PDA

View Full Version : SL WAS working on a new wipeout - How did we miss this?

blackwiggle
10th May 2014, 02:40 AM
Some pictures had been released by Sony back in Feb 2013 showing the work that being done by Studio Liverpool on a new Wipeout for the PS4 before they closed the studio down.
http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/new-images-show-wipeout-on-ps4-before-the-game-was-cancelled#slide=1

So there yet might be a little bit more truth to the report of a E3 2014 announcement for a new Wipeout

EDIT: You guys are going to love what I just found.

Wipeout Deceit for the PS4
http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/310050-New-WipEout-called-Deceit-leaked-possibly-a-PS4-title

TheConzio
10th May 2014, 03:15 AM
I've seen both of these last year. Deceit was a fan-made project by Maximilian Fraundorfer, and was never going to be released.

AGSys
10th May 2014, 03:39 AM
Unfortunately WipEout Deceit turned out to be just a few fancy renders made by a fan as a tribute to the series. It was talked about quite a lot on here. And if you see those early leaked photos (which have also been posted here), the WipEout game they seemed to be working on resembles the 2025 era of racing on the streets, as seen in the WO 2048 intro video.

blackwiggle
10th May 2014, 03:53 AM
Darn, I thought I'd seen those screen shots before.
"Deceit" gave me a uneasy feeling it wasn't true anyway.
That's wishful thinking for you.....where is a egg on face emocition when you need one , guess the redface will have to do.
:redface::redface:

Xpand
10th May 2014, 03:55 AM
The first link is actually the concept art for WO2048.

Jonny
10th May 2014, 08:18 AM
I think that SL worked on a new WipEout while working on 2048. But itwas defenately not Deceit

keg_11
12th May 2014, 03:15 AM
And if you see those early leaked photos (http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/new-images-show-wipeout-on-ps4-before-the-game-was-cancelled#slide=1) (which have also been posted here), the WipEout game they seemed to be working on resembles the 2025 era of racing on the streets, as seen in the WO 2048 intro video.

About that, if I remember correctly, those are concept images from 2048, presumably to simulate what would AG racing look like in a near-future NYC. I recall seeing images like this when 2048 was getting released. I didn't state this earlier because it was an article, I could take it or leave it.

AGSys
12th May 2014, 07:03 AM
Really? I must've missed something along the way then. I didn't know they were from the 2048 concepts. :/

terra-wrists
17th June 2014, 11:01 PM
So, was Sony working on a new wipeout before they canned SL? And if so, why are there no concept art pics for it available for us to drool over?

I really want to see a new wipeout - and I give it a solid 12 more months to happen before I bin my PS3 and kiss gaming goodbye for ever.

And that fellas, is a fact!

Jonny
18th June 2014, 08:25 AM
Thats coming from the most pessimistic guy in this topic

stinkleroy
18th June 2014, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure that SL was working on a PS4 WipEout. I remember reading a few articles after the closure and it stated that they had two games in development - WO PS4 and also a Splinter Cell type game. However these articles could have been based on rumour and speculation, who knows...don't think we'll ever find out or see any evidence. I really do think Sony have no intentions of making another, and even if they did it probably wouldn't be the game we all know and love. If only the suits could learn not to hinder creative processes we'd all be a lot happier.

@Terra - hope you don't give up dude, there may not be another Wipeout but you know there are other great games out there worth a shot, and a lot of great people to play them with too ;)

terra-wrists
18th June 2014, 12:04 PM
To be honest stinkleroy I don't have much time for gaming these days as it is. A new wipe out would draw me back but even then not to the level of commitment I gave hd fury. As it stands had fury is a shadow of its online self and I feel sad when I go online and see no one hosting. I think for me it really was all about wipe out and the way things are for the past year just feels alien and ghost town like online.... I can't really take it anymore.

I think I'm witnessing the slow death of wipe out ... someone should just turn the machine off and save us the grief. That's how I feel. Sorry for my pessimistic pov fellow pilots.

And thank you stinkleroy for your kind suggestions.

Xpand
18th June 2014, 01:27 PM
Wipeout was never a big cash game. It was kept alive only through the love of its fans. Most people I know that played Wipeout (especially since the free HD+Fury on PSN) complained about the learning curve and never touched the game again. It's a niche game and the gaming industry doesn't like niche games anymore because they don't give money. Ace Combat Infinity is an example of what might have happened to Wipeout in a desperate attempt to grab money to keep the series alive, becoming nothing more than a Free to Play shadow of the remnants of its former glory trying to please a public outside of its niche that doesn't exist or doesn't care. Real Wipeout players are a special bunch but really, a dying breed.

