PDA

View Full Version : Does Wipeout 3 use the same engine as 2097?

polybius81
26th January 2014, 07:55 AM
It's Just that i heard similar sound effects in the game. The Land Mines have the same physics and the ''FLUM FLUM FLUM'' Sound effect and appear the same. And the physics are similar. The only thing that is updated is the Graphics and frame-rate. Isn't it amazing? How a game released in 1996 was technically the same game as 1999?

Jonny
26th January 2014, 05:05 PM
Nope the engine is not the same.
For example the hit boxes are larger and collisions were even more different and the hypertrust.
And same sounds is no indicator for same engine, Fusion for example used a sound from 2097 if you failed to start (This "WUMM WUMM WUMM" thing).

polybius81
26th January 2014, 05:30 PM
The mines look the same though even though they are greyish than the reddish mines in 2097.

DDD113
27th January 2014, 01:07 AM
Many things look the same throughout all the WipEouts, but they are also all very different with unique character.

vincoof
27th January 2014, 07:46 AM
I’d like to point out that there is no such thing as an "engine" that could be used from one game to another, and then you put tracks and ships and game modes and voilÃ*. Maybe unified engines (like… um… Unity) could provide that sort of things, but even in this case people could argue that when you add scripts your game engine becomes a little bit more unique than the game next to you. Anyway that’s probably not something that Psygnosis used back in 1999 when Wip3out was released. Every year the developers learned more and more how to use the Playstation wisely, so it would be as lazy as dumb not to improve their engine in 3-years time.

JABBERJAW
27th January 2014, 12:46 PM
I was under the impression that they modified the 2097/XL engine quite a bit, which is why it still feels similar. I think they did the same for wo1 to XL

Jonny
27th January 2014, 02:34 PM
Yes, the original and 2097 have definitely the same engine, no doubt.