PDA

View Full Version : Pir-Hana Prototype Survival Guide

Amaroq Dricaldari
4th February 2014, 01:03 AM
The Pir-Hana Prototype does not have a very good reputation, and can be very irritating to use. However, I have played around with it, and have worked out a guide that can help out any of you who intend to fly it, because its speed can be worth it once you've tamed the craft. In fact, if this guide has the effect co am hoping for, you will be able to master it in no time! (I wonder if this is how Heero felt when he mastered Wing Zero...)

Let's start with the basics, an overview of the ship:

In order to gain extra speed, the chassis of this prototype has been thinned out to such an extreme that the pilot can barely breathe inside the cockpit. It is so thin, in fact, that there isn't enough room for the standard steering rack, or acceleration module, requiring the pilot to rely solely on their airbrakes to steer and auto-accelerate. Any test pilots would be crazy to get anywhere near this thing.

Now let's take an educated guess at the ship's stats.*
Speed: 12+/10 | It feels like at least twelve out of ten, but the actual top speed is unknown.

Handling: 1/10 | It steers like crap, but is not unsteerable.**

Shield: ? | All I know regarding this ship's health is that it doesn't completely fall apart from one plasma.

Firepower: ? | Ditto with the firepower. It seems capable of eliminating other ships with a few well placed shots, but that is about all I can tell.

-----
*I do not pretend to know the stats, all of this is just guessing based on my experience with the craft. The actual stats may differ. And please don't quote me on any of this...
**The Pir-Hana Prototype is capable of steering without the airbrakes, just not very well. I managed to slow it to a crawl by smacking it face-first into a wall, and then I fiddled around with the D-Pad... and it did in fact turn. Albeit very slowly.

HOW TO UNLOCK
The Pir-Hana Prototype can be unlocked by reaching Rank 50 and then passing the Prototype Challenge that pops up in the Singleplayer campaign. The challenge is two-lap A-class Time Trial on Sol.

-----

Now let's get to the actual survival guide...

SWITCH TO RACER CONTROLS
Switching to the Racer Control Scheme is a very good idea with this ship. If you press Square regularly, you can actually steer the ship very naturally, and your chances of oversteering are practically non-existent so you will rarely have to side-shift in the direction opposite to the one you're steering in.

USE THE THUMBSTICK
Many of you are used to using the D-Pad, and I don't blame you if you think it is better for WipEout, and in most cases it is. The D-Pad is comfortable, reliable, responsive, etc. But for whatever reason, the Pir-Hana Prototype seems to steer more easily. with the thumbstick than the D-Pad. I am not sure why, but apparently it works that way.

EMBRACE PILOT-ASSIST
Pilot assist has a very bad reputation, and because of that I would not recommmend using Pilot-Assist under any other circumstances, especially if you're a new player. In the case of the Pir-Hana Prototype however, it can be your salvation, as it seems to ignore the handling-stat of whatever ship you're using, and the Pir-Hana Prototype is so fast (and accelerates quickly enough) that the speed loss is superficial at best. However, I would not recommend purposefully ramming into walls at bad angles or seeking the narrower skillcuts, Extreme Pilot Assist does not like that.

Once you have had enough practice with the Pir-Hana Prototype, I would recommend switching Pilot-Assist from Extreme back to Normal. I tested this out, and while it doesn't allow me to be anywhere near as AFK as I used to with Pilot-Assist set to Extreme, I was able to go through narrow skillcuts much more easily as I was less likely to get caught on a wall and flipped the other way.
Also, do not forget what I said earlier about feathering the airbrake, this is especially important with the reduced Pilot Assist.

GO FOR THE GREENS
Seek out Defensive weapon pads whenever possible, because they can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Auto-Pilots (which seem to ignore a craft's handling stat) and well-placed Turbos (handy for reaching skillcuts) are practically godsends when flying this beast.

-----

PERFECT PIR-HANA
And finally, let's take a look at the infamous Perfect Pir-Hana Trophy. Here is the only time you should disable Pilot Assist when flying this thing. When attempting to go for this trophy, set pilot assist to Normal or Off, and hold down Square as hard as you can (assuming you are using the Racer control scheme.) This will slow you down quite a bit and greatly improve your steering capabilities. It is also highly recommended that you pitch your nose down, as this will signficantly reduce the height you gain from unwanted jumps. Now why did I suggest turning Pilot-Assist off? Because it can ruin your racing lines and send you flying into a wall, something that would normally be okay when you aren't trying to get a perfect lap, but since Perfect Pir-Hana requires a perfect lap on A Class, you need to turn it off to maximize your chances of getting the trophy.

AFK-MULTIPLAYER
The multiplayer in 2048 is a very tedious thing. However, there is an easy strategy to completin ghte entire multiplayer campaign without even playing the game. Just take your faithful Pir-Hana, as according to the above tips in the guide, and hold down the R button on your Vita with a rubber band (to keep it from going into Sleep Mode). Now just sit back and relax. Read a book, watch Gundam Wing, listen to some tunes, work on homework, whatever... as the multiplayer campaign steadily beats itself.

