PDA

View Full Version : An example jump

rejj
13th July 2003, 12:00 PM
Somebody mentioned not too long ago that hyperthrust jumping should be explained somewhere so that everyone is on a level playing field, and to make sure that people that don't know how to do it can understand why everyone else's times are much faster than theirs, even if they are doing perfect laps. So, I recorded an example of the Porto Kora jump (http://www.flapdoodle.org/rejj/shots/w3se/porto_kora_hyperjump.avi) for everyone to see. This is just an example however - you can do better on this jump - but this should be adequate to help people understand what we are talking about.

The file was recorded with divx5, so you will need that codec to play it.

infoxicated, feel free to copy this and put it on this site somewhere if you think it will be helpful.

Roger
13th July 2003, 04:28 PM
Whoa! :o
I've never managed to pull off a stunt like that. Thanks for the "educational foootage".

Have you got any idea how much time is gained by that jump, as opposed to a more moderate one, where you go "normally" through the tunnel?

AmishRobot
13th July 2003, 05:13 PM
That's a pretty cool clip (something I never thought to try), but I can't help but wonder at what point it crosses the line from exploiting the game's environment to cheating, in respect to times.

For example, is this similar to those wacky respawns in Fusion that put you on the other side of the track? That's a legitimate glitch in the game, but don't most people consider a time achieved that way to be invalid? OTOH, wall scraping is generally considered valid, I think maybe because of the risk and skill involved.

Certainly there's skill involved here, but I'm not so sure I consider it a legitimate exploit of the game world. Floating through the ceiling of a tunnel seems a bit too much to me.

I must have missed the previous discussions regarding this. I'll go do a search.

xEik
13th July 2003, 05:37 PM
I've just tried doing something similar in regular PAL WO3. Maybe I'm not skilled enough but I couldn't manage to do a jump that is even a quarter of that. I'm quite sure that this sequence has been recorded with WO3 SE. I don't think it is possible to do such a thing in regular PAL, since ships in SE are known to be much floatier.

As for if this is fair or not, my opinion is that if the ship shadow at noon (that is a shadow that falls completely vertical) doesn't leave the track surface, it is fair. But if the completely shadow goes outside the track and the wuss-wagon doesn't catch you (although it should), it's just taking advantage of a game glitch, and thus not fair.

But then, I'm just scrub (as stated in an article posted by rejj). :roll:

lunar
13th July 2003, 06:07 PM
How is it unfair, when its the same for everyone?

I didn`t like the "scrub" thing in the article, which was all pretty arrogant I thought. But the writer made a good point, somewhere, which can be applied to the difference between the fusion and SE glitches. The key word is "degenerate". The fusion respawns make the game "degenerate" in that they destroy what the game is about, require little skill, and make it unplayable in a real competitive way. Shortcuts in SE don`t do this. Blame the programmers for making it possible to go through a tunnel roof and not programming the wuss-bots well enough, , but you can`t blame players for taking advantage. It takes skill, as everyone agrees. As has been said before, who`s going to draw the line and where are we going to draw it? When you`re flying this fast its very intense, and at that time does anyone really know where their ship`s imaginary shadow is? If you`re thinking about that, you`re not racing.

I`ve never gone anywhere near so far on that jump (on SE). The entrance to the tunnel is my (occasional) best. Great skills I say. :) If we say we must be over the track at all times we`ll probably have to delete the entire top 10 on Porto Kora.

Shortcuts are a fact in SE, so I think its time to move on, and of course to open up any secret knowledge some players have, which is what this excellent video does. :D

rejj
13th July 2003, 07:05 PM
But then, I'm just scrub (as stated in an article posted by rejj). :roll:

I'm not a great fan of the "scrub" terminology used (I didn't write the article, just to clear that up incase anyone thought I did - It is by Dave Sirlin) as I believe that it has too many derogatory connotations. I still believe in overall argument made by the article, however. I would perhaps just word it differently - maybe "serious competitors" and "casual players" rather than "scrubs".. which would still get across the point that by imposing artificial limitations you aren't really competing or playing the same game.

Yes, this was recorded in W3SE, hence the post in this forum... :) It was on Phantom, with an Icaras.

AmishRobot, here is a thread in the W3 forum (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=871) where the topic of what is and is not cheating was recently discussed.

edit: something slightly amusing to notice in the vid (I just had another look at it and saw this) - the guy infront of me at the ramp starts laying mines just as he takes off, and I only barely miss the first one. I totally didn't notice this when I was playing.. but hitting that mine would have made the jump considerably shorter. 8)

xEik
13th July 2003, 08:34 PM
Yes, this was recorded in W3SE, hence the post in this forum... :)
:P My bad. Using the forum main page to see the newest posts usually makes me overlook in which subforum the topics have been posted. :-?

JABBERJAW
15th July 2003, 12:56 AM
I go through the tunnel and got a faster time than skipping the tunnel. I can't see the video, where did you land?

AmishRobot
15th July 2003, 02:32 AM
I go through the tunnel and got a faster time than skipping the tunnel.

That's because you're not human. I've become fully convinced of that. ;)

rejj
15th July 2003, 09:27 AM
where did you land?
On the straight inside the tunnel, after the corner. I think I landed right on the powerup chevron, before the right hand corner after the tunnel exit.

This wasn't intended as a demonstration of how to get the absolute fastest time possible on Porto Kora - rather just an example of the sort of jumps the game lets you do.

Task
15th July 2003, 04:10 PM
I go through the tunnel and got a faster time than skipping the tunnel.
That's because you're not human. I've become fully convinced of that. ;)

A friend of mine decided that those records weren't made by a human, but instead were made by a computer program named "AI Startwell", an Aritifical Intelligence (AI) program that was designed to always get the good start and race perfectly from that point onwards. And that the guy who posted on the forums was the programmer responsible for creating Startwell.
I've got a couple interesting friends, yes.

NiktheGreek
19th July 2003, 08:55 AM
Heh... I've been asked in a chat before if I was a real person... o_O

Vasudeva
26th July 2003, 10:57 AM
Like I once thought/said before, I think Al is an agent, like in the Matrix, preventing us from getting the best times and breaking the secret code of our world... ;).

V.

Spaceboy Gajo
28th July 2003, 05:59 AM
I kind of like my theory, that Al's from eg.r and was sent back in time. Kind of like Terminator. We all know Al's not human after all.

Human,

spaceboy gajo :)

JABBERJAW
28th July 2003, 10:30 PM
PUNY HUMANS! YOU ARE TERMINALATED :D

Lance
28th July 2003, 10:46 PM
:D :D :D

i knEW it!

zargz
29th July 2003, 10:48 AM
land in the tunnel - u'll bounce up'n down 4 a while
land on the downhill b4 the tunnel, make a smooth landing = no bouncing
thereof landing b4 the tunnel(on the downhil) is quicker!

voila! ~~(( (m^_^)m