Also get ready to see less and less original games being released by big companies like Sony and Nintendo. The 21st century is like the 20th century but everyone is too afraid to do anything risky and untested. Originality will only come from people who have nothing to lose.

DIXI200
18th June 2014, 01:51 PM
Sad...but true :rock

terra-wrists
18th June 2014, 02:15 PM
Wipeout was never a big cash game. It was kept alive only through the love of its fans. Most people I know that played Wipeout (especially since the free HD+Fury on PSN) complained about the learning curve and never touched the game again. It's a niche game and the gaming industry doesn't like niche games anymore because they don't give money. Ace Combat Infinity is an example of what might have happened to Wipeout in a desperate attempt to grab money to keep the series alive, becoming nothing more than a Free to Play shadow of the remnants of its former glory trying to please a public outside of its niche that doesn't exist or doesn't care. Real Wipeout players are a special bunch but really, a dying breed.

Also get ready to see less and less original games being released by big companies like Sony and Nintendo. The 21st century is like the 20th century but everyone is too afraid to do anything risky and untested. Originality will only come from people who have nothing to lose.

Man this is so true... well said bud

@Stinkleroy,

I was thinking about the whole, throwing away the PS3 thing, and I dont think its a good idea lol... it has a bluray player, and I love my attenborough lol. I think there will still be the occasional time in years to come, that I'll fire up the old ships and go for a spin, just because its raining outside and life seems a little meh. In fact, I think I'm beginning to see wipeout less competitively for the future already... lol. I must be getting old.

Snakenator1
18th June 2014, 02:33 PM
Real Wipeout players are a special bunch but really, a dying breed.

So true :(
But I will always be proud to say "I am a WipEout pilot and always will be"
We may be a dying breed of gamer, but you can never remove the WipEout from a WipEout pilot.
I will race my Feisar even when my hands bleed, once I am dedicated I will never leave.

We are all WipEout pilots here, as long as the community lives then we don't need a new WipEout game to carry on the legacy of Psygnosis/ SL.

possesed13
18th June 2014, 02:38 PM
Xpand you are so damn right!
i hope time brings WO in a line of being a game of attraction!
as you said not a great hit but intresting enough so that we all see a new title!
everyone i showed HD they all said nice but very hard! and its true when nowdays you are buying a game and in a week or so you are getting good at it!
Wish the servers stay online for a long time more.... :)

Snakenator1
18th June 2014, 03:11 PM
Sadly the future looks bleak, we're facing a harsh reality at the moment of a dying fandom.
But the spirit of WipEout will live on in its dedicated fanbase like us here on the forum, we will keep the series alive no matter what ;)

Sorry if I sound like a pessimist :| but I am a person who view things realistically as well as optimistically

TheConzio
19th June 2014, 04:17 AM
I haven't been on this forum for very long (only 2 years), but I have seen the massive drop of attention to the series and the dramatic fall after a couple of months when HD Fury was released for free in 2011. It's sad, but it's reality.

possesed13
19th June 2014, 07:57 AM
well its also true that i see new faces online all the time...
fortunately there are not many games like WO... i think extremely few.
there will be always space for a game like WO
Unfortunately i dont see them again ...
:D

Oryx Crake
19th June 2014, 11:21 AM
While you are right mostly xpand, I would like to offer a slightly different take on what you said.

A lot of today's markets are about profiling. Companies aim to make names for themselves with style, reliability, what have you. the thing about that is that in order to do so you have to have a thoroughbred in your stables to use a metaphor. A lot of companies make tons of stuff that is sort of middle market, mostly bland, cheap to make, easy to sell. But they usually also have a luxury line. take the example of car companies for example. Audi makes a huge range of different cars, most of them upper middle market stuff. but they also make their sports car the... R8 I believe. Now Audi you can be almost certain are not making much money on the R8, they might even be making a slight loss on it, but what it does do is make their other cars seem more interesting by association. Therefore the audi brand as a whole becomes more desirable, and what might be a small loss on the specific r8 line of cars might turn into a net gain through people who can't afford the r8 buying something that is not as flashy or quick but is still an audi and by association "almost as cool".

