PDA

View Full Version : Are you frustrated getting the Beat Zico trophy?

KronicReaper
11th January 2014, 01:15 AM
I think the hardest trophy to get on Wipeout HD Fury or Wipeout 2048 is the Beat Zico trophy and its a huge pain and cause frustration to any person getting this trophy. To me I try to get the trophy by doing 4 BR's, but I get frustrated and I give up. Do you people get frustrated getting the trophy and give up or get a cool head and go for it?

Zzonkmiles
11th January 2014, 01:49 AM
Hey Kronic.

Don't feel so bad. Beat Zico is the only trophy standing between me and Platinum too. I suck at time trials/speed laps and squeezing out barrel rolls, so I don't think I'll be getting this trophy anytime soon. My best time so far is an unimpressive 32.18.

yeldar2097
11th January 2014, 01:55 AM
Here's my easy technique with 3BRs. IMHO the easiest way if you don't like the overpass BR.
I tried to make it as simple as possible, minimal sideshift or BR, and still with 0.5s to play with. If you SS a few extra times than in the video you will get it no problem, even with worse lines :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKoiR-W-DU&feature=share

Zzonkmiles
11th January 2014, 02:11 AM
Marry me, Yeldar.

Personally, I think the hardest BR is the one you execute when you're heading downward towards the narrow part of the track after the three speed pads. I think it's the second BR. I can't seem to find the right place to gain airtime!

DDD113
11th January 2014, 02:35 AM
It's really all about practice. My times were in the 32 second range when I decided to watch a bunch of videos and then dedicate an afternoon to practice. I then achieved the trophy that evening. 2048 Zico is not as hard though. ;)

Unfortunately the only thing standing between me and Platinum is AG Assassin... simply because I hate online eliminator. I might try to organize a group to race without using shields to try to get this trophy (I have 44 online kills).

Mike458
11th January 2014, 03:25 AM
30.821! FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyway, I hate this trophy so much! To be honest, the BR onto the overpass is the hardest part of this trophy, and as well as sideshifting at the right points.

@DDD: I could race with you sometime in Eliminator and you can kill me a bunch of times to get the trophy... (Enough offtopic, back to Zico!)

DDD113
11th January 2014, 04:35 AM
It definitely wasn't my favorite trophy, and you're right about the BR onto the bridge being the toughest. That's the one I always screwed up!! :D About Elim, while I thank you for your generosity Mike, I want to earn this trophy the right way, in a competitive eliminator match to feel complete. :D

stin
11th January 2014, 07:21 AM
To beat Zico is a toughtie, took me nearly 2000 laps to beat it! but in Vita, took me about 5 laps, go figure.

Mind you, as in Zico did used two BRs for his time. ;)

stevie:)

Edit just realized, I only done 5 laps not 100!

Ragsus Maxima
11th January 2014, 02:45 PM
You'll get the trophy eventually, you'll see. You just need to invest another afternoon and keep your head cool (I know this is a hard task, but try it! :D).

Mietepiet
11th January 2014, 02:52 PM
that's it keep your head cool, do a max of 100 laps a day.
get your lines right, then the br's become more easy.

note: lines are more important than br's

yeldar2097
11th January 2014, 03:17 PM
Marry me, Yeldar.

I can't seem to find the right place to gain airtime!

Well, if you find you're not getting enough airtime there, just aim to land a little further down the track after the first BR. That is to say, when you boost out of the dip in the track, nose up a little more.
The extra speed from the BR upon landing should easily carry you over the hill with enough speed/airtime.

I might do a new video this one isn't very high quality. In fact, I will. Why not. It's the weekend :D

Mietepiet
12th January 2014, 05:54 AM
zero rolls?
I would like to have a ghost of that, anybody has a link to it?

DIXI200
12th January 2014, 06:55 AM
THIS is a trophy difficult, I think, and I try to take the time to practice with the track.
I still can not be perfect. My point black .. Jump the ramp, I can not complete the roll .. The ship trembles .. But I do a volte-face finish Off the track .. Under or track.

I'm considering getting the trophy .. " air brakes" (Zone) on AnulphaPass I think this increases my practice and guidance.

