PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer: The Video Game

mrDMG
28th February 2013, 05:41 AM
Anyone played this game? It's a few years old now and was released on the Wii and Ps2.

I only just got a copy of it recently and while it is easy I think it's a lot of fun. From a design perspective, its a colorful/fun take on the futuristic racing genre and has tracks that are quite WipEout-like.

Also of note is that the game was produced by Andy Satterwaite (who also produced WipEout 64, Colony Wars, N-Gen Racing and Quantum Redshift.

UB3R~JKP
1st March 2013, 08:49 PM
Fancy seeing a SR thread! It was a very good game in my opinion, loved the rivals and allies idea.

AG-wolf
27th March 2013, 03:55 PM
I bought the game simply because I absolutely LOVED the movie (actually paid to see it twice in the theater, and it's one of only two Blu-Rays I own... the other being Death Race with Jason Statham, which... I... also saw twice in theaters lol)

Was completely surprised to find that the game was really well made. Although the Wii version looks a bit crisper and has a smoother framerate, the whole experience on the PS2 version was better thanks to the controller. They put a lot of thought into how the controls worked and where to map all the commands; the Wiimote just wasn't suited for what it required.

The gameplay and the tracks were phenomenal... the boost/health system really made you have to plan out a strategy and pay attention to what was going on around you. The battle mechanics were a little clumsy until you learned how to maintain control of the car, then you knew when to use certain moves, the direction you'd be pointing after an attack, whether you'd lose too much speed, etc etc. The rivals and allies system was good for trying to get ahead on tough races, too.

The music was also surprisingly really good, I think the woman who composed it actually won some sort of award.

My only real complaint was that the AI had some pretty bad rubber-banding from time to time, especially on the harder difficulties.

It's too bad the game didn't see a 360/PS3 release, even if only as a downloadable title... the guys who made the game had some great ideas and built an excellent platform to execute them. I know the arcadey/futuristic/battle racing genre is kind of a niche area to begin with, but this one definitely deserved more notoriety than it received.

Also, dat GRX. Sex.

http://i.imgur.com/nNUOEnU.jpg

Argroh Valdios
11th April 2013, 01:37 AM
I think the major advantage it had, no F-ZERO game for the Wii, but was good enough.