PDA

View Full Version : New Nintendo 3DS vs Old Nintendo 3DS, the difference

Snakenator1
15th January 2015, 09:40 PM
So as far as I'm aware many users of this forum have a 3DS of sought and may know about the new one. All my friends ask me what the difference is so I thought it might be useful to tell members and guests to this forum the difference between the newer and older models so if you want to buy a 3DS then I can provide some basic but useful info about it for you. So here we go.

PROS:
- The newer 3DS has received multiple hardware upgrades to the CPU, battery, 3D functionality and more. The biggest advantage to the new model is that it now has a Head Tracker
Basically this tracker locates your position relative to the 3DS's screen so it can compensate for the 3D mode, remember that the older model you had to be in a specific spot for the 3D to work without giving you headaches. The Tracker has negated this con by altering the 3D perspective relative to where your looking at the screen. So now you can move your head left and right from the screen and still see the 3D without getting migraine.

- BATTERY LIFE HAS BEEN EXTENDED! HUZZAH :D
For me this is the best Pro, bigger batteries for longer play sessions which varies between the new 3DS models

Normal: 3.5 - 7 hours
XL (LL): 4 - 7.5 hours
(please don't quote me on this)

- New CPU and increased RAM memory for faster web browsing, higher frame rate, better graphics and faster gameplay. The new CPU will allow the new 3DS to run on HTML5 which is pretty good for web surfing now and increases the reliability of the system and its applications.

- Addition of ZR and ZL shoulder button and an extra circle pad
This means that games will have better controls since the restriction of buttons from the older model is no longer a problem, better controls means better gameplay.

- Amiibo support
Well, a nice add on. Not much more can be said currently :)

- It will be a cheap release compared to the first 3DS
Normal 3DS with the customization plates will be around £150 ($227.65)
XL is about £180 ($273.18 )
Again please don't quote me on these figures

And many more Pros can be listed but I won't for now

Sadly though there are cons

CONS:
- No backwards compatibility
You cannot play all of your old 3DS games on the new model except for some recent releases (E.g.: Super Smash Bros)
Why? The new CPU. Basically the older games are not optimized to run at the speed the new CPU will offer meaning that they cannot be used. Likewise any new games for the 3DS may not work on the older models as their CPU is to slow and cannot handle the power these games will require. So if you don't want a new 3DS you'll soon be screwed for new games as they are phased out.
However I'm not sure if this applies for standard DS games, I will test it if I get a new 3DS

- America cannot buy the smaller version of the new 3DS
Nintendo is only releasing the XL (LL) variants in America so it'll be more expensive

- Small Launch title library
Not many games have been announced for the new 3DS so there aren't many games exclusive to the system, however since smash bros is still compatible along with a few others you can negate this slightly. Another problem is that some of the games will be ports (E.g.: Luigi's Mansion 2 will be ported to the 3DS but I am unsure if you must pay for a full retail price which would BS in my eyes)

At the end of the day its up to you, eventually games will no longer work on the old model so an upgrade might be necessary for you. BUT we got a lot of games to look forward to on the newer model and the system has received upgrades that were vital in my eyes. I hope I have helped inform some of you guys on the differences so you can make a decision if you want a new 3DS or not.

Hybrid Divide
15th January 2015, 11:12 PM
From what I've read, even most regular DS games will be compatable with the new 3DS.

Even though I planned on getting an XL, I still wish the US had the option of the smaller one.

Sheesh, the US gets screwed a lot in gaming. It's even rougher as a WipEout fan...