Thread: the "track04" folder

Anyone know anything about this?

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's an explination:

There are 8 courses in Wipeout XL/2097. (and no, I'm not going to go through and name them all off)

But if you insert the PSX disc into a computer and look at the files, you'll notice that there are 9 folders for the tracks. (track01,02,04,06,07,08,13,17,20)

Upon comparing it to the PC version, "track04" is the extra track folder.

Upon exploring the contents of the folder, it becomes obvious that this is correct, as half the files have "alpha" and "bonus" written somewhere in their name.

It's also noteworthy that the track appears to have no checkpoints, as there are no files for such (as compared to the other track folders)

Upon exploring the files themselves I came up with this:

TRACK INFO::
    ============
    dbName = /server/people/dcrook/terminal
    sceneName = silver-track.3-0
    outName = bonus
    total vertex count = 1953
    total polygon count = 1871
    sizeof( Face ) = 20 bytes
    sizeof( Section ) = 156 bytes
    Last Command Line Used:::
    track10 /server/people/dcrook/terminal/SCENES/silver-track.3-0.dsc bonus
    So, my best guess is that the tracks name is "Terminal" and it's maybe a snowy track?

Anyone know anything of this?

isnt Terminal the last track in Wip3out?

i have a cracked version, and it doesnt have a track 04 folder, just the other eight that you list. dammit.

Blah, I meant to say that when I said
    Upon comparing it to the PC version, "track04" is the extra track folder.
    Didn't come out quite right though...

But yeah, that track folder's not in the PC version.

Otherwise I would have swiped it for one of the other track folders in an instant.

isnt Terminal the last track in Wip3out?
    Yeah, I know what you're getting at, but this one looks to be unrelated.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

on my Sega-Saturn copy of W'O''2097 (YEAH!!!!! FINALLY GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) i cant say if there exists this track data. its a huge wad file where everything is kept in (and its also done by "Tantalus", like the first wipEout was converted by them from PSX, so i guess converting Wip3out from PSX to Sega Saturn wouldnt be a problem for them, but you know............. sony went "my-platform-only-support")

this looks like a job for gameshark

i have seen those tracks before...i read somewhere that they are prototype tracks...only on the ps1 version of wo2097XL....if you find out how to use them let me know!

Track04 mystery unveiled....

Ok it was a special track that was planned to be hidden in the game. (Even more hidden than the 2 hidden tracks!)

It was kind of an after thought and it wsn't like the other tracks. It was to be set in space with a lot of tunnelling ie, so scenery would not have to be modelled.

It was a super high speed circuit (basically an oval) with a MASSIVE vertical shaft drop.

The problem was that the shaft didn't work properly and there were difficulties with extracting the track. As such, a call was made to drop it, but a version of the data for it remained on the disk.

As far as I know, there is no way of accessing the track and even if you could get the game to access it, it would probably not work.

zone

Wow.

This track really looks like Fusion's Katmoda 12 :smile:

Needless to say, I think that Studio Liverpool picked up that idea.
    Otherwise it would be a huge coincidence.

Hey, that sounds pretty cool.

How did you find out about that zone, if you don't mind me asking? Did you actually work on the game(along with Nick and the rest), or did you just read it off of a website?

Hmmm, now it definitely sounds like a job for the Gameshark.... even if it does crash easily, so did the Darktooth codes for Twisted Metal 2. Still had a wickedly cool time with it though.

Anyway, thanks for the info, zone.

It's been a while since I've played Wipeout 2097, I've never owned a copy myself up until a week ago when I found the PC version in Australia!!! (I've been waiting 3 years to get W-2097 for my computer, but no shop in this country stocked it, only playstation versions, up until DiCE Computer Games got into the PC distribution of it...)
    I mastered the PS1 version a few years ago (97/9 and I seem to recall there being 10 tracks (8 and 2 prototype tracks), I can't remember much about these tracks except they had no textures, - I could be way off here and the untextured tracks might be in 'Wip3out' and not the 2nd game...
    - I don't remember exactly how to get them, but I'm pretty sure it was after challenge1 and challenge2, with golds on all levels with all ships, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the Phirana?!?!?! does that sound right?
    has anyone done this and not played the untextured tracks???
    Damn! - If I only had a playstation...

DWF.

there are four prototype untextured unscenicked circuits available as bonuses in wipeout 3. these are won by completing every course with every team in a class while getting a medal, which does not have to be gold, with every combination. you're awarded one prototype track for each class. in wipeout 3, this has nothing to do with Pirhana, as it is not a bonus team, nor is it the fastest ship.

btw, welcome to the wipeoutzone!