PDA

View Full Version : World Map of All the tracks from the WipEout Series

Synergy2048
3rd February 2014, 01:15 AM
(Updated: 4-1-14): Thanks to User Light Buster for pointing out the missing track location "De Konstruct" I've removed and reuploaded the same map now with the missing track, including a closeup. Now I just need to know how to delete the old images on my home clipboard, thought it would delete itself if not used.

Well except for the tracks from WipEout 64, Devilia from WipEout Fusion, and the prototype/zone tracks from WO3 & Pure (as they're visual renditions of older WO tracks, unknown location, and of course, virtual tracks). Taking world map and WipEout images from the internet using photoshop, what I created is a complete world map of pinpoint locations as to where all the tracks from the WipEout series are located. While I did some research from WipEout Central and the games themselves, I did my best to accurately pin the spots where I think the tracks are located. each color represents the different AG-Leagues, from the A.G.R.C. to the FX400.

Makana is a made up shaped Island I made, (not really an official outline of the island) as for the Mega City from Wip3out, reading, well from another old post from here (now that I remember) as to where the city may be located, taking advantage of the theory that the tracks were inspired locations around the UK, pinpointing the tracks in that country (yet they're not comfirmed locations), including Nova State City in New York City (accurate spots in NYC)

As I'm using an image that is 4MB, it has been shrunk down, but I have post closeups also.

Take a good look, tell me what you think.

DDD113
3rd February 2014, 02:31 AM
I love it Synergy, I really do! Fantastic work there, it's so interesting to see a visualization of the location of all the tracks. Superb work, keep it up! :D

Rossriders
3rd February 2014, 02:44 AM
I'm rather impressed at what you've done to say the least. While I have done a bit of my own homework in regards to track locations, it is something to see how I had similar ideas in regards to where certain track are...granted the nova state city = New york city thing is a bit more obvious, not just because it's been outright stated that Nova State is a clear inspriation for NY but it screams so in game in a few places.

That and having been to the big apple several times, I was more than familiar with some sports clearly modeled after.

That being said, one major mystery to me has been where in the heck Mega city was actually located. I started to do my own bit of research, first going off on things such as what trains are used and maybe go for there, but if this is to be accurate, it's pretty damn impressive.

You've clearly put a lot of work into this, and well, reminds me of one among many reasons why I find the wipeout world so interesting. There are times I wish there were spinoff games taking place in the world where you can explore it but alas... a pipe dream.

Rambling aside...I'll try to say more when I'm not overly exhausted. Again, impressive work here.

Leonard
3rd February 2014, 06:40 PM
You forgot Devilia.

Jonny
3rd February 2014, 09:14 PM
Great work, but I don't think that Mega Cty is in the UK. I read that Talon's Junction was the ony ttack ever build in Great Britain...
And a little mistake is that you wrote that the AGRC was from 2048-2051. Actually it was until 2050. Sorry to be annyoing, but I'm slghtely pedantic :P
@Leonard: Devillia was on a fictional planet called Novon.

Synergy2048
3rd February 2014, 11:19 PM
Well I know Mega City is a made up location, yet from what I heard, the tracks from the third game were inspired locations in the UK, so I just marked the places as to where the tracks were influenced from.

WipEout 2048 altered the timeline for the league to start on the year 2048.

and of course, Devilia is located in an uncomfirmed location on planet Novon, (not really counting it though like the zone tracks, and WipEout 64)

Jonny
4th February 2014, 09:01 PM
Marking the zone tracks is....thy actually don't exist;)

keg_11
4th February 2014, 09:23 PM
Hey Synergy, can u post a link to those articles about the influences behind Wipeout 3's track? I'll be very interested to read them :)

Synergy2048
7th February 2014, 12:05 AM
Now I remember where I read about WO3 tracks being influenced from areas in the UK. While I did this map back in late 2012, and didn't have an account here on WipEoutzone just yet. Where I got this from was actually from another post here on the Wip3out 3 forum. It's an old thread by user Mobius posted in 2005, while it's not a confirmed fact, it is a possible fact, that I just took the advantage of pointing those spots around the UK.

so here's the link to that post on this site.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?1784-Where-in-the-world-is-mega-city

AGSys
9th February 2014, 09:16 AM
Damn that's amazing! O_o Must've taken you days.

