PDA

View Full Version : Playstation NOW - Game streaming service WAY Too expensive !

blackwiggle
23rd June 2014, 02:36 AM
I don't know what Sony are thinking.

Have you seen the intended pricing for NOW services?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-now-beta-prices-5-for-four-hours-of-final-fantasy-xiii-2/1100-6420646/

Nobody in their right mind is going to have anything to do with it if the pricing really does stay like that.
And that's for the USA, I shudder to think what sort of pricing they are intending for other parts of the world.

They might as well not even make the NOW platform active with that Kamikaze business model.

When you think that the PS4 and the new controller were basically designed to take advantage of this new interactive game streaming future, you would have to be thinking that most of it will never get used because , Overpricing = Lack of appeal = Nobody using it.

vincoof
23rd June 2014, 09:06 AM
Pricing is very subjective for new technologies. First, it may be better for them to overprice at start and reduce the price if they see too many complaints about it because they can’t do the opposite (start at a lower price and increase it if it’s popular).

Secondly, while I agree $5 for four hours is way much more that what I’d pay, looking at other prices are interesting. For instance you can finish most games in less than a month, and paying your game 15 bucks (for FFXIII-2) is more or less what it would cost you if you bought a new game and tried to resell it when you’ve finished it, except that you don’t have to worry about the mess of reselling it (going to the store, hoping you find a buyer, etc.).

I’m not saying it’s a good thing, I for one am very skeptical about this technology, about the social interaction you lose (when you go to the store you meet "real" people) but this already started with VODs few years ago (more than started actually) and it looks like people enjoy this. Ironically, this could be a good thing for rural places where you can’t have huge stores (thus lack of choice) but at the same time these places are the ones who are less likely to have a good Internet connection so the technology will behave worse than everywhere else…