PDA

View Full Version : mad fanatics of all wipeouts

piranha wiper
18th July 2003, 06:12 PM
wen i first bought my playstation in 1996 i got wipeou as one of my first games and i still have it today. then i got wipeout 2097 and wip3out in 1998 then fusion last year but i sold coz it was a second hander and it didnt work properly so im getting a brand new one :D. i was wondering if any one else has all the wipeouts, because this wipeout series, well boys and girls, is the best damn racing series for a very long time.

piranha wiper says peace out.

oh p.s. Who thinks we should have a pertition for the bringin out of original wipeout with the original traks, crafts and better graphics or would it be better to keep the original as it is to sho what a classic it is.

Lance
18th July 2003, 08:43 PM
um... actually, you don't have anywhere near all the Wipeouts. there are some that you don't seem to have heard of yet. such as WO64, Wipeout original and 2097 for Saturn. WO3SE. WO2097/XL for the Mac, etc

RJ O'Connell
18th July 2003, 10:56 PM
Of course,the Sega Saturn was a piece of crap on a stick,so why evne bother getting that version? :lol:

xEik
18th July 2003, 11:29 PM
Yes, sure. If you say so it must be true... :roll:

NiktheGreek
19th July 2003, 08:44 AM
Of course,the Sega Saturn was a piece of crap on a stick,so why evne bother getting that version? :lol:
Dunno about you, but I have a Saturn, PS and N64, and of all of them I've probably had most fun playing Saturn games. True, it may not have been the best of the consoles technically, but when you can play Fighters Megamix, Sega Rally, Wipeout 2097, NiGHTS and House of the Dead on it who really cares?

As for having all the wipeout versions, I'd say that he really only needs WO3SE and WO64 - I'm not gonna really count having a copy for all the different systems a version was on...

Lance
19th July 2003, 11:59 AM
even if O'Connell's assertion about the Saturn were true [ which as far as i can tell, it isn't ], this would matter little to completists who wish to collect Everything, not only the games, but associated artwork and CDs

piranha wiper
20th July 2003, 10:47 AM
well i dont see the point in getting the wipeouts for saturn mac and n64 coz i dont have these and besides ther isny any shops that sell these

Lance
20th July 2003, 01:47 PM
you can get them in pawn shops and on ebay. it isn't worth the trouble to some people. to other people, it is. just an individual thing

piranha wiper
20th July 2003, 06:48 PM
yeah i no wat u mean lance, ive done it but its the collection of playstation versions. :)

rodwipE
19th September 2003, 09:33 PM
It seemed to me that wipEout on Saturn was dumbed down so you could beat the challenges first shot. It was also extremely jerky.
wipEout 64 is a fantastic edition to the series, especially if you favour 2097. It's worth picking up an N64 just for this game. They're cheap enough to justify it.

piranha wiper
20th September 2003, 08:21 AM
i coul just buy the game coz my mates got a n64, ne ways im getin fusin and wip3out soon WAHEY, so then i can have then all and i might number 1 as well just to get the box coz mine is nacked(its 4 years old can ya blame me?)

rodwipE
20th September 2003, 09:45 PM
Don't blame you at all. I bought spare copy of wipEout 2097 recently. It's also a great link up game so a second copy is essential.

Makai
17th December 2003, 02:04 PM
Wipe'out''
Wipe'out''2097
Wip3out
Wip3out SE

All for psone, and all bought a few days after their launch.
It's my treasure :D

JABBERJAW
18th December 2003, 02:39 AM
These two actually run quite nicely on the saturn, and feel different than the psx version