I would say that at this moment in video game history there isn't much of that thinking going around, probably what sony and microsoft are doing is trying to use the burgeoning indie market to get customers to buy their ****, through making indie stuff available on their consoles. But I wouldn't count titles like wipeout out just yet, they are to game companies what super cars are to car manufacturers, for a select group of people, well made and finely crafted, full of style and genuine heart, but expensive to make and hard to sell. what they do in essence is show people that, "yes we love games too, so much so that this is what we want to play and so we made it!" even if it is a huge and stinking lie from the point of view of the executives most likely.

thats one cynical reason why there might yet be some hope.

DIXI200
19th June 2014, 11:39 AM
I'd be happy if they remained long the servers ... I think the new game in a dream.

Cipher
19th June 2014, 05:01 PM
How has nobody brought up GamesCom yet? o_O
Hold your horses on saying nay till after that, wipeout's always been more of a european thing (no offence to any non-EU ppl) ;)
We'll see :p

Cipher

Jonny
19th June 2014, 10:04 PM
But traditionally WipEouts were anounced on the E3

Trilby
20th June 2014, 06:09 AM
How has nobody brought up GamesCom yet? o_O
Hold your horses on saying nay till after that, wipeout's always been more of a european thing (no offence to any non-EU ppl) ;)
We'll see :p

Cipher
Hello, first time poster!

I am a stupid American who was first introduced to WipEout when my dad bought Wipeout 3 from a used game store when I was barely alive. I was immediately enamored by the minimalistic design, the awesome setting, the quirky handling, and really, all about it. This game changed my life by being my intro into the world of gaming, and defining some of my musical tastes early (even though my father made the intelligent choice of exposing me to the likes of the Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, and Prodigy early.) Ever since then, I've played the other WipEout games, but had faded out of my mind in early puberty when Hellfire_WZ reintroduced me to the series with his videos, which I notice while shopping for a PlayStation 2 again, after my old one died many years ago. Now that I've been properly reintroduced to the series and now playing it more than ever (what with emulators and the like) I've been trying to get more of my friends into WipEout, and keeping their asses firmly planted into the pilot's seat. You can not give North America Pulse for the PS2, you can tool with the handling system all you like, you can curb stomp Studio Liverpool, but you will not make me let WipEout's fandom die.

P.S.: Yeah, that's ADHD for you.

stin
20th June 2014, 01:05 PM
Terra wrote :- "I really want to see a new wipeout - and I give it a solid 12 more months to happen before I bin my PS3 and kiss gaming goodbye for ever.

And that fellas, is a fact!"

Terra!, behave yerself!, I will buy another PS3! ;)

stevie :)

terra-wrists
20th June 2014, 02:07 PM
I got told :eek

aye aye captain, I will refrain from throwing it away... it has a bluray player - its saving grace :D

Jonny
20th June 2014, 03:56 PM
If anybody wants to throw away a console, he can have my adress ;)

TheConzio
21st June 2014, 12:35 PM
Hello, first time poster!

Hello Trilby, good to see a new enthusiastic pilot at the forums :)

Snakenator1
21st June 2014, 12:47 PM
Are there any pilots going to play expo?
Its a UK thing that takes place in event city just outside the Trafford centre. I'm hopefully going and like to see fellow pilots there :)

And hello Trilby

BrunoDG
23rd June 2014, 06:58 AM
Hey Trilby, sup? :)

So, unfortunately, it's true. From what I've seen on the E3 expo this year, Sony's main focus will be on the indie companies and on their franchises. I mean, the old franchises that give money to them. Since (unfortunately) WipEout, as Xpand said, is a niche franchise, I'd find it really hard for sony actually feel some kind of will to make a new game, since they won't have a good return...

Though, I still hope for a new WO game to play on my PS4, indeed. C'mon, I still want to participate in a WOZ championship someday xDDDD

Snakenator1
23rd June 2014, 10:57 AM
Did you miss the AVALON racing league in March? It was pure fun :)
I think there may be another one soon, but that's for a different time.

Trilby
23rd June 2014, 03:27 PM
Did you miss the AVALON racing league in March? It was pure fun :)

Because of this, I really want a PS3 of my own. My only experience with Wipeout HD is because I got the game as a birthday present for my friend who lives two blocks from me. Because of this, I still haven't got a handle on the handling of the craft.

