PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Deceit...

Rapier Racer
15th May 2013, 03:43 PM
Whats the take on this anyone?

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=685516

I think maybe I'm being deceived lol Nice shots all the same :)

Darkdrium777
15th May 2013, 05:12 PM
Mine is that this is a rendered scene made by a fan (3DMax, Maya). A new WipEout game has to come out for me to acknowledge that the series is back, I will not get excited with just rumors like that.

Knux_Chaotix
15th May 2013, 06:14 PM
It all looks pretty damn good, but I dont want to get excited just in case. Wait and see though I guess. Live in hope and all that.

Rapier Racer
15th May 2013, 06:16 PM
It's most likely fan work, its really cool though :)

Nofew
15th May 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm really hoping this isn't fan-made. If this is a legitimate game I might actually be interested in getting a PS4. Realism is important to me and this is, by far, the most realistic game I've seen. ...Then again I could just be overlooking some flaws because it's WipEout. Still. I wonder how Zone'd look..

That being said though, I'm fairly sure this is fan-made. This video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hcJbQuWv0U‎) can't even be rendered using three overclocked nVidia Titans if you want it at 60 FPS. Obviously WipEout's not going to have that many smoke simulations going on but I still figure it'd take a very strong GPU to handle it. I doubt a $400 console is going to have that kind of hardware.

...Then again! The manufacturing cost of a PS3 is around $800. Sony can sell it cheaper because they expect you to spend enough money though PSN to pay them back (which is part of the reason they removed OtherOS on the Slim model -- People were buying PS3's just for OtherOS and not spending any money on PSN). If Sony does this again then there's a good chance that the PS4 will have an expensive GPU in it that can actually keep up with graphics like this at 720p.

I still have some worries though. One of the most pressing ones is the fact it looks so good and Liverpool closed. The last game that got a gigantic graphical update with a recently closed studio was Guild Wars 2 (Which doesn't deserve it's name! Let me elaborate.. Guild Wars 1 is all about thought. You think for hours before leaving and fighting stuff. There's over 2,000 skills you can use, but you can only have 8 on you at a time. You have to think, for hours, about what goes good with your team and voice chat's pretty much mandatory. Even though the game was real-time, it felt more like a turn-based chess match. To make things even more interesting, there's virtually no grind. You can get enough money on your first day to cover the cost of the best armor and weapons available to you by accident.
After about four years the company that makes the game started laying off employees and replacing them with new guys. Four years later, Guild Wars 2 comes out. It is the complete opposite of Guild Wars and then some! There's no thought anywhere; there's about 100 skills and you can have them all on you at once. Nobody talks, and it's basically just constant grind. To really slap us in the face, "wars between guilds" aren't even in the game. There's actually no guild vs guild matches. That's how stupid and hypocritical it is.), and the development team there just focused entirely on money and hype rather than keeping the game the same. Long story short, it's basically Spyro's Skylanders. (Weird. Guild Wars 2 even focuses on dragons..)

So yeah, long story short: There's about a 50/50 chance this is legit. Try to smash your hopes. If the game's fake you won't be hurt, if it's real you'll be in for a really good surprise. Even if it is real, though, don't expect it to be the same WipEout we all know and love. Let's not forget that Liverpool designed 2048 to be welcoming to newbies rather than accommodating to veterans. If they continue that route this game'll probably become a graphical demo for the PS4.

cobaninboban
15th May 2013, 09:28 PM
Well, even wipeout hd on ps3 had cockpit interior and pilot modeled out, however here glass is just blacked out like in any fan art you'll see because it would take much more work. If ps3 version had it, i really don't see how they would remove it on much more powerful ps4 hardware.
Also those buildings in the back don't match quality of other assets in the scene, they are literary plain cube geometry with a simple texture slapped over it. Even wipeout hd had more geometry on buildings and use of normal and specular maps.

Overall image though it does look nice though. :)

AquaAura
15th May 2013, 09:40 PM
I personally think it's fan work. F8000...? Wouldn't we be moving on to the FX500 now, if the ship designs were progressing? And Cake Factory...? That does not seem or sound like a legit company for the future, therefore this probably wasn't made by Liverpool. Liverpool did put 18 months into a PS4 WipEout though...

Rossriders
16th May 2013, 01:16 AM
I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach, cause while this may or may not be real...we'll see. The Logos for some of the teams so far may suggest it could be some 'new' league between the F7200 and the F9000 (which...would bring up questions in terms of the timeline to say the least), but...we'll see.