Mietepiet
12th January 2014, 07:29 AM
Don't do airbrakes only, since in venom you hardly use them, just little taps here and there.
Take a good look on the side shifts in Yeldar's video, those will help you getting a good time.

My speedlap preparation is:
- 2 zone rounds
- couple of warm-up laps on higher speed (flash in this case)
- 100-lap session, while taking a break when I loose concentration

marcingru
12th January 2014, 07:52 AM
^^ I think I have see vid how to beat Zico without BR on YT. It was made by Pheaton _pl its possible but I assume hard as hell ;) Just a Q how do You guys doing BR on small bump right before those 3 speeds pads ?
For me Zico CH. Was difficult from time I started racing Alunphia it was 680 laps to achieve it . BR on bridge its not so difficult just go as far you can to the eage of track , gain as much air you can.
Regards!

Mietepiet
12th January 2014, 08:11 AM
for that BR you need to have a great line in the first left-hander, to carry as much speed to the dip. This video by JFthebestJan shows the line: http://youtu.be/RfYIsk9xd1U

then from left-side of the track, before the dip, nose down-up quickly followed by a right side-shift and BR into the dip. a 2nd is possible coming out of the dip.
Note: this technique is extreme difficult. I can succesfully perform a single BR every 10laps or so.

edit: I use icaras HD ship for this, I find it almost impossible with Fury

yeldar2097
12th January 2014, 04:32 PM
Here's the video remade. There's tips in the 'about' section if wanted.
Sorry about the sound quality, forgot to remove and replace lol

Time is 30.08 so you should have plenty of time to 'lose' and still beat him :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW85pXN9O94&hd=1

Mietepiet
12th January 2014, 06:19 PM
0.34 faster than the first one, only with lines pfffff. And I thought already you have the greatest lines on earth. nice video.

@marcingru: Pheaton has indeed that video with a dead link to his ghost unfortunately

Zzonkmiles
12th January 2014, 07:01 PM
I just finished practicing. I'm on lap 71 now. I was able to get a 30.97 and a 31.10 but I need to be a little cleaner in the first left turn at the start of the track and at the final BR coming off the overpass. I hate this so much. But it's getting better. I'm trying to do this with 3 BRs. The BR leading to the overpass is the one I skip because it's not reliable.

stin
12th January 2014, 08:05 PM
lol, you made it look so easy and yet you're still sheet hot!

stevie :)

yeldar2097
12th January 2014, 08:19 PM
Would you like me to upload the ghost Zzonk/anyone?

30.97 seems like you're pretty much there, not far now!

marcingru
12th January 2014, 10:29 PM
@Mietepiet , i have pull off quite few times exactly with that method , but indeed extremely difficult and with random ships and in random speed classes O.o
And just wanted to share , my younger bro just started playing WO , first track he started practicing was Alunphia , and i just send him a short video how to make first turbo+BR combo and help little with BR on overpass .....
He beat Zico few days ago

30.72 from top of my head .
Im trying to go below 30 for now .

Gretzz 4 All!

blackwiggle
13th January 2014, 04:54 AM
Would you like me to upload the ghost Zzonk/anyone?

30.97 seems like you're pretty much there, not far now!

Are the Ghost's still available?

Not that I've tried to access them recently,[You tend NOT to after beating ZICO] :nod

But great to know for those that are still being tortured :+

yeldar2097
13th January 2014, 05:17 AM
I think the link in the original video is now dead, and I don't have a backup of that ghost, but the video I just posted is the current ghost on my PS3 so is uploadable upon request.

Mietepiet
13th January 2014, 05:46 AM
@marcin: great run on the br and for your brother.

@yelder: beat Zero is still on my 2do list. but I never gave it a shot, since there's still soooo much to learn for me. I've missed on downloading pheaton's or jan's ghost, that's why i asked for it. anybody has a copy?

JFthebestJan
13th January 2014, 11:25 AM
@ mietepiet: i never uploaded any ghost to any site on the interwebs, but i still have the ghost of 'beat zero'. so tell me where to upload the ghost and i will do. but i've only the ghost from icaras fury run. and you should know, that this particular event isn't possible with v2.51 of the game. you need to play with a version prior to 2.51! i used v2.10

Mietepiet
13th January 2014, 12:54 PM
thanx alot Jan,

i've sent you my email by pm.
drinking coffee right now for the upcomming sleepless nights.

