PDA

View Full Version : A good and a bad ...

DIXI200
20th December 2013, 03:36 PM
The good news is that yesterday I managed to get the trophies .. "Meltdown" - "Fury Legend" - "Second Skin" .. I am very happy for that.:D

The bad news is that, to do this I broke my ps3 controller ..:brickwall

The left stick beating continuously 'plastic ring caused cracks that block the movement of the stick.
My question is, others have had this problem, it's my first ps3 and it is 5/6 months of life, this damage can be covered by the warranty of the pad?
Thnks

Ragsus Maxima
11th January 2014, 07:16 PM
First of all, congrats! :)

And second, I don't think the guarantee covers the Dualshock 3, although I may be wrong. Also, I've never had that problem with my previous controller. Instead, the left stick began to jam itself and start squeaking each time I push it. My old controller was quite old and sometimes, the battery disconnected by itself. Eventually I had to get a new DS3 and up to now, it works like a charm.

If the damage on your controller aren't too severe, you could try to take it to an electronics shop to fix it.

Mietepiet
12th January 2014, 06:27 AM
Same here. my current wipeout controller was build up out of parts of 3 DS3 controllers. Yesterday I broke the case just like you, but my spare case doesn't fit on it :( I started playing with a brand new DS3, and felt much better feeling in in the analog stick. so I think I'm gonna retire my beloved old one.
note: the more I played Wipeout, the longer the DS3 last.

I also modify my wipeout controller a bit:
- weight reduction of 50grams by removing the viborators
- cutting off the select, start and ps3 buttons (I sometimes unintentional press them while slipping off the analog stick)
for a long time I'm thinking of changing the X-button for an on/off switch on triangle, but I haven't found out how to do it.

DDD113
13th January 2014, 12:38 AM
I have many controllers with the plastic ring around the stick broken. If it's cracked and in the way and you don't want to buy a new one, just break the cracked piece off and it plays fine if you can stand the gap in the ring.

blackwiggle
13th January 2014, 04:12 AM
You could always consider building a replacement part.
Find a craft store near you the sells KATO brand Polymer Clay [Don't bother with other brands as they are are not as strong once baked ]

HOW TO:

Take the broken part off your controller [ use super glue to get it at it's original shape]
Also get some Plasticine , the reason for the Plasticine is that the Polymer Clay shrinks during hardening [baking], so you need to wrap your part that needs copying in a approx 1-1.5mm thick coating of plasticine before you make a mold.
This allows for shrinkage.

Then make the mixture up of Cornflour and silicon caulking media.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-Silicone-Caulking-to-Make-Molds/
Make into a ball, or whatever shape /size needed .
Press item needed to be made into the media
Let the media dry, once dried it will peel off like a high priced silicon mold formula ;)

Use the mold to press [you have to condition the clay first by rolling/Kneading it till it becomes very pliable] KATO polymer clay into the mold, remove mold and bake the clay.

Remove from oven and install new part :)

You could make custom parts with this method.
I always have loathed the domed tops of Duel-shocks , maybe you feel the same.
Try making concave stick tops [like the new PS4 controllers]
You can make whatever fine tuning [ridges on the controllers tops to stop thumb slippage ] etc you want.
Just a bit of forward planning can get you a highly personalized controller of your dreams

Mietepiet
14th January 2014, 08:54 AM
nice one there. I was thinking buying a metal ring at the hardwarestore and superglue it on the case. there goes my weight reduction.

maybe you have some ideas on replacing triangle with an on/off switch?

DIXI200
14th January 2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks to all for your replies, I now feel less alone.

@ Ragsus: Hola y gracias .. I was over Christmas to ask. For the sale of PS4 there was a lot of confusion for a moment a guy at the store was about to change my controller .. (No expert), but one of his colleagues spoke very politely explaining that Sony does not change for structural damage.