SZEIKAN
16th May 2013, 04:12 AM
It's probably fan work. If not then it's concept art and not a screenshot. Just look at the boost and weapon pads. They're so big you can't even miss them if you tried!

tommyjolly
16th May 2013, 08:23 AM
There's a blog showing many more shots here: http://wofuture.tumblr.com/

Xpand
16th May 2013, 12:36 PM
Nope, that's a F7200 Feisar in a Wipeout 3 track.
That's similar to the work of Andy Whiteley, the designer of Porta Kora, Hi-Fumi and all WO3's ships. He also made an AG-Systems in the same style.
http://www.youtube.com/user/andywhiteley
http://andywhiteley.com/

Here's his concept art of the WO3 Feisar:
They're very alike, if not exactly the same.

Also, look at the name. Deceit. Do I need to say more?

dreadofmondays
16th May 2013, 01:08 PM
It's so obviously a hoax. Think: How could SL make a grimy wipeout when a) Fusion flopped so hard and b) they don't actually exist anymore?
The name 'deceit' is funny though. It's exactly what I would name a fake game - so I could laugh at people missing the obvious truth ;)

Rossriders
16th May 2013, 02:25 PM
Fake or not though, I can't help but admire some degree of the work put into it, and again seeing the 'F8000' I'm thinking this is meant to be a precursor to the F9000, more so when looking at the tumblr art and seeing Overtel, the company that took over the racing comission sometime after Belmondo's death up until 2170.

Could be a fan-film for all we know or something...or even some fan-game, interesting none the less.

@expand, is there a place where I can find more Wipeout 3 concept art like the example above? It would be much apprecieated.

Xpand
16th May 2013, 06:33 PM
@expand, is there a place where I can find more Wipeout 3 concept art like the example above? It would be much apprecieated.

The second link in my post above.

Rossriders
16th May 2013, 09:38 PM
Ah, thanks, I'll be taking a look :)

jaminjack
17th May 2013, 02:38 AM
Wipeout

F.E.I.S.A.R
17th May 2013, 03:12 PM
The Logos for some of the teams so far may suggest it could be some 'new' league between the F7200 and the F9000 (which...would bring up questions in terms of the timeline to say the least), but...we'll see.
And Fusion was not well received by the community.
This image (http://wofuture.tumblr.com/image/50335705187) speaks of the corruption,and it sure seemed...blatant. I also see QIREX-RD in this picture (http://25.media.tumblr.com/62d1ecd6cb2cb2e8f0f0e4986867bb79/tumblr_mmqid9DNAp1sqjqcno2_1280.jpg). Weren't they absorbed into Tigron Enterprises after the Takeover of the F7200 Race Commission? I remember reading somewhere that, post-Takeover, Overtel upgraded the F7200 spec to F9000 spec without any transitional leagues.
I also wonder why the eff Overtel would want to advertise themselves. What were they thinking? "Screw the rules,we have the Race Commission"? I also want to know if this (http://25.media.tumblr.com/46e1759bc6a4d45986eb403148d5d594/tumblr_mmqi3dXj5L1sqjqcno4_1280.jpg) and this (http://25.media.tumblr.com/60ca5c357f30773d020e659badbc1f76/tumblr_mmqi3dXj5L1sqjqcno2_1280.jpg) are a broken up allusion to Katmoda 12.

Plot-holes,I say.
EDIT:Saw this(Quote:A Tigron Company) (http://25.media.tumblr.com/ed83552d61aed5a7b5d3b2b1fb6961d0/tumblr_mmqi3dXj5L1sqjqcno3_1280.jpg). Either the makers know the story very well,or it's real. I hope It's the former.

Mu5
17th May 2013, 09:54 PM
Nice work :)

Looks a lot like the awesome work of Steve Warburton - http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5507/f5000straightno7.jpg

keg_11
18th May 2013, 01:56 AM
And Fusion was not well received by the community.
This image speaks of the corruption,and it sure seemed...blatant. I also see QIREX-RD in this picture. Weren't they absorbed into Tigron Enterprises after the Takeover of the F7200 Race Commission? I remember reading somewhere that, post-Takeover, Overtel upgraded the F7200 spec to F9000 spec without any transitional leagues.

Well, there's nothing stating that they can't do this and change the timeline. Look at 2048, although it was at the start so its effect on the canon was minimal.