But it doesn't mean I don't kick his ass :-)[/spoiler]

Snakenator1
23rd June 2014, 03:37 PM
Don't worry Trilby, there will be another AVALON sometime.
Here's something you could do for next AVALON:
1. When the next AVALON begins, go to your friends and get online
2. Join the lobby and send me a message to confirm its you
3. I'll invite you to a chat so we can talk
4. HAVE A BLOODY AWESOME TIME!! ;)

dreadofmondays
24th June 2014, 05:39 PM
I really want to see a new wipeout - and I give it a solid 12 more months to happen before I bin my PS3 and kiss gaming goodbye for ever.

idiotic

BrunoDG
24th June 2014, 05:50 PM

The problem is: I don't have a PS3 system, that's why I couldn't participate.
If Sony finally made the PS3 games compatible with the PS4 system, I can play WOHD on the next AVALON with you guys.
Of course I'm gonna lose, but that doesn't mean I won't have fun! xD

UnleashSonic
2nd July 2014, 02:54 PM
I'm almost exactly the same as Trilby, born only a few years before Wip3out, bought WipEout Pure as my first PSP game knowing nothing about it and becoming absolutely addicted. A couple years later, I stumbled upon WipEout Pulse. Years later, I bought a PS3 in 2010; and discovered WipEout HD/Fury and was blown away once again. Since then, I've been obsessed to the point of sleeplessness with this series, my favorite series in the whole world. Looking up the history of the games, the in-game backstory, trawling on eBay for anything vaguely reminiscent of the good old days that I wish I could have been a part of... Ah well, I bought a Vita only for 2048 and wasn't disappointed but it's remained my WipEout device with Pure and Pulse on it for a good couple of years now. I've also been convincing at least a few of my friends of the awesomeness of the series and they're getting really into it, which is fantastic. Ushering in a new era of WipEout pilots! Anyway, I would instantly buy a PS4 upon hearing the news of a PS4 WipEout being announced, no question.

Trilby, we should catch up :) nice to meet you, fellow young WipEout'er!

yawnstretch
13th July 2014, 08:18 PM
I'm still getting a lot of joy from 2048 on the vita.

Wipeout will return. It always does. And I'll be waiting (even if it takes until the year 2097 ;)).

Cipher
13th July 2014, 11:14 PM
^I like you already :)

Same here ^^

Cipher

terra-wrists
14th July 2014, 05:14 AM
i'm still wondering why "psygnosis" was trademarked by Sony in 2013.

"Publication of on-line journals, namely, blogs featuring user-defined content; electronic publishing services, namely, publication of digital media in the form of electronic magazines via global computer and communications networks; entertainment services, namely, providing temporary use of non-downloadable interactive multiplayer and single player games played via global computer and communication networks.

^part of the TM covers this...

...is there hope?

possesed13
14th July 2014, 01:12 PM
there is always hope my friend!!!
wipeout was always on the edge of technology as game, perhaps the new wipeout
will give us something totally new when it resurface!
something bigger than just a game...
i like having a positive thinking... why da hell not! :D

Trilby
20th July 2014, 03:29 AM
Don't worry Trilby, there will be another AVALON sometime.
Sounds like a plan to me, if he's free... which is never. :frown:

I'm almost exactly the same as Trilby, born only a few years before Wip3out, bought WipEout Pure as my first PSP game knowing nothing about it and becoming absolutely addicted. A couple years later, I stumbled upon WipEout Pulse. Years later, I bought a PS3 in 2010; and discovered WipEout HD/Fury and was blown away once again. Since then, I've been obsessed to the point of sleeplessness with this series, my favorite series in the whole world. Looking up the history of the games, the in-game backstory, trawling on eBay for anything vaguely reminiscent of the good old days that I wish I could have been a part of... Ah well, I bought a Vita only for 2048 and wasn't disappointed but it's remained my WipEout device with Pure and Pulse on it for a good couple of years now. I've also been convincing at least a few of my friends of the awesomeness of the series and they're getting really into it, which is fantastic. Ushering in a new era of WipEout pilots! Anyway, I would instantly buy a PS4 upon hearing the news of a PS4 WipEout being announced, no question.

Trilby, we should catch up nice to meet you, fellow young WipEout'er!

Sorry, I was a jackass and forgot about the forum :-P Yeah, I'm not about to support Sony in the slightest. Why did they have to shut down Studio Liverpool? What was so important? There's nothing I want from Sony right now. There's no-one I feel like supporting this generation. Nintendo got too gimmicky for my tastes, Microsoft has proven they can't be trusted (and know nothing about gaming) And Sony... Sony. You know, I'm planning on becoming a game designer. Make gaming better. If and when that happens, I'm marching over to Sony's offices, getting hired, AND BRINGING WIPEOUT BACK!

P.S: I don't think there's anyone here who's actually youngER than me. Show of hands, who else was born AFTER Wip3out?