Synergy2048
10th February 2014, 12:31 AM
Reply to: AGSys

Well not really, this only took me a few hours to do using just the shading/glowing effects in my photoshop that I was using. (it's a dated photoshop though) and images found on the internet like the world itself and other WipEout images. The rest is searching for the locations.

vincoof
10th February 2014, 09:24 AM
I don’t think he was talking about the time photoshopping it, but rather about the time gathering all the info to put these places accurately (or at least as accurately as you could).

I think I’ve already told you this in another thread, but I’m truly impressed by the work done here. I’m currently working on a project of mine (which has nothing to do with WO at first glance) and if I can get it done (I said "if") I’d like to include this image to show the map on a 3D virtual globe. But first I need your permission. So, may I?

Synergy2048
20th February 2014, 05:49 AM
Well these images are kind of small to use. If you need a larger image though, then I'm not sure if you can. As long as you give credit, then you may use it, unless its for reference and you're making your own map, Go ahead anyway, thats if you're satisfied of the locations

I recommened making you're own, It wasn't that hard or time consuming when I did it, and there all just images found and used from the internet. There's a plain world map like this you can find and its huge. the Background was made by Mr-Darkling from Deviant art, but for this I removed the FX350 logo.

If you need a flat map of the world, then I don't think this image will be good to use on a 3d globe since this one is curved, and it won't look right.

vincoof
20th February 2014, 04:24 PM
I already have (lots of) flat maps of our lovely planet, don’t worry about that :)
My current concern is to be able to locate the tracks with a bit of precision. But since I think you guessed most of the places, I might simply guess as well.

With that said, I’m definitely not sure I can find the time to do it. But if I succeed I’ll be glad to share it with you guys.

Synergy2048
21st February 2014, 12:00 AM
You can share it here if you want, thats what this thread is now for.

ChickenN00dleS0up
30th March 2014, 09:54 AM
This map is really great, but could you upload a version with a higher resolution, so I can have this printed on a poster?

Synergy2048
30th March 2014, 09:31 PM
I tried doing that, but it automatically shrinks it down when I upload it on here, it doen't allow really large images to be posted.

vincoof
31st March 2014, 08:28 AM
You could post the picture on a website like flickr.com or imageshack.us and then put a link here. That’s not against the forum rules.

Light Buster
1st April 2014, 06:58 PM
I'm not seeing de Konstruct, unless I'm blind.

Synergy2048
2nd April 2014, 12:18 AM
I'm not seeing de Konstruct, unless I'm blind.

What the heck.. :? You're right, I thought I accidently hid it in the photoshop file, but it turns out I forgot to add it in. De Konstruct is located somewhere in Switzerland, at least thats what the game quotes and in WipEout Central.

Looks like I'm replacing this map then.

Whats the biggest city in Switzerland?

Nevermind, it's located in Geneva

blackwiggle
2nd April 2014, 06:37 AM
For verification.
You could PM Infoxicated, the person who started the Wipeoutzone [he passed it on to Hellfire a year or so ago ] as Infoxicated used to work at Studio Liverpool writing the back stories for some of the WO games.

Another zone member you could PM would be Colin Berry, he was lead designer of WO's Pulse, HD & Fury, but had worked at Studio Liverpool for a long time before that starting in QA.[I see he hasn't visited the WOZ since Sept 2013..... I don't know if he has "send email notification if PM received" switch on in his preferences ]
He left Studio Liverpool just after Fury was released if I remember correctly.

keg_11
2nd April 2014, 08:29 AM
Whats the biggest city in Switzerland?

Nevermind, it's located in Geneva

It's definitely Geneva.

Rising out of the ashes of Geneva, the expansion of De Konstruct is ceaseless...

ThoughtfulSystem_95
14th May 2014, 09:48 PM
This map looks great! I especially like how you located Nova State City, Mega City, and Makana! :+

When I first played WipEout 3, I didn't know where Mega City was, let alone what city the F7200 took place.

Synergy2048
14th May 2014, 11:45 PM
Well just to let you know, Mega City isn't comfirmed to be in the UK. However a theory that the track enviroments were inspired by areas in that country. And Nova State obviously confirms to be in New York City or stylized as New York City

As for everyone else, I may also upload another map this time showing the occupied countries of every team. If you seen one of my videos on Youtube, you will see that map in one of them. I won't say when, but at some point I will put that map on here.