Thread: Feedback thread - v0.0.4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Default Feedback thread - v0.0.4

v0.0.4 has finally been released on Steam Early Access and is now available to the public and to Kickstarter subscribers. Please use this thread to discuss any issues you encounter with this version and to give any general feedback. I will post a new thread every time a new version is released so we have an easily traced backlog of what has been addressed between versions. I'll be doing a video on this version in the near future, but please post your thoughts here for the time being.

My general impressions so far are as follows:

• At the moment, the handling feels very "flat". There is no floatiness to the craft and it sticks firmly to the track. Despite that it does feel smooth, albeit it does feel like there is a small amount of control lag. It might be because I'm not used to racing with an analog stick (no d-pad controls) but there you go. Without airbraking, the craft feels very heavy and it is near impossible to navigate the test track without using them. This might put off prospective newcomers who are unfamiliar with the airbraking system.
    • The HUD is an absolute mess. R8 have gone for a "chase" HUD, in that the details follow the tail of your craft like in Split/Second. However, it works in SS because there is only a little information that you actually need from the HUD, namely how much power you have to set off PowerPlays. It's bright and easy to follow even in the middle of a race. Here though, it is incredibly difficult to read, which makes it all but useless while racing. Try to read it and you're hitting a wall. The fonts also do not appear to display correctly, with parts of certain characters missing. Like what happens when you try to anti-alias text. And to top it all off, your craft's ion train goes straight through the middle of the HUD, so even if it were legible, you couldn't see it anyway!
    • Rather than random pickups at the moment, you choose which weapon you want to equip your craft with before the race and it activates whenever you run over a weapon icon. With 10 craft per race, good luck actually trying to pick up a weapon! I've gone whole races without having any opportunity to pick up anything. Probably a good thing, because the rockets are horribly overpowered, one hit taking down half your shields. I have absolutely no idea what the barrier is supposed to do, I've never actually got it to do anything at all. Restoring shield energy is done by collecting floating shield icons on the track. Each one restores about 10% of your shield. Nowhere near enough to mitigate the damage caused by rockets. It is common to see a lot of eliminations, which leads me to believe this build has gone way too far down the combat route.
    • Speed pads are way too overpowered. The FOV effect when you hit one is quite jarring as it is, but the overall speed gain from hitting one is huge. If you're not ready for it, you'll easily slam into a wall. If you are, you get to keep most of the speed you gained from the pad pretty much until you hit something. Speed pads in Wipeout provided a subtle speed boost - enough to make a difference after a fair few but not enough to allow you to put up an insurmountable lead. The effect needs to be heavily toned down for the sake of balance.

Nonetheless, what little we have to work with so far actually feels quite good. I've found it quite enjoyable just cruising round on Time Trial mode, and to be honest with these early builds that's what you really need.
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 3rd August 2015 at 02:46 PM.

Nice report - just about to fire it up I will let you know

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed:

- Its far too 'flat'. Its just not as exciting as previous wipEout iterations due to being 'stuck' on the ground.

- Speed pads are probably the worst I've ever seen/felt in a wipEout game. This for me is 'where the money is'. It does not feel like you have a burst of acceleration like previous games as it is so overpowered. Feels like too much of a disconnect when you hit the boost.

- Ship design. If only they got Dean Ashley to design the craft

- Music. Top notch and loving the new tunes.

I really think the handling + speed boost needs fixed asap.
    Last edited by Mu5; 3rd August 2015 at 10:28 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I haven't been able to get it to load, I decided to put off trying again till the problem they had with Steam was sorted late Monday, which early Tuesday morning here.
    Guess I'll give it another shot when I get home from work today.

From the video I've seen, it's looking, and handling [speed pad issues HellFire mentioned], like a cross between Wipeout and Blur, which isn't surprising as you have people that went to Bizzare Creations to make Blur from Psygnosis/SL, that are now at R8.

I know it's early days, but..

Problem for me personally is that I never liked Blur [floating icons you run into annoy me no end ], so I never bought it.....so I hope for my sake FF doesn't doesn't go down this path too much, otherwise I can see myself also giving FF a miss.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I'm pleased i'm not the only one who hates the floating icons... pads are much better.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's just a hang up I have about racing games.....if R8 want people to take FF seriously as a racing game, you don't go putting in aspects of a arcade karting game that obstructs the drivers field of view, playing this at any speed in cockpit mode [always my preferred view in racing games ] is just going to be a game killer for me.

When you add in the trail effects of any craft in front of you [option to turn off please as effects HUD reading as mentioned], the HUD [when they sort that], weapons going off, track lighting effects, and the blur effect speed pads have [option to turn off please, like WO HD ]......You'd be lucky to be able to see much of the track at all.

Perhaps they could still have the icons floating, but just off the surface of the track horizontally, not vertically, like WO pads except floating...that might work, but as it is...sorry, losing interest already.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I can totally agree with the hologram pickups, especially if you're flying internal, i didn't find them too bothersome when flying though, but i can understand that it gives a really arcady feel
    They still have a lot to do to make it great, definitely not a fan of the current handling, track design could be more wild and 100% agreed on OP speed pads and rockets

I wrote a full feedback thingy on the r8 forums,b ut i'm not gunna post it here cuz it's a bit of a giant wall XD (But if you're interested, here it is; http://formulafusion.co.uk/index.php...t&comment=1952 )

I'm not really going to be testing/looking at every update though, only when something major's changed

And i'm really happy i'm not the only one who dislikes the ship design, they said there will be different designs at the highest speed class, but all the others will be these :/ (Maybe they'll re-consider )

Cipher