Shem
18th December 2003, 05:44 PM
Hey, Pirahna wiper, I'd sign up for this petition if it was possible at all, but i think it's not.
I mean, who would have put his gratests efforts to develop a game for a bunch of fanatics?
I'm really into ressurecting the original wipeout, really, I'd love to see the tracks in Hi-res, with lots of new textures and all these gizmos which make my eyes wet while playing.
It's not gonna happen though, I guess.
There's other thing I haven't mentioned. Your imagination. Wipeout had very simple, yet - clear graphic design, which made me imagine lots of things while i was piloting.
If I didn't make myself clear - there's an example: do you see the prototype tracks on W3O as they are, or you imagine the elements of the tracks while piloting (the question is if you have time to do so, but this is a different issue)?
It's a very individual thing for everyone who played the mentioned games.
And what's that got to do with the reedition of the first W'O? Well, I don't want a developer to destroy my imagined picture of W'O as I see it.
Kinda complicated, if so - read again :)

P.S. - Although the things I wrote - I'd still like to see a reedition of W'O. Now it gets even more complicated..... :D

piranha wiper
6th June 2004, 08:09 PM
how come nothing ever stays the same if pysgnosis was in charge of fusion it would be alot better

Lance
6th June 2004, 09:34 PM
what's left of Psygnosis was in charge of Fusion, and is now in charge of Wipeout Pure. Psygnosis became part of Sony long ago and is now their Liverpool studio. this has been mentioned many times in past threads. we should probably make that information part of a site FAQ

yuusen
7th June 2004, 04:17 PM

<skating on thin ice>to state that one has all the wipeouts is to state that one has all the wipeouts, not all those that they deem subjectively worthy of being classed as wipeout. to do so would be arrogant.

masturbatorally seeded thread.</skating on thin ice>
+
i am quite truly amazed, however at what brilliant facts can come out of almost anything. i had no idea that there were wipeouts for the saturn, which i guess makes me kinda ignorant.

i'd love to play them.

¥

satriani
7th June 2004, 05:59 PM
Am I seeing things or being naive? :o

masturbatorally seeded thread.</skating on thin ice> :o :o Frankie Howard would have had a fiekd day. Titter ye not.

piranha wiper
7th June 2004, 07:38 PM
yuusen said:
<skating on thin ice>to state that one has all the wipeouts is to state that one has all the wipeouts, not all those that they deem subjectively worthy of being classed as wipeout. to do so would be arrogant.

what the bloody hell does that mean by the way?????????

Lance
7th June 2004, 07:49 PM
it means that to claim that one owns all the Wipeouts worth owning is self-centered, ignorant, arrogant, and juvenile, and that it's therefore better not to claim such things

yuusen
7th June 2004, 07:55 PM

yes. theoretically, you could get cought out.

¥

piranha wiper
7th June 2004, 07:56 PM
oh dear, i seem to be all of these then (hangs head in shame) i shall only speak of having all but one wipeouts for the playstations :oops:

yuusen
7th June 2004, 08:01 PM

i had no idea that there were wipeouts for the saturn, which i guess makes me kinda ignorant.
its quite easily done. i find myself backspacing a lot when writing posts; rephrasing myself. its hard to be enthusiastic about something and remain modest as it is always nice to be famous in some way within ones peer group. many people forget that someone can be famous for simply keeping things real.

¥

Lance
7th June 2004, 08:06 PM
good choice, PW :)

''cought''
um... past tense of cough? ;)
''yer 'onour, i coodn't rightly see just then as i 'd just cought up a gob o' green goo that were big enough as cood choke an 'orse.''

yuusen
7th June 2004, 08:12 PM

"arr, oi cought a fish the uvver day, 'e were THIS BIG. poor bugger were coughtin' an' splutterin' so oi chucked 'im baack."

¥

Lance
7th June 2004, 08:19 PM
sounds just like that old farmer on ''are you being served, again'' or whatever the title of that department-store-ex-employees-running-inn-in-the-country tv series is. the one with mollie sugden and frank thornton and others

yuusen
7th June 2004, 08:22 PM

lol! the name mollie sugden makes me giggle each time i hear or read it.

im not entirely sure but are you reffering to 'upstairs downstairs'?
-
webmaster palmer says : "get orf moi LAAAAN!"

