the shirt. Perhaps we should do more than one!!!! :wink:

IIRC wasn't the original Wipeout playable in a CD player, or was that just 2097? One of them certainly was because I remember thinking it was really cool. The original TombRaider did the same, even down to the dialogue.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Frankie: yes, all installations of wipEout for Playstation are playable in a CD-player.

As are the PC releases, by the way. 2097 at least has tracks by Tim that the PS version doesn't.

Just going back to the subject of those shirts in the ad...

They were cheap one-offs that we made specifically for the ad shoot. We just had the logos transfer-printed onto the shirts by some local copy shop.

Sara Cox's was then slashed in half to make it a bit more... um... 'revealing'. And then they were pretty messed up with all the false blood and stuff.

They probably got chucked away, or else the models took them home.