PDA

View Full Version : Needs advice please

stin
6th July 2014, 09:41 AM
As you aware, my old PS3 is on ICU

Now, I am planning to buy 12gb PS3 shortly but, is it straight forward from fat to slim HDD with a mounting basket? Which I will buy Hard Disc Drive mounting basket today but will it work?

Thank you :)

stevie:)

possesed13
6th July 2014, 02:52 PM
99% it will work bud! i think you can get the hdd from the fat one and directly put it in the slim one.....

stin
6th July 2014, 05:18 PM
Cheers bud! *away to buy a mounting basket! :)

stevie:)

infoxicated
13th July 2014, 09:47 AM
You probably know this by now, but it won't retain any of the data - the new PS3 will insist on formatting it, as the data on the drive will be locked to the old PS3.

AFAIK the only way you can retain the data is by doing a system transfer, which not only takes a long time but is prone to failing. I know because I sat through three of them only to have them fail on the final step and just decided to re-download everything instead. :)

stin
13th July 2014, 09:19 PM
Cheers foxy, funnily enough I was kinda expected that but all I am interested is my pictures which I stored it. So....yeah, I will transfer that way.

stevie :)

Cipher
13th July 2014, 11:24 PM
I made a full backup of my PS3 (turns into a bunch of big sized data files) which i was able to restore just fine, messages, savedata, everything restored fine, it's the full harddrive backup thing if i recall correctly, the one that takes the most time lol

It is account dependant though, so if you have multiple accounts, you have to do them 1 by 1 ;)

Cipher