I would also recommend plugging your Vita into a charger to keep it from dying on you :P

-----

I hope you all enjoyed my guide. Please give me your feedback below, and feel more than welcome to add me on PSN or Skype.
P.S.: I completed three entire multiplayer levels as I was writing this guide.

Amaroq Dricaldari
7th February 2014, 03:05 AM
Sorry for the double-post... but not a single person has any feedback to provide? Not even any votes for the poll?

multibodydynamics
7th February 2014, 08:26 AM
Forum activity has dropped drastically recently. If you would have posted this a year earlier you would have gotten many replies because back then Wipeout 2048 was talked about on a daily basis on this forum. About your post. For me, the AG-SYS Speed is the best ship in the game. Its top speed combined with perfect handling makes it extremely powerful. This also shows if you check the world records on speedlaps in A+. Ships aren't really balanced in WO2048. Some are great, always. Some are crap, always.
This rubber band thing you're talking about... Where's the skill in that?

Jonny
7th February 2014, 09:08 AM
Intresting guide, but I don´t like the AFK-Multiplayer thing. I prefer to learn and do things the normal way :)

Amaroq Dricaldari
7th February 2014, 09:30 AM
This rubber band thing you're talking about... Where's the skill in that?
The rubber band is to keep the vita from going into sleepmode while you're AFK.

Intresting guide, but I don´t like the AFK-Multiplayer thing. I prefer to learn and do things the normal way :)
About the AFK multiplayer, it is so that you can progress through the campaign while you are busy or otherwise not-actually-playing. This could be for any number of reasons; Studying, going on a date, doing housework, sleeping, watching a movie with your friends, reading a book, walking your dog, patroling the perimeter at night (to keep burglars out), playing another game, writing on forums and so on.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it! *hugs*

Cipher
7th February 2014, 09:40 AM
Totally not a fan of pilot assist here, let alone promoting/exploiting it…, it's there to help new people get used to the game and get a feel for the racing style so they can LEARN and IMPROVE their racing, there's really no point in playing a game if you're not going to play it… using methods that, in my opinion, are cheating your way through the game is not something i would be proud of, the online campaign is there to PLAY it and to have fun doing so, not to just drop your vita somewhere with a rubber band and go hur dur, game complete, it's like a button in an RPG that takes you from the start of the game, straight to the ending credits, in other words POINTLESS…

That's my personal opinion though… the guide itself is good i guess, the theme/subject… not for me…

Cipher

multibodydynamics
7th February 2014, 11:26 AM
About the AFK multiplayer, it is so that you can progress through the campaign while you are busy or otherwise not-actually-playing.

If you are "not-actually-playing" you shouldn't be able to progress. It's as simple as that. If you progress without playing, well that is by definition cheating, nothing else. You are making use of an exploit in the game and you are taking RANK and XP that you have not earned. That is not the way to do it! I think that you realize that if you think about it for a while. And don't you dare trying to blame this on the game. Yes, the multiplayer campaign can reset itself. Well, make regular backups then! It is common sense...

vincoof
7th February 2014, 12:16 PM
While I have to admit there’s quite some work in this guide, I hope you understand we can’t possibly read someone recommending to go AFK in multiplayer, even if it’s situational. Communities like wipeoutzone exist mainly because we respect each other as wipers or as players in general, and going AFK in a multiplayer mode is one of the most disrespectful things you could do today in an online game. Players who entered the multiplayer lobby came here to race against real players otherwise they would simply race in the single-player campaign. The fact that you can’t be reported for being AFK (unlike many online games which have a “report” system) doesn’t mean you or anyone should try to do it.

Knux_Chaotix
7th February 2014, 12:25 PM
Dont get me wrong, some of this is good advice etc, but I dont see the purpose in AFK-ing the multiplayer, kinda kills the experience no?? You're not actually gaining any REAL game play experience, its not being earned fairly, kinda cheaty no??? Yeah, 2048 seems prone to just resetting its progress, but like multibodydynamics said, make a backup. Could very well be Karma giving you a subtle hint.

Amaroq Dricaldari
7th February 2014, 06:34 PM
I do not condone being completely AFK, in fact I only do it when I can't be playing the game but still need to progress. I'll be sure to update the guide, but Unreal Tournament is taking my attention away (which explains why I added "other games" to the list of reasons)

Jonny
8th February 2014, 12:43 AM
Well, let's archieve this AFK thing in a book and lit it on :P
The knowledge exist, but the number of people having it must been kept low :D

xtriko
9th February 2014, 09:02 AM
Amaroq, i warned You about the hardcore players opinions about cheating. Its Nice to have to have info about ship stats. But a "know how to cheat"... On an hardcore fan fórum...? Naaaaa.... :)

Ryuk
10th March 2014, 09:37 PM
Pir-hana handles extremely well in Zone Mode somehow.
If anyone wants to practice it he should get there and could get a nice Zone record with a little patience