PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout XL + PS2 + neGcon = half framerate

Gyruss
3rd June 2003, 11:17 PM
Changing the disk speed or texture smoothing has no effect. This sucks, I haven't had a proper neGcon-Wipeout experience since my roommate dropped his shoe on my old PS four years ago. No neGcon support in sight for ePSXe either. Has anyone gotten this to work right?

Lance
4th June 2003, 04:57 PM
i've never worked with ePSXe, so i don't know the answer, however, there are several of our members who have used it. some of them should see this topic in the next few days. in the meantime, welcome to the forums. :)

Mano
4th June 2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Lance, long time no see...

I think his main question is that WOXL works half framerate (kinda half speed, or laggy) on a Playstation 2 when he has a Negcon attached to the system, ePSXe still doesnt have Negcon support.

Maybe someone here with a Ps2 and a Negcon can answer this?

Btw this info made me very aware of buying a PS2 (i was gonna receive one as a gift earlier this year but it transformed into a watch hehehe )since playing wipeout on it was one of the strong points but knowing about his makes me think it twice...tho like i said in other forum i might end buying it just for Gran Turismo 3/4, MGS2 and GTA, all of which i have finished (GTA on PC and GT4.., well, isnt out there yet); yeah they are that good, which makes me think why the hell i sold my ps2 in first place...oh yeah i remember i needed the money :P

Lance
4th June 2003, 09:25 PM
ah. i see. i don't have a PS2 either, so the ability to make adjustments to a console [and PS2s sure need soMething to make them better] just doesnt stick in my consciousness. or senility is kicking in. either that or i got up too early. i actually got up before 1300 today instead of after 1600 like the previous two

yuusen
21st January 2004, 04:03 PM
_
that sounds like a real bummer.

i wonder how much an old PSOne or the original playstation would be on ebay..
_
¥

lunar
21st January 2004, 07:15 PM
I`ve tried 2097 plus neg on ps2 and it works fine. You need to set the texture option thingy on the ps2 to "smooth" or it looks a bit strobey (although the speed is the same). But then 2097 probably always looked like that, and we`re used to smoother stuff these days. When I tried to use fast disk speed the game froze, so I leave that alone, though I doubt that`s got anything to with the controller.

tris
31st March 2008, 09:46 AM
Hello to everybody. I have been registered on these forums since last year (or maybe before), but this is my first post in a long time. I know this thread is old, but now I'm trying to replay my WipEout games and I would like to buy a neGcon.

The problem is that last year my parents make me sell my old PSX "because I had too many consoles" (If they knew I actually have a PSP, a NDS a GBA and a micro they would for sure kill me :P ), and know I'm thinking about buying a negCon and a used PStwo or a PSone (because of their small size, it would be very easy to hide them in my room).

But when searching on the net for a neGcon and to know if it was compatible with the PStwo, the message of Gyruss in another forums popped out and I came here to search for more info on the problem. I see that lunar tried also this configuration and had no slowdowns, but as it is an important decision, I wanted to be sure before buying one of the systems.

So has someone else tried this configuration? Which system do you recommend me to play my old wipEout games with a not yet bought neGcon?

Thanks in advance!

;-)

JABBERJAW
31st March 2008, 12:38 PM
Either one works fine, and you can play zone mode fusion if you get a ps2

Asayyeah
31st March 2008, 01:21 PM
ps2 slim maybe a good choice for you : fully Negcon connectivities and possibilities to play Wipeout fusion ( like Al said Zone mode on fusion rocks and can easily gives you a good reason to buy a ps2)

tris
31st March 2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks JABBERJAW and Asayyeah for answering, but later I found this on the forums in this thread: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34640&highlight=negcon+playstation#post34640

Originally posted by element42:

plus, if you're planning on playing 2097 on a PS2, you won't be able to get past the first challenge, 'cos it locks after displaying the congrats message...
well, it did for me anyway.

Originally posted by eLhabib:

oh, so i am not the only one to experience this! phew... still sucks though!

Originally posted by Rapier Racer:

Aaaaah it froze on me once after I watched the 2097 intro on PS2, I was about to do challenge 2 on it as well, think I'll just get the PS1 out

And as the main purpose of buying one of these was playing my old wipeout games, I think I'll go for a psone. Maybe later, I'll buy a Pstwo to play fusion.

;-)

Edited:

Anyway, did you experience any problems as the mentioned in that thread?

