PDA

View Full Version : Bad Psygnosis/SL Games?

keg_11
15th October 2014, 08:21 AM
I had just played Formula 1 98 for the first (proper) time tonight, and I was shocked as to what I had experienced: the steering is very slight and the speed effect is all wrong. As it turned out, the game had been developed by Visual Sciences (worked on Lemmings, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, GTA 1 PS1) because Bizarre Creations (Formula 1/Formula 1 97 devs) left Psygnosis & Psygnosis's first choice, Reflections Interactive, declined so they can work on the original Driver. IGN gave the game 7.3/10, way lower than the 9/10 F197 got.

This raises a question: we all know Psygnosis/SL have made some really good games, not including Wipeout. But, as human nature, we make mistakes. Is there any other games that Pygnosis/SL made when "...they should've known better"?

(This is out of curiosity, not to blast the company)

Ace3000
15th October 2014, 08:31 AM
Some people would probably say WipEout Fusion, but honestly, after first hand experience, I actually like it.

Xpand
15th October 2014, 09:09 AM
I would say WO Fusion if all I experienced from it were the looks. But having played it I have to say it's a pretty fun game once you get over the quirky physics and design.

Jonny
15th October 2014, 09:49 PM
WipEout Fusion is awesome, because it's unique.
From the Formula 1 games I would say that '98 is indeed a bad game, '97 was awesome in every way, but '98 meh. I don't know '99-'02, don't own them. But 2003-> AI lines are stupid and you need to accelerate with the right stick (wtf?). I would say that F1 2005 is the best F1 game by SL, beside the penality system. And the engines of that year (good ol' 3.0l V10s) always let you turn up the volume. My father doesn't likes that (damn inefficient V8 lover, it's no fun to visit this years races with him).

- - - Updated - - -

Many probably say it's F1 2006 (that I don't own) because it features the new Qualy-system and formation laps.

Snakenator1
15th October 2014, 11:09 PM
Fusion is one of those "you either love it or you hate it" games. Like Jonny said the game took a more unique approach with its physics, as in when your ship starts getting damaged you take on mechanical damage to. So lose part of your wing and your agility is reduced.

Perhaps a big turn off for fusion is that quirk with the damage system and the aggressive AI, I mean really aggressive as they want your head on a stick. You get constantly hit by weapons and take damage. After so many hits navigating a track becomes a frustrating ordeal and getting 1st is impossible then. I imagine a lot of people rage quitting because of this :P
And when people get frustrated with a game they'll hate it forever, spread their opinion and turn off others. This is why games like fusion have a bad reputation.

But I love fusion because its challenging and hard, modern games are becoming so easy now for me and its not even fun then. The AI in fusion is no push over and are very difficult to beat sometimes. Beating them in a race on some of the hardest tracks in the series is a lot more satisfying as I feel my skills were truly put to the test. That is why I love wipeout fusion :)

keg_11
16th October 2014, 12:49 AM
But 2003-> ...you need to accelerate with the right stick (wtf?).

Seriously? Absolutely no provision for digital whatsoever?!

Ace3000
16th October 2014, 08:12 AM
when your ship starts getting damaged you take on mechanical damage to. So lose part of your wing and your agility is reduced.

You could turn that off in the Options, though.

Jonny
16th October 2014, 11:26 AM
You could also turn off the weapons :P

As I said, sometimes I think that cutting off my hand with a spoon would be more fun and productive than plying Fusion and fai and fail and fail. But when you lead in the final lap and then another guy overtakes you, you just want to run head on into a wall.

@keg_11: Well, I play with a PSX analog controller, but in the options I can't find a controller setup where you can accelerate with X (that was usual at that time.