What I've seen, there are things in the images that make it seem legit or fan made. Obviously, they have an uncanny resemblance to Wipeout 3 (however, if this is set between 3 & Fusion, this somewhat makes sense) and as stated before, the FEISAR ship displayed looks exactly like Andy Whiteley's concept image from Wipeout 3. Plus, it doesn't look crisp or visually dynamic in comparison to HD or 2048.

On the other hand, if this is fan-made, they've done a really good job at it, and the references from Fusion are quite evident (Overtel, "Katmoda Project", "King - A Tigron Company", AG System's logo [similar to G-Tech]). Also, the description given suggest a more sinister undertone. This may not sound very legit but when SL closed, it was rumored that they were working on a "dramatically different" Wipeout.

Until any announcement is made (possibly as early as E3), I'm quite reserved.

jaminjack
18th May 2013, 04:14 AM
Wipeout

Nofew
19th May 2013, 06:57 AM
It just hit me -- There's two weapon pads there, one green and one red. That goes more towards the "dramatically different" thing keg_11 mentioned.

...Maybe the title is deceiving us into thinking it's a hoax? Oh gosh, now my mind's going to be stuck on this until the PS4 comes out..

What's bothering me the most is how they're only showing one small section of the same track. It makes me think it's fan-made; it'd be a lot of work modeling an entire track with that level of quality, especially if only one guy's doing it.

Geh. Maybe I'll actually have an interest in E3 this year? When/where's that? Seriously, I didn't give a crap about the thing until the possibility of a new WipEout gamne being demoed came up.

keg_11
19th May 2013, 12:32 PM
June 11-13; Los Angeles Convention Centre

Xpand
19th May 2013, 02:00 PM
The weapon/speed pads are exactly in the same shape and size as Wip3out's. I highly doubt these are in-game pictures. Even the PS4 wouldn't handle such detail as of now. Maybe it could run a small track with one ship at that level of detail, but rendering 8 ships, plus sound, visual effects, AI control, ambient animation, lighting, etc. It all seems way too much. Even top-end computers would take a few minutes, seconds in the best of cases, to render such detailed frames.

Sausehuhn
24th May 2013, 03:34 PM
It wasn’t the real thing (http://wofuture.tumblr.com/), obviously ;)

Xpand
24th May 2013, 05:42 PM
Thought so, lol!

Knux_Chaotix
24th May 2013, 06:05 PM
Cant flaw the effort put in though. Looked amazing none the less.

AG-SYSTEMS
24th May 2013, 06:54 PM
It really didn't look real. It seemed too dark and too dirty.

It does not feel like WipEout. It needs that combination of polish and dirt.

It does not have that F1 feel also, which I consider a major part of WipEout.

AquaAura
24th May 2013, 07:33 PM
Ah well, I suppose it kept us entertained anyway! :D It did seem like fanart though.

Defjukie16
24th May 2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah guys, the link to the tumblr page was posted by tommyjolly on the first page and Sausehuhn on the third, the artwork is done by Maximilian Fraundorfer and WipEout Deceit is his baby. Give him a round of applause for such great artwork (I personally really like the sponsors, Overtel!!) http://wofuture.tumblr.com/

Knux_Chaotix
24th May 2013, 10:31 PM
I loved some of the sponsor images. The top hat monocle, moustache combo wins every time.

WikEv_512
25th May 2013, 01:09 AM
His work is just amazing... but now I know it's fan made and there won't be any sequel on PS4, I just want to kill myself.

dreadofmondays
25th May 2013, 01:46 AM
Fantastic work. :)

stin
25th May 2013, 07:25 AM
Max, how long does it take to do? You did a great job.

stevie:)

Sausehuhn
25th May 2013, 12:48 PM
[…] It seemed too dark and too dirty. It does not feel like WipEout. […]

That most certainly proves that everybody has his own interpretation of what WipEout defines. And that’s totally okay with me. Personally, I’m more into the dirty, rusty, industrial look. Something between WO2097 and WO3 I guess. I especially liked the toned down atmosphere WO3 had, and this was the route I was going down with this project. This is also why Buildings are mostly concrete blocks (read: brutalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture#Gallery)). I wanted it to be „down to earth“ by adding emergency exits and signaling. It is a matter of taste in the end, I guess.