JFthebestJan
13th January 2014, 03:11 PM
@ mietepiet: i've sent the data via email, i hope it will work. if you think the steps i suggested in my mail are not the correct steps, you have to ask some other wise guy then. but it should work.

Mietepiet
13th January 2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks, it works. I've just backed up my ghost on empty USB-stick, replaced it with yours. and copied it back to a new user on my PS3.
Just had a couple of laps on V2.51, will downgrade when I have time for the real.

:eek MAN THAT DEVIL IS FAST :eek

edit: 31.29 - 0br - 16pads :brickwall - piranha hd - v2.10 - 340laps
I loose on boost-start, first corner and left before bridge
think I found a better line in narrow section:
after 3pads return to middle line, right ss earlier, left ss on both pads

Zzonkmiles
14th January 2014, 10:42 PM
My best time is now down to 30.92. And that was with 4 barrel rolls. Clearly my lines are terrible. Argh.

Mietepiet
15th January 2014, 12:39 AM
Don't worry mate, 340 laps were only on the 0 rolls attempts. I think I've run over 10.000 laps on Anulpha in total.
But indeed lines are just as important as barrel rolls. The longer you play, the better they get.

Zzonkmiles
15th January 2014, 02:01 AM
Now my time is at 30.89. That was with three barrel rolls. And it happened on lap 97 of the latest time trial. I had a 31.03 on lap 82.

I don't think I can get four BRs in the same lap again. I'll just try to tighten up my lines and sideshift a little more. I freaked out when I beat my 30.92 ghost and the computer voice said "new lap record."

This trophy is making me angry. But even though it is a miserable one to earn, I personally think Elite Campaign Legend and Arcade Perfect were far worse. ECL requires you to be good at a ton of tracks and a ton of events. AP requires you to win on tracks you may not be good at in general (ummm...Chenghou Project reverse, Ubermall reverse, anything with Sol 2, etc.). At least with this track, each lap can be finished in under 35 seconds, so you can easily retry.

Cipher
15th January 2014, 02:14 AM
Hmmm, this was pretty easy for me; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEj1JIbsY2U
Don't really see what the problem is, the double roll is maybe the hardest part, but that technique works flawless for me most of the times (second technique)

Cipher

Mietepiet
15th January 2014, 06:15 AM
@zzonk: don't overplay it. you'll learn from every game mode and speedclass. and the real learning process is when you sleep. i.e. if you run 400 laps a day with 50 good laps and the rest bad. your brain spent to much on processing the bad laps.

read nofew's post in the videos section. page 280 post #2797 (sorry can't link directly) it's a long post on mental learning.

JFthebestJan
15th January 2014, 01:29 PM
@ mietepiet: with pirahna you'll always loose time in the first corner due to the worse handling stats compared to icaras. the trick with this particular event is to maintain speed as much as possible. if that means you have to take a not so obvious line, then do so! you must hit all 17 speedpads too! dont use the airbrakes, just use sideshifts instead.

Zzonkmiles
15th January 2014, 11:30 PM

I did it. I finally did it. Finally.

On my latest session this afternoon, I got a 30.88. That was frustrating. But I noticed that my racing line on the overpass was ragged. It wasn't a straight line at all. So I figured that I could shave a little more time off if I could keep up with that ghost and drive as straight as possible there.

On lap 75, it finally happened. I kept up with that ghost and edged ahead of it at the overpass by keeping my ship straight.

Final result: 30.79 seconds with 3 BRs. That's it, that's all, I'm not doing this anymore. No more speed laps, no more Piranha, and no more crazy barrel rolls. Back to zone mode I go!

And I am now a member of the Transcendence club!

marcingru
16th January 2014, 01:40 AM
Congratzz, its great feeling to achieve it !!!

Mietepiet
16th January 2014, 06:37 AM
congrats zzonk, welcjome to the trans-club. we're oposite: I loved beating Zico and got frustrated on the zone zeus. one time I missed it by 0.01sec. it took me another week to get it. did it op syncopia though, still want to reach it on anulpha.

as for the 0br attempts: no improvement on time yet, since i was working on the 2 lefts. got the 1st corner good now, no more airbrake on entering. and you're right maintaining speed is the key. need to work on consistancy now and get rid of the little corrections. gonna use pirhana to get sub 31, and from there may be change to icaras.

