PDA

View Full Version : Green League 2014-2015

mannjon
13th October 2014, 06:28 AM
Hey folks. I just had a brilliant idea for a league type series of events.

Though Wipeout has always been a combat racing game, there are those of us who shun weapons for speed. In my own personal opinion, we are the best of the best of the best. Who needs weapons when you can get a 10 second lead?

So anyways, I am going to be starting a league type of series of events that focus on speed, tricks, and racing lines. Here are the details:

1. NO OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE WEAPONS! GREEN PICKUPS ONLY!!!! I cannot stress this enough. IF you fire a single weapon once, you lose the tournament/race/series/whatever. You can use autopilot, you can use shields (*though pointless*), and you can use turbos. If it isn't green, you better absorb it. I plan to use a very specific rubric for determining scores. For example, anyone that achieves a high roller, evasion master, or pristine badge will bet bonus points win or lose. I really want to place the emphasis on good lines. I feel it is only fair to reward a pilot some points for trying to adhere to the general spirit of the league even in a loss.

2. NO RAMMING!!! The point of this series is to see who really has mastered rolls and lines. This should be viewed as an event where your main competition should be yourself. PLEASE don't smack into someone intentionally.

3. This is POST-PATCH only. Times don't really matter when dealing with post/pre patch at the same time. For this series, everyone must use the post-patch physics. This is just in case I decide to have a speed lap/TT event.

4. Yes, there will be multiple game modes and speeds. For example: I don't see why a zone battle couldn't be held in the same manner. Yes, it would take some time, but the experience would be like an online multiplayer zone mode. NO BOOSTS, only absorb.

5. The main focus here is to be able to get some better top times. IF everyone is only using turbos and shields, this is a dream come true for rankings whores (*myself included*). Just think: if you know for a fact that you won't lose time to a stray weapon, you control your own performance. Think of it like a multiplayer time trial.

6. There will be teamplay for the initial season. I would like to see people team up in groups of 2-4. Depending on the interest, 2 pair teams might be a good fit. If more people want to join the fun, 4 might be the better option. I do want to stress a team play aspect here. If enough people decide to play, it would be awesome to have teams pair up against one another and maybe have some type of elimination for a final event. You would win or lose as a team, and place records as an individual.

7. Eliminations will have an impact on score. If you eliminate yourself, you should lost points due to poor racing. If you eliminate someone else however, that goes against the green racing spirit, and you should lose points. Long story short, if you take first, but eliminate your way there, you will incur a penalty, NOT a first place win. This just isn't how green league rolls. Think of it like a pass-interference call in American football. If you resort to illegal tactics to win a match, you will be penalized no matter how good you race.

Interested yet? Please drop a line if you are. I would love to see this get going. But I need some volunteers first. Let me know if you want to join or if you have a problem with the rules. I want to make this happen, so I'm totally flexible.

Ace3000
13th October 2014, 08:57 AM
I'd be okay with this, I'd love to take part in it!

Maciek1704
13th October 2014, 10:28 AM
I'm interested ;)
Maybe can we make some events from WO2048? :o

Snakenator1
13th October 2014, 10:55 AM
This sounds awesome, I love green races so count me in :)

Not wanting to be picky but I like to point some problems:
1. Zone battle with no boosts means who is 1st on the leaderboard at the start will win, end of story. Very biased and pointless :P
2. How can we tell if a collision with each other was intentional. I could simply scratch you due to confinement and be accused of attacking and ramming.

I think that is it. I am definitely in support though *adds name to register* :D

mannjon
13th October 2014, 03:32 PM
Those are good points snake. It may be hard to green race in zone mode. Although there are few people that can make it to zone 55 unscathed. I just might have to experiment with that one. There are barrel rolls that make up for it though, and you still get a boost with each speed pad. Long story short, I think that it would be possible, maybe the score is based on a different rubric or something.

As far as intentional ramming goes, I don't many people that do it. I also trust that anyone interested in green racing likely wouldn't do it anyway. It isn't something that you can really control, but it is nice to mention anyways.

I also think there might could be a GT component we could do. I can't remember who first mentioned it, but someone wanted to do an eliminator round where you don't pick up weapons. You get 5 points per lap of course, and you would race many laps. For example, an eliminator round to 200 points is a 40 lap race. You can barrel roll, but if you explode, you not only lose your position, but you lose 5 points as well. I think that would be a test of wills on Phantom, similar to a zone mode experience.

Snakenator1
13th October 2014, 04:13 PM
The Zone battle is a tricky one to figure out, since the game registers the person in 1st place hitting the next Zone milliseconds before the other players. It would mean they hit the target first and win, so in the end it would come down to random chance as to who wins which is just pointless really :P

Oh wait here's a thought! The winner of the ZB could be the person who absorbs the least amount throughout the event.
This could work since if we're doing this league to find the best green leaguer, the person who absorbs the least amount means their navigation skills and racing lines at high speeds must be very good. It also means they avoided taking damage from opponents as much as possible.

So an example scenario:
Pilot A absorbed 7 times
Pilot B absorbed 2 times
Pilot C absorbed 4 times

The winner is pilot B for he took the least amount of damage throughout the event. This can work since all the pilots would of hit say 54.9 zones except for 1st place who hit 55 which is minimal time difference and so little time to absorb again (about one second)
There are a few other quirks that I will have to figure out though for this to be an actual implemented event for ZB, but its a thought ;)

That eliminator sounds like a great idea though :+

Rapier Racer
13th October 2014, 04:41 PM
I suspect a great deal of trust would be required when it comes to the ramming. I've played HD against Knux in the same room on a different TV side by side. On her screen it appeared I rammed the **** out of her ship but on mine I passed by cleanly. This has happened a few times, net connection is solid with low low pings so I assume its the games prediction code or something.

TheConzio
14th October 2014, 09:52 AM
I'm in :)

Although my internet makes my ship look like it was meant to be in a pinball machine.