[…] I personally really like the sponsors […]

Thank you very much! The sponsors and all the other graphical elements really balanced the whole project for me. 3D work can become very technical, especially when it comes to UV-layout, different types of textures and rendering, so the graphic part really helped me not getting lost in too much non-creative stuff. It was nice to make up some team logos, too. Especially with the aim to bring them somewhere in between WO3 and WOF.

how long does it take to do?

I cannot really answer that question :D It all started way back in 2010/2011 when I first got in touch with 3D software. I cancelled the whole project after many failed attempts but got back to it eventually much later. I was actually just focussing on the ship itself at first. I really learned a lot about effecient modelling and texturing, about different types of maps and shader networks, all that stuff really. Much, much trial and error by learning how not to do it. The race track was a dicision I made early this year, so it took quite some time too, espacially because I was going for high-res textures as I wanted the images to look sharp and crisp at FullHD.

I was doing the whole thing on my own in my spare time, next to studying. As our university does not offer any advanced 3D class anymore, I really had to teach it all to my own, which is time consuming and really frustrating at times. Especially because Maya is a real diva of program. But I learned a lot and even if it was really depressing sometimes, it all worked out in the end and I’m satisfied with the results. Of course there’s always room for more, but at some point you just have to let it go. It’s a one-man project, thus it already consumed hundrets of hours I guess.

And of course thanks for all the other feedback, really. Positive or negative, it all helps to grow.
Be sure to download the whole package with everything in FullHD, as tumblr downsized the images. If you haven’t already, you’ll find it at the tumblr blog (http://wofuture.tumblr.com/) or just click here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kep9owg8apor2b/WipEout_Deceit_by_Maximilian_Fraundorfer.zip). :)

Mad-Ice
26th May 2013, 09:26 AM
Really nice Max! Big thumbs up :)

Great project and I love the art work and its dark and gritty look. Superb detail. Looking forward to your future work.

Greetz Mad-Ice

TheConzio
26th May 2013, 11:46 AM
I just wish that wasn't fan art, finishing the WipEout series here doesn't feel right, It's still way too early, for me anyway...

AquaAura
27th May 2013, 09:23 AM
Well that was beautiful anyway.

Ace3000
27th May 2013, 10:57 AM
I just wish that wasn't fan art, finishing the WipEout series here doesn't feel right, It's still way too early, for me anyway...

It's way too early for me too, considering I only discovered the series last year.

Mu5
29th May 2013, 03:08 AM
Respect Bro - Best WipEout fan art I have ever seen!! :D :clap

I would love to see some animation ..... camera flying over the track....feisar flying past......... It would be awesome :)

AG-SYSTEMS
29th May 2013, 03:17 AM
Thank you for replying Sausehuhn.

I do like the drity, rusty, industrial look, just that I somehow saw that the future was cleaner, and that's why I don't like it here.

And I liked WO3's "look". It had a dark, dirty edge and a clean, shiny edge in my opinion, and it was put in the right amounts.

Your's just leaned too much towards dirt in my opinion

But the modeling is excellent, and looks very well done. Apparently well enough to fool quite a few people. ;)

Rossriders
29th May 2013, 02:35 PM
It may be fanart, but to say the least, this is some very damned impressive fanart to say the least. I woun't lie, part of me thought this could have been true given the nods towards key F9000 factors including Overtell and Kamota Project (as well as Tigron).

Thing that got me even with potental retcons was just when this game would take place, since AG systems, Qirex, Assegai, Icaraus, and Goteki 45 were not present in the F9000, AG systems was defunct and absorbed into G-Tech, Assegai was acquired into Piranha, Qirex with Tigron, Icaraus is disbanded shortly after the death of it's founder and Goteki 45 was defunct after their base was leveled.

That being said, while the Wipeout games have held a long standing tradition of having story elements be at best towards the sidelines, only able to catch tibits in the manual, on billboards, or as of 2048, the various News reels which gave info and implied certain things or explain for example why Mag strips were not used past the AGRC or why Piranha were absent (outisde of being an airbrake maker) in the F3600.

Given how Fusion went about very different approaches compared to the original WipEout and in spite of the reception among many, given the theme and story surrounding Fusion, part of me was thinking that maybe Deceit was a 2nd attempt, being both self-aware of both the world at that stage and to some degree fandom reception, in addition to perhaps going a bit further with narrative. To be specific, given how 2048 did races on a yearly basis, with even something as trival as craft avaiablity implying some things storywise (such as the Pir-hana Speed and Prototypes being avaiable very late, impling they were in development in the meantime), Deceit would take some steps further.