Ragsus Maxima
17th January 2014, 02:05 PM
Great news, Zzonkmiles. :)
On the other hand, still we don't know if KronicReaper (the topic creator) has made it too.

Knux_Chaotix
17th January 2014, 02:29 PM
Congrats Zzonkmiles!!! Im 2 trophies away from Transcendence now. Still need to get Zone Zeus (Zone mode hurted mah eyes >.< so fast, such intense, much speed, very colour, wow) and obviously Beat Zico. Having an utter nightmare with Beat Zico. In need of better lines more than anything, I've got all the necessary BRs down pretty good. Im determined to have it before my bday.

Knux_Chaotix
17th January 2014, 05:00 PM
Wow... Not the place for that sort of thing Lilith.

scarfrogers
17th January 2014, 07:39 PM
Lol lilith. U sound hot when your angry!

kleidoscopik_1er
17th January 2014, 09:28 PM
I started playing wipeout on 1st december 2012. I found it hard and after 3 days, i checked trophies.
I had the feeling that getting the zico one will help me alot to understand the game mechanics and make progress. So i tried, get alot frustrated, check some vids on youtube, work on it again, and finally, the 7th december this trophy was mine, after something like 8XX laps if i remember well.
So i didn't stay frustrated for too long ^^.
And that's why i think this trophy is a great devs' idea. It help you alot to understand the game mechanics and make the progress you need to become good at the game.
Without this trophy, i think it would have taken me ages to make real progress.
So thx to the devs for that great trophy!

Anyone feel the same about this trophy?

nb: Congrats to all of those who tried and get it recently :)
@Lilith: ??...

AGSys
23rd January 2014, 10:44 AM
Lol Lilith, yous one maaaaad mad girly.

And you guys really think Beat Zico is all that hard? It took me about 9 tries at the most. How about Zone Zeus, Hold Your Fire, Zen Invasion or Elimin18? Gawwwwd, Hold Your Fire is probably the hardest trophy EVER to obtain for me personally. I got close to ZZ and the others but this one? Nope, not one chance. I absolutely hate Detonator >:(

yeldar2097
23rd January 2014, 03:17 PM
When you're a pilot who doesn't use weapons and there is no eliminator mode (pre Fury), AG-Assassin takes a loooooooooooooooooooong time. Trust me :P
Had all the trophies apart from that one for about two months straight lol.

Hellfire_WZ
23rd January 2014, 06:17 PM
Admin message: Don't air your dirty linen in public. If you have an issue with another member, deal with it over PM or consult me or Colonel.

Zzonkmiles
24th January 2014, 01:37 AM
It's interesting looking at the responses from people who had a lot of trouble with Beat Zico and the responses from people who think it's an easy trophy to get. I think the beauty of this game and the trophies is that they require you to be good at a wide variety of events in order to get Transcendence. People who are not that good at general racing or are not that dedicated to BRs and racing lines are going to struggle with Beat Zico. It took me about 500 laps during my final serious push to get this. I am not one who does a lot of speed laps and time trials because they aren't my favorite events. So I struggle when I race online because I just can't keep up with the people who can squeeze out BRs on every little bump in the track. But I personally found Zone Zeus, Zen Evasion, Hold Your Fire, and Da Bomb (the zone and detonator events) to be MUCH easier. Those trophies are related to the events I spend the most time playing--zone, zone battle and detonator. We're all different.

blackwiggle
24th January 2014, 12:22 PM
Just to Torture you all a little bit further.

How to beat Zico with NO Barrel Rolls !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJVV06RUom0

Just get your lines and side shifts down pat.
If you have changed Air Brake sensitivity to a very low amount [below 50% ] the you will find it very hard to have side shifts actually occur when you want them to.:nod

JABBERJAW
24th January 2014, 12:45 PM
Wait! I thought a low % was how much pressure you needed to apply, so 10% would be how much pressure you had to press. Is this wrong?

blackwiggle
24th January 2014, 01:01 PM
With acceleration, the X button should be at it's lowest 10% rating, this gives almost instantaneous acceleration.

