PDA

View Full Version : Academy

Mano
13th June 2003, 11:49 PM
Heres an idea, what about an "academy" forum in which everyone can post tips, whole circuit guidelines, techniques ,cutting corners, shortcuts, etc, maybe we can compile a WO guide with all the info, the benefits of this: an increased competition and new times on the table (since i play on emus i will just break some records and keep that to me hehehe), this call is specially for those on the top positions on the table (AL please share the knowledge :) )

we have of course to separate the forum into each version of the game:

WO
WOXL
WO3
WO3SE
WO Fusion

OR

We could put an "academy" section in each of the already existing game forums, but i think the first one would be better organized

what do you think about this?

Lance
14th June 2003, 06:26 AM
i could certainly use the help, but i suspect that the knowledge is less important than the skills. i know that there are a couple of courses where i am clearly not doing something that a few other people are doing, but mostly it is a question of great execution.

even so, the most complete knowledge would constitute a competitive advantage. i would be in favour of the idea, but since i have no top-level expertise to contribute, i could only gain; but the record holders could stand to lose that tiny edge that keeps them in the top spot. it seems evident that they are the ones who will determine whether such a section would actually work. it's a question of how much of an individual's self-esteem is bound to his victories. however, i suppose that everyone competing with an equal knowledge base would only show even more pointedly who had the real skill and persistence. in Al's case, he has more than an edge, he has a whole axe between himself and the others, for the most part. a result of superb concentration and motor skill.
so after noodling through my own thoughts, i'd say, yeah, it can't really hurt the good pilots to share their knowledge. look at FoxZero, he disclosed his methods for prototype 1 vector and he's still way ahead. it's execution that really does it

jmoid
15th June 2003, 12:19 PM
I'd be happy to contribute. I'm top 10 on most of the PAL Phantom tables so I'm by no means the best but I must be doing something right.

Vasudeva
15th June 2003, 07:32 PM
I echo jmoid's words. I too have a lot of top 10 and top 5 times (first spot here and there) but I'm no expert, either. However, if I can help: gladly.

I must add to this though that for the coming weeks I'll have very little time due my having exams.

V.

Mano
15th June 2003, 09:13 PM
Its great too see you guys are willing to help!, well the idea is to make those forums kinda permanent, so you guys can help any time you want and post whenever you want, its like a perpetual guide-discussion forum (much better than a regular magazine guide because its interactive) i think this will also liven up the forums a lot and especially with the regulars and top pilots (technique discussion, every pilot wins and learns something, win-win situation)

I think it would be great, we could ask Rob if he can add the forums (please, please!), so far everyone in the thread thinks it is a good idea or is willing to help maybe we can set up a poll and present the results to Infox, and hope he thinks its a good idea.

Wiseman
16th June 2003, 08:39 AM
Heh, I actually tried to start making a complete race guideline for Kordera (back when zargz's challenge was still going on) but never finished it. I have the pictures (which was the hard part, considering my PSX Wipeout just does not like ePSXe and I had to "Print Screen-stop game-paste in editor-start up game again" using the PC version. Hopefully this would give me a good incentive to start it up again, if I can remember all of it.

Brother Laz
16th June 2003, 11:59 AM
Heh, I actually tried to start making a complete race guideline for Kordera (back when zargz's challenge was still going on) but never finished it. I have the pictures (which was the hard part, considering my PSX Wipeout just does not like ePSXe and I had to "Print Screen-stop game-paste in editor-start up game again" using the PC version. Hopefully this would give me a good incentive to start it up again, if I can remember all of it.

Print screen - pause - alt/tab - paste - alt/tab - race. ;)

Task
17th June 2003, 05:22 AM
Not to be the dissenting voice or anything, but... Generally it's just practice. Sometimes there's a bit of a trick to a track, but if you've been practicing the track like you should have been, you'll pick up the trick.
Of course, there are some less obvious shortcuts and certain track features are not always noticed, but I wonder if there's enough material left over to start a new forum.
You can always pick the proper forum for the version of the game you're playing and post a question or some tips...

Still, I do see the idea, and if this kind of a thing starts up then I'll of course happily contribute anything I can. The concept is good.

infoxicated
17th June 2003, 08:27 AM
I see this kind of thing as more of a guide to playing the game than a forum topic.

If folk want to do it properly then we should maybe get a pool of people who want to develop a guide for each track, i.e. not everyone is an expert on every track, but you'll know which ones you're strong on.

Then we add it as a guide on the main site, rather than having it lost in the forums... :)

Task
17th June 2003, 06:32 PM
You know foxy, I do believe you've got it!
So I guess all we need now is one person to tie all the bits together. Someone who is good at document creation and layout. So... HTML format would probably be best... And everyone could email all their tips and track guides to the one person who would create the document and add more stuff as they received it.

Is that a position you were volunteering for, Mano? 8 )

Wiseman
18th June 2003, 08:28 AM
Whenever I do that with a DOS game, Brother Laz, they go haywire when I go back to them (Wipeout, for instance, refuses to accept keyboard commands when I go back to it).

Believe me, if I could have done that, I would of. :lol:

Mano
18th June 2003, 09:08 PM
You know foxy, I do believe you've got it!
So I guess all we need now is one person to tie all the bits together. Someone who is good at document creation and layout. So... HTML format would probably be best... And everyone could email all their tips and track guides to the one person who would create the document and add more stuff as they received it.

Is that a position you were volunteering for, Mano? 8 )

Hehe, i wasnt volunteering for anything, but i would do it if i had any knowledge at all of html or document creation and layout, but i do think its a great idea and the guide could be updated everytime we find something new. Anyone with html knowledge who is willing to help?.

Lance
19th June 2003, 01:29 AM
i'd prefer to see it on wz, but it could be done as a wiki so that no html was required of the updaters, and anyone could update

Confusion
22nd June 2003, 04:01 PM
I see this kind of thing as more of a guide to playing the game than a forum topic.

If folk want to do it properly then we should maybe get a pool of people who want to develop a guide for each track, i.e. not everyone is an expert on every track, but you'll know which ones you're strong on.

Then we add it as a guide on the main site, rather than having it lost in the forums... :)

Pssst... i did that guide to all the secret routes etc in Wipeout Fusion... you said you would put it up on the site for all to see... but you forgot! It's still around here somewhere. :)

infoxicated
23rd June 2003, 09:39 AM
Depends when you sent it to me - I lost all my e-mail in a bit of a computer snafu towards the end of last year.