Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: European Wipeout Convention 2016

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Looking very promising! Hm hmm!!! nearly a month after the Golf Championship! Need to work out the arrangements! fingers crossed here!

stevie

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by TheConzio View Post
    Australia
    Just kill Al and then Austr_ia is not only near but already within Europe.

In the past we also met in London, GB in 2013, which was quite surreal, as we had not one single cloud in the sky and a heatwave. Played the PSP titles a bit.

It'd be really cool to see old mates again, and to also meet the new guys. 2016 would be the 9th year already! Remember 2009 when eLhabib managed to come with 8 monitors, so we could play WO'HD tournaments, having (in theory) even 8 players in one race? Whew! Or the initial meeting in 2007 with so many people joining in!

Everybody who never joined such a meeting: do it. Expenses can be a bugger, yes. In the past every location (even London) could be reached via train. International train rides can be surprisingly non-expensive, you should definitly check them (als the opposite way, by looking on the website of the foreign train company). And then there might also be buses going to the city of interest - they're the most cheapest version (but also the ones needing the most time). Also in the past getting food and sleep was considerably low, starting from 8 EUR per night and ending at 30 EUR per night (if I recall correctly). In some cases sleeping even happened in one person's home.

Great to see the responses. But beware of the "only if" limbo: the less you decide, the more people do the same. This way 2014 was wasted. Just speaking from my experiences.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Location How likely I'm in
    Outside Europe 0%
    Europe 25%
    Central Europe 50%
    Germany 75%
    Westphalia 100%
    My city 200%
    My house 1000%

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Yeah you are right Michael, it's just hard to commit without knowing where we will be going Hope you are well though!

I think it was 2010 when eL brought all of those monitors, I journeyed back to CDG airport with him and that huge suitcase and had to witness him trying to chat up the check in lady to try and get some money off of the extra weight baggage lol. His charms failed but it was a valiant effort! Good times

Matthijs, good to hear you've been busy and that your family are doing great I'm gonna look up Scale racing so I know what you are talking about hehe, but impressive that you are doing so well at it My I can't believe Jonathan is an SSX player, I'm proud for you friend

Anywhere in NL would be the preferred destination for us, Amsterdam would be great especially since I've never been! Seen Schiphol airport many times but never actually seen the city if you can believe that. Why don't you put it to a vote then it can be decided by all?

Edit - Dre I just saw your post from before and I checked out the ferry to Hoek van Holland, sadly it runs from Essex which is miles away from us (we are up north) and it would most likely be a lot cheaper for us to fly, that would have been one awesome road trip though and thanks for offering
    Last edited by stinkleroy; 6th October 2015 at 11:19 PM.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Hello all you boys and girls! I'd like to take you to the inside world. It's quite irregular place to be, but never fear, you're safe with me.
    Well, maybe.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    you're safe
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    Well, maybe.
    Your mileage may vary, but in the past each of us amplified safety for the whole group.

Ah, stinkleroy - that's also ages ago, sadly. I will enjoy every single one seeing again, no matter who. Plus the new ones. Seriously, I can't remember one guy who I even tended to dislike.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Matthijs had used some song lyrics I recognised to open his post, so I was finishing the line for him.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Lol @ MSSA. Indeed lyrics from PRIMUS!

@ everyone: AmigoJack and I will sort out the location very soon so we can start planning.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LevitatingFatMan/LsDre86

Amsterdam, frankfurt, paris, l dont care. Atm l'm the greatest WO fan that excists l think... l will be there and l pick everyone up that is on my route

PSN ID
    DIXI200

Wonderful initiative ... I like to think that I could be there
    I visited the Netherlands .. but many years ago, I'd love to go back with my wife.
    Paris and Frankfurt do not know, could be a good opportunity.
    There is a long time to organize, look to know the location

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thank you for the enthousiastic reactions. Hopefully more will join. You will experience a superb event.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Didn't know about the lyrics, mea culpa. But you can tell me the full story when we meet.

To recap what we did the years before, which might tease a couple of people to seize their chance on the 10th installment:
    1. 2007-03-23 to 2007-03-25: Amsterdam, NL
      = The Euro convention of WipEout in Amsterdam!
      The first one, the biggest one. Lots of people, finally we all meet. First time experiencing tournament conditions with PSPs.

2. 2008-03-21 to 2008-03-23: Amsterdam, NL
      = The European Wipeout Convention 2008
      Same place. With official prizes to win and even participation gifts. Started to snow.

3. 2009-05-01 to 2009-05-03: Frankfurt am Main, DE
      = The European Wipeout Convention 2009, third edition.
      First time HD tournaments. 8 monitors and PS3s hooked up! Almost hurried, since always off the schedule for all the races. Lots of Schnitzel.

4. 2010-04-01 to 2010-04-03: Paris, FR
      = The European Wipeout Convention 2010, fourth edition!
      Special hostel lounge just for us. Lots of french participants. HD races again.

5. 2011-08-19 to 2011-08-28: Heerhugowaard/Amsterdam, NL
      = Wip'EURO'ut 5
      Less tournaments. Meeting, barbecueing, visiting beach, great time.

6. 2012-10-25 to 2012-10-28: Frankfurt am Main, DE
      = The European Wipeout Convention 2012, sixth edition.
      Full tournaments again: HD, Pure, Pulse. Sadly this time it ends with Temet being injured. Visited him in hospital afterwards.

7. 2013-07-11 to 2013-07-14: London, GB
      = European Wipeout Convention 7
      Meeting, no tournaments. Unreal weather for London: no clouds, hot as hell - even during the night. Great sightseeing.

8. 2014 (did not happen): Frankfurt am Main/Köln, DE
      = European WipEout Convention 8
      Decision hell: nobody wanted to choose a date.

9. 2015 (did not happen)
      This year I moved apartments and never considered initiating a convention.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

If I'm available, count me in!
    New home, new job this year... couldn't take holidays this summer ... so I plan going far away for 3 weeks summer 2016

PSN ID
    Sonu95_

I'll pencil it in . somehow managed to miss the previous ones in London

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Temet is still alive! Seems like I haven't been the only moving apartments since our last meeting.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FlintFandango or RennFlint or Flint Fandango (PS4)

Hi there, long time no type!
    Rennfisch and me would love to participate, if time permits. It also depends on the location, which is why we would prefer Frankfurt, if that is debatable and available?!
    That would be great, because we could bring some equipment along, such as a TV, PS2/3, controllers, games, accessory cables and whatnot.
    I really hope we can find a consensus!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MiKuDev

Hey!

You can count me in too. I would like to see you guys again and see the new faces As usual I would be able to take every game and equipment needed for the tournament for myself at least.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

REALLY wish I could go to one of these someday! Alas!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LevitatingFatMan/LsDre86

I should be able to fix 3 or 4 monitors btw, maybe even more if that's required

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Sounds good, J.666! And of course I'd like to see dreamerx again

Well then, we could set it up in/near Frankfurt again in 2016. Haven't played HD in ...years. Any preferred season or date?

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all of you - I'll be with my family and friends. Hope you guys do the same.