With Air Brakes, the lower the setting [%], the MORE sensitive the air brake button you have chosen to control braking becomes, so it basically needs very little movement to brake effectively .

The "Side Effect" of having a very low Air Brake % is, that since Side Shifting is ALSO tied into the Airbraking controls.
The Lower your % is, the less likely a successful side shift will occur.

Mietepiet
24th January 2014, 06:57 PM
@Blackwiggle: I believe you're wrong on this:

at 10% airbrake the slightest touch will give you lot's of brake, which you don't want in this 0br event.
at 100% airbrake you''ll miss a side-shift easier, since you didn't press hard enough, but you won't slow down that much from the breaking.

And yes I'm frustrated (in a happy way ;) ) atm in my 0rolls attempts.

terra-wrists
24th January 2014, 07:34 PM
With acceleration, the X button should be at it's lowest 10% rating, this gives almost instantaneous acceleration.

With Air Brakes, the lower the setting [%], the MORE sensitive the air brake button you have chosen to control braking becomes, so it basically needs very little movement to brake effectively .

The "Side Effect" of having a very low Air Brake % is, that since Side Shifting is ALSO tied into the Airbraking controls.
The Lower your % is, the less likely a successful side shift will occur.

yes. I have noticed this. But i've also adjusted to tapping harder (SS). It takes a little getting used to, but if it works, and you're used to it - its all good :)

yeldar2097
24th January 2014, 09:45 PM
FYI sideshift response times are the same no matter what airbrake sensitivity you run. It's doesn't matter how hard or soft you press, it's about airbrake input. As long as there is a double input, that is enough.

The only thing that affects sideshifting is how long you hold on the 2nd tap, which affects sideshift distance. With short taps, for most circuits it takes 3 - 3.5 sideshifts to cross the track. With long presses, it takes only 2 sideshifts.

If you don't believe me I'll make a video but I have 0.2mb upload and I'd rather save my bandwidth for Phantom TT/SL :)

Protip: Pre 2.51 - The lower your airbrake %, the faster you will be once you master it, for post 2.51 it's the opposite.

Cipher
24th January 2014, 11:12 PM
oh wauw, you can control the amount of sideshift?! o_O
That's very handy to know!!! Thanks yeldar!

Cipher

yeldar2097
24th January 2014, 11:42 PM
Try it yourself. Sit stationary on a track and move all the way to one side, then see how many sideshifts it takes to get to the other side.
On Anulpha Pass start/finish line for example, you can do 2 - 3.5 sideshifts to cross the track. Makes a big difference in corners if you consider the distance covered.

NB: This amount is strictly to do with how long you hold the 2nd tap (the one that activates the SS). Airbrake % has nothing to do with it, as stated previously :)

Bit offtopic, but a pro tip nonetheless. I'll put a copy in the 'did you know' thread lol.

Mietepiet
24th January 2014, 11:47 PM
all I've learned in this game is because of him. It's about time he comes to pick up that big present waiting here for him. before it turns into smoke :dizzy

yeldar2097
25th January 2014, 12:00 AM
Just doing what I can to pass on what I learned from my old masters.

Don't you worry you'll be hearing from me ;)

DDD113
25th January 2014, 01:08 AM
I've always found it to be easier with a lower sensitivity, at least with L1 & R1 airbrakes.

Mietepiet
25th January 2014, 05:45 AM
I've always had airbrakes at 50% with L2/R2. In this event I started playing around with the settings.
@100% I had problems sidesifting and @10% I set my current pb.

Yesterday I changed the button to L1/R1 @100%, which felt amazing. Lowering back to 10% felt a bit less. But I think I have to get used to the new button setup first.

Protip: Pre 2.51 - The lower your airbrake %, the faster you will be once you master it

AGSys
25th January 2014, 10:16 AM
Whoa that's some tip there yeldar. Thanks a lot! Never noticed that. It might be very useful when trying to pull off side-shift barrel-rolling when going off those lil bumps on the tracks.

KronicReaper
11th February 2014, 12:29 AM
Got the Beat Zico trophy. Time 30.81.

Zzonkmiles
11th February 2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah baby! Congratulations! Are you going to keep improving your time or are you finished with this little endeavor?

Luedism
11th February 2014, 02:19 AM
Hey congrats Bro
Way to go!