¥

Lance
7th June 2004, 08:34 PM
no, not Upstairs, Downstairs. over here the first part of the series is called ''Are You Being Served?''. a group of characters work for the Grace Brothers department store. when ''young'' Mister Grace dies, the store is closed and the employees are given a 'severance' package that consists of an old country house that they turn into and inn. this event starts the second embodiment of the series. i think it must be set in Yorkshire, considering the way the old farmer/caretaker sounds, but my knowledge of dialects is very limited as my previous attempt at cought-up humour indicates

yuusen
7th June 2004, 08:46 PM

i never realised there was a follow-up to that series. i guess, because of my age, i only got to see reruns and therefore only the popluar "are you being served?" serieseses.

i take it you enjoy british humour, lance?

¥

Lance
7th June 2004, 08:53 PM
very much. i have frequently been accused by other Americans of being ''english'', probably due to my habit of speaking precise and complex American english instead of doggerel slang. of course i've also been thought to be female and chinese, so other people's judgements must be a bit suspect.

i've never seen anything of British series but re-runs [except for the first time i saw them, so they're not re-runs for me at that point, but anyway you know what i mean]. some of those series are still seen locally here. Hyacinth Bucket is still around in all her wannabe glory. um... also The Last of the Wine, Are You Being Served, etc. there have been many of them... fawlty towers, good neighbors, and a ton of others extremely ancient or otherwise.

but we seem to have ever so slightly diverged from the original topic of this thread

yuusen
7th June 2004, 09:01 PM

thats rather funny.

ive also been thought to be female, usually by small children. (please, noone cheapen that, its really true)

i have also been thought to be : spanish, arabic, israeli, brazilian and australian. i look like none.

maybe its the cymric energy in us.
+
we have diverged havent we.
-
in response to pw's original topic request :

im all up for a remake of the original wipeout. i love seeing what can be done with old ideas and new technology. quite frankly, i find it hard not to feel ever so lsightly and occasionally jaded when playing ps1 titles after playing the ps2 and would love to have all my old titles updated with gameplay intact.

but thats in an ideal world where money isnt an object.
-
one solution would be to create an open source port of the original wipeout (with permission) that could play in an operating system environment like mac os x, or linux, or even win xp.

actually, screw porting the game. lets make our own!!! start from scratch. have an idea brainstorming session. find some programmers. do more research. become our own programmers. seed the game engine. find it doesnt work. use the quake 3 engine instead. taylor it to a racing perspective. spend hours swearing at our computers. cry. scream. bleed and finally, maybe just finally, have the wipeout that everyone can play and noone dislikes.

¥

Lance
7th June 2004, 09:18 PM
of all the difficulties that you list, as bad as they are, none of the others come even close to this one, '' maybe just finally, have the wipeout that everyone can play and noone dislikes''

yuusen
7th June 2004, 09:25 PM

i couldnt agree more. id like to think that making the project opensource would increase the oppertunity for people to have there say about what they wanna see in a titel. as well as make their own if they feel inclined.
-
on the subject of open source, i ressurected this thread:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16947#16947

¥

Rapier Racer
7th June 2004, 11:53 PM
You enjoy British humour eh Lance? Have you ever heard of Trigger Happy TV starring Dom Jolly? They did a US series as well

Lance
8th June 2004, 12:36 AM
haven't heard of that one in either British or U.S. version. describe it for me?
pretty much all the British television series i get to see are shown only on my local Public Broadcasting Service channel. once long ago, one of the local independent commercial stations showed the old Benny Hill show, which wasn't so old at that time, but other than that it's all non-commercial on PBS. btw, i don't have cable or satellite services, just broadcast

piranha wiper
8th June 2004, 03:45 PM
yuusen i like the way your mind works, yeah lets TRY and get some stuff together and make a game but with permission of course