Asayyeah
31st March 2008, 07:39 PM
Just my humble opinion here : if you get an old big ps2 with problem reading dvds and few games you ll experiment problems mentionned above.
I got a ps2 slim ntsc from last year and ALL ntsc Wipeouts works perfectly , XL intro perfect, no problem with challenge 2 either.
I think it depends on how the ps2 lense is pretty new or well used durign years and years.

tris
31st March 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your answer. I have just been speaking to a friend of mine whose brother has a PStwo, and I have told him to ask him if he is interested in selling it to me. So if he gives me a reasonable price (around 70€ for a modded PStwo) I will buy it.

If not, I will buy a PSone for less than 30€ from another friend that hardly uses it.

Anyway, I have ordered my neGcon for 15€ from japan.

:)

Asayyeah
31st March 2008, 10:56 PM
white or black Neggie? if black can you give me address of this japan site, please?

Vincent_VII
1st April 2008, 06:20 PM
There is only issue I have ever run into when playing XL/2097 on the PStwo (slim) with a NeGcon - the controller cuts out intermittently. It is almost as if I randomly unplug the neggie and then plug it back in again... the controller loses calibration for a split second and then things are fine again. This never happens on my PS1.

tris
2nd April 2008, 12:43 AM
White Neggie from a japanese ebay store. I have only seen a photo of a black neGcon, and if finding a cheap negcon took me a while, I think buying a black one will be nearly imposible.

Thanks for your answer Vincent_VII! The brother of my friend who has the pstwo hasn't give any signals, so I think he doesn't want to sell it yet (or maybe my friend forgot to tell him I wanted his console, which is very probable). This seems to be a random problem, maybe depending on the console version (why the fu*$ will sony release so many versions of the same console!?).

But I think I will go to my cousins house to try the games in their pstwo when my negcon arrives. For the moment I haven't seen any good offers of pstwo, so I think I will wait. At least 'til next week! Now I'm playing WO3se and 2097 in epsxe, and they look great at 1280x800 with all settings of Pete's ogl 2 plugin set to high!

;-)

JABBERJAW
2nd April 2008, 01:55 PM
Keep in mind that the japanese negcon's cord is alot shorter than the other versions. You have to sit 1 foot in front of the tv(just kidding), but it is shorter.

AG-wolf
18th April 2008, 06:29 AM
Very strange... I was pretty certain I played through all of XL on my eary eary model PS2. Only encountered a problem when I tried to make it use the faster disc speed, so I just kept that at normal.

JABBERJAW
28th April 2008, 02:17 AM
That was probably the saturn xl version using the RacCon

AG-wolf
28th April 2008, 06:54 PM
hahaha oh yes, mybad, that must have been it ;P

TheFrostE
28th April 2008, 07:18 PM
racCon for life

Asayyeah
29th April 2008, 09:28 PM
gimme 3 extra fingers for my left hand and 2 for the right and i shall use it :robot

JABBERJAW
1st May 2008, 01:46 PM
That controller is meant to be played by two players. It said two players on the box :) The airbrakes on the wheel is probably the best design for wipeout to date

Xavier
29th May 2008, 02:12 PM
I just got a black neGcon today and it works fine playing WO2097 on my Japanese PS2. No complaints at all!

I think the black one is slightly smaller than the white one. I saw both but didn't get to actually test them, so I can't compare the control, but the black one definitely holds up against dirt, grime, and dust better.

I didn't try anything special like smooth graphics or faster disk speeds when rnuning PS1 games on my PS2. Maybe you have to nake sure all of that is turned off?

Mano
31st May 2008, 10:18 PM
its got better grip too, compare the back of it with a white one, the black one has 2 triangular handles that prevent slipping.

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2008, 02:18 PM

I'm about to start playing with a neGcon soon, and I also have an older model PS2, that has already been in service and does not read DVD-ROMs correctly (but CD's work just fine).

Ugh, why don't I keep track of this stuff better? :/

q_dmc12
28th July 2008, 02:34 AM
ePSXe now has Negcon support, I have not tested it yet myself but the new version(1.7.0) does have a negcon controller option.

RJ O'Connell
28th July 2008, 02:39 AM
Heh, thanks, of course I would like to put my neGcon times on the tables here and ePSXe isn't approved! ;) Maybe I'll just stick to Wipeout 1...hehehe

RJ O'Connell
31st July 2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, my fears were unfounded, I ran XL with the neG and it runs perfectly.

(by the way...there was a rule about double posting that it's not a violation if the two posts were 24 hours apart - if this no longer applies, feel free to let me know and merge this with the last one accordingly...)