@ Mietepiet, you open the controller and make these changes?
I opened my controller to see if I could repair the damage, even within the plastic, but I found some small plastic parts for electronic lock and did not want to worsen the situation.

@ DDD113 :) Many controller broken?
So all this will not end? This is my second regulator .. let's see who wins ..
My hands may be "Iron" and "Feather" that day, too much iron strong .. :) Now putting his hands is "feather" when I use the controller .. :). Unfortunately, the blocks of broken plastic stick a couple of times and the ship turns round circle.

blackwiggle your idea is very strong. I like modeling clay and plasticine, but I had never thought of this as a mold for the plastic. I'll do research.
Where I work I have the ability to print images and cut and molded plastic, type - plexiglass - calendered paper wood and plastic, I'm looking for a solution with Max materials with a thickness of 1/2 mm. This is because the thickness does not affect the angle of the stick when it is tilted.
I'll make a picture of this.

In the meantime I bought a controller "GameStop" € 39.98 its weight is slightly higher - the colored symbols on the keys tend to discolor - the rest works fine, the L2 and R2 buttons are + long is better for me and for his warranty is the life, the shopkeeper assured me that if I slam the controller on the wall and breaks it will be replaced. well for me. I just tried this and it .. is still in the Top Sony controller wins.

Cipher
14th January 2014, 04:01 PM
woaaah? the stick ring breaking? o_O
hasn't happened to either one of my controllers (have 2) *knock on wood*
The L2 and R2 keep breaking though -_-

I hate the dualshock 3 controllers, they're terrible D:
Congratz on the trophies Dixi! 3steps closer to platinum ^^

Cipher

yeldar2097
14th January 2014, 04:13 PM
Still on my first DualShock 3. Got it the week after they were released. I hold it like I would a flower :)

Cipher
14th January 2014, 04:58 PM
awwww, that is too cute yeldar XD
I drop mine from time to time, so guessing that doesn't help it's durability, both still work though, they just have their air brakes busted (annoying!!!) and 1 lost it's vibration function =/
been thinking of getting a new one, but bleeh, they're still way overpriced, even now that the PS4 hit the shelves

Cipher

DIXI200
15th January 2014, 10:34 AM
This is the problem :banzai only plastic, the controller works well

Cipher
15th January 2014, 11:52 AM
Mama mia! What did you do to get that LOL o_O

Cipher

blackwiggle
15th January 2014, 01:29 PM
Be wary of buying NONE Official Sony controllers.
Sony are ruthless in disabling Sony Clone controllers so they do NOT WORK with system updates.
It's the reason you don't see workable clone controllers that have a Turbo function, or the like.

We tend to get container loads of controllers arrive from China here in OZ, a lot of them supposedly legit and sold in the major stores.
Several times a PS3 system update has made these so called legit controllers bricks, despite having Sony packaging exactly the same as what is currently in the stores.
Consumer affairs have been on Sony's tails about it, but Sony argue it is due to Illegal manufacturing in China and parallel importing by dodgy retail outlets that is the reason these crap controller are out there.

TheConzio
15th January 2014, 01:46 PM
I've been using the same original controller out of the box, which was about 4 years ago. Not a single scratch or dent, even with those years of HD Fury :)

DIXI200
15th January 2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks Cipher is a wound in battle :banzai

TheConzio your symbol is "feather" .. I'm sure it is.
Even a Yeldar2097 congratulations for your use. ;)

I've learned my lesson .. Feather or Money :lol

I made the form of a plastic meterial 1 mm.
put a patch .. I try my solution tonight.

8454 8455 8456

Cipher
15th January 2014, 02:35 PM
Hehe, awesome, hope it holds dixi, good luck! ;)

Cipher

DIXI200
17th January 2014, 09:04 AM
The function is ok, the resistance we will see .. To be sure I have produced several pieces for the reserve.:)

Ragsus Maxima
17th January 2014, 01:58 PM
It looks a good (and cheap) way to fix your problem. Good to hear that. :)