Perhaps some teams that would be avaiable at the start would not be so later on for given reasons, such as if you played as Icaras but due to your team being disbanded years later, you'd have to pick a different team, among other things. Perhaps a sneak peak and a chance to pilot higher resolution versions of the early fusion ships later in thegame, given the transition from the F7200 to the F9000...a number of potential possibilities that can either be done well or poorly...

But with so little to go on and only speculation at best, apart from how the FEISAR craft looked closer to the concept model, I could only play a wait and see approach.

I could go into more clear and coherient details as to how they could try to go about narrative points without intruding into gameplay too much, but part of me feels like it would only be so much an intelectual excercise at best.

I will say though, I am glad for the fanart, as something of an artist myself, I can understand and appreicare what degree of effort put into everything. I wount lie, I do feel mixed signals on one end given part of me was hoping for another WipEout, and mild dissapointment it's just fan art (some may debate it for the better), yet also...I feel inspired more so to go more about my own fan-art ideas.

Even if they're taking forever but that is a ramble for another time.

And I will add that yes, I do wish there was more to there since I too only really got into WipEout early last year on a serious level...makes me again wish the Playstation 2 version of Pulse was put out in areas other than Europe...some may say it's pointless but I did buy Motorstorm Arctic edge...twice, and you know what? Apart from the demoes I played of the Original and Pacific rift, I felt encouraged more so to buy Apocaylpse and the original (with Pacific rift to be purchased soon enough). If wipEout pulse was on the PS2 in the US, I woudl have bought it in a heartbeat...

If I ever get a PSP, I'll have to get pure...assuming it's still around somewhere.

So to summarize...

Congrads on the work itself, a lot of effort to say the very least, it did get me thinking besides things I already was working on and thinking, kind of dissapointed it was just fan-art yet at the same time, very much impressed and I woun't lie, I did feel a bit convinced, even though I also had a 'wait and see' to which I'd have to see some things out before I believed it. None the less, bravo.

I think a key for why I partially believe it to be legit stems from how with practically no real exception I can think of, FEISAR has been the cover craft or a featured craft in damn near every wipeout title, it's the flagship of the series, even if in history they have not been terribly successful and even in Glik_11's Wipeout Chronicles, their actual championship wins in the long history of the AGRC from 2048 to 2206 is only on the single digits, I think of them akin to some extent Ferrari, or even Minardi/Toro Rosso Redbull, still competing even if they aren't always (if ever) at the top. If they are at the front, it could be the ship itself or perhaps the pilot doing a lot of the work (like Ferrari 2012 with Alsono and Massa, but that's a ramble for another time).

...and off to my own would be fanart.

Sausehuhn
17th June 2013, 02:06 PM
Excuse my late reply; thanks for all the kind words. :)

In the end, I wanted to give the impression that WipEout Deceit could go into a story centric direction. Nice take on that subject, Rossriders, I could see this working. Story telling is something that could help the series to evolve, especially because there’s already so much backstory. Well, maybe some time in the future …

UnleashSonic
26th August 2013, 11:35 AM
I'd just have had a fit and thrown all my money at the PS4 if this were real; I remember being a bit upset that this was just your (AMAZING) fanart Sausehuhn! Oh well, one can dream..

Richochet
8th September 2013, 02:27 AM
Same, I'm not planning on getting a PS4 this time around since there isn't any news of WipEout. Kind of a huge change for me since I bought a PS3, PSP, and Vita to play WipEout. This generation I'll just be waiting for SSGX and play it on my PC instead of getting a Sony console I guess.

docfo4r
8th September 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the nice words about SSGX :)

Having no new WipEout on the PS4 sucks :/ But I guess I'll get one anyways, for Mirrors Edge 2 and WatchDogs. And iiiifff there is by a heavenly change a new WipEout coming, I have a console for it [unless it will come for the PS5 :D ].

AGSys
21st September 2013, 10:49 PM
I really don't have any intention to shell out $400+ for a console and games I'm not even remotely interested in. They have the gall to make a new car racing game (how freaking unique) and throw out one of Sony's most long running and best franchises ever created. This new generation has nothing that good to offer yet (to me anyway). Watchdogs looks cool but I think it'll be just like a modern take on Assassins Creed. Hacking in it seems fun but you can only do things like that for a certain amount of time before it becomes plain boring. Oh well, as long as they keep the WipEout HD servers online I wouldn't be too concerned.