PDA

View Full Version : Anyone besides me really like the music from WipEout?

Neo-phyte A10
28th May 2003, 09:20 PM
I have to say, for the first time since 1997 I am replaying WipEout, and last night I burned the music to my computer and have been listening to it this afternoon ... I really LIKE it - I know it was in-house and not licensed, but there are still some great mixes on it ...

A10

xEik
28th May 2003, 10:13 PM
Then http://www.coldstorage.org.uk is the next site you should visit. You may find some versions there that you never heard of.

I've always been a Trance boy so while I like CoLD SToRAGE tracks, I prefer Wip3out score. It's only because of my tastes. I admit that the original WipEout is top quality, though.

Synthetic Consciousness
28th May 2003, 10:16 PM
Beat me to it, xEik... :P

Yeah, Neo, I think you'll like that site...tons of music to download, and feel free to drop by the FoRUM. "Lose yourself in a jungle of ambient sounds..." 8)

Lance
28th May 2003, 10:33 PM
i love the original CoLD SToRAGE tracks from WipEout. it would be hard to improve on those for racing music, particularly for futuristic racing

Wiseman
29th May 2003, 05:34 AM
Yep, I really enjoy his music as well, so trust me Neo-phyte, you're definitely not alone here! :wink:

Vasudeva
29th May 2003, 08:43 AM
When I saw this posting I thought "wow, a rhetorical question"!!! ;)

Yes, for me the music from the first too wipEouts is still the best. A mix of nostalgia to the period in which I discovered both wipEout and non-commercial electronic music.

xEik, there's something I don't understand though. As far as I can tell there are only about three trance tracks on wip3out (se)? I have to admit here though that no track in wipEout history beats Xpander... :).

V.

xEik
29th May 2003, 10:35 AM
Well, I didn't say that there are only Trance tracks in wip3out. But almost every Sasha track there falls more or less into the Trance label. And probably some of the others.
Amittedly the ones by The Chemical Brothers or The Proppellerheads are far from being Trance.

Neo-phyte A10
29th May 2003, 06:54 PM
Xpander is awesome - one of Sasha's most amazing mixes, with or without Wipeout attached to it. ;) As for the Cold Storage tracks on WipeOut, my favorites are numbers three and four (do they have names?).

A10

Lance
29th May 2003, 07:14 PM
PSX game CD track number:
01-[not an audio track, this is the game itself]
02-Cairodrome
03-Cardinal Dancer
04-Cold Comfort
05-DOH-T
06-Messij
07-Operatique
08-Tentative
09-Transvaal

i think that in Europe, there were three additional tracks, but these were not by CoLD SToRAGE

xEik
29th May 2003, 07:31 PM
I think it was the Platinum version the one that featured the additional tracks.
I have them in my WipEout disc (a PAL Platinum one).

01 CoLD SToRAGE - Cairodrome (5:15)
02 CoLD SToRAGE - Cardinal Dancer (5:22)
03 CoLD SToRAGE - Cold Comfort (5:05)
04 CoLD SToRAGE - Doh-T (5:15)
05 CoLD SToRAGE - Messij (5:16)
06 CoLD SToRAGE - Operatique (5:18)
07 CoLD SToRAGE - Tentative (5:26)
08 CoLD SToRAGE - Transvaal (5:07)
09 Leftfield - Afro-Ride (6:26)
10 Chemical Brothers, The - Chemical Beats (4:52)
11 Orbital - Wipeout (Petrol Mix) (6:15)

Vasudeva
30th May 2003, 06:24 PM
The Saturn version has three additional tracks: "Brickbat", "Planet 9" and "Poison". They're not by CoLD SToRAGE however.

A10, "Cold Comfort" is one of my favourites as well :).

V.

Neo-phyte A10
30th May 2003, 06:58 PM
Ah so they actually do go alphabetically. When I went to the CS site I saw the names listed but I assumed they were not in alphabetical order on the CD. Oh, and that would make it tracks four and five that I like - as well as eight. Meh. I like them all. :) (Oddly enough though my burner listed them as audio tracks right from track one ... maybe it can tell which tracks are not audio, though.)

A10

Lance
30th May 2003, 10:23 PM
'' ..my burner listed them as audio tracks right from track one''
as i said, correct me if i'm wrong. :)
those were the track numbers given by the site i downloaded them from, and also, i was going by the assumption that the CD has the same layout as WO3. possibly the burner only detects tracks in as CDA format, or did it list exactly the same total number of tracks?

Neo-phyte A10
31st May 2003, 08:45 PM
It lists eight tracks, only - all audio. It must automatically skip the data track.

A10

Piranha Advancements
3rd June 2003, 04:33 PM
Everything about the original Wipeout is the next best thing after women and The Matrix.

Hmm..that almost sounds sad.

Thruster2097
25th June 2003, 09:53 PM
Everything about the original Wipeout is the next best thing after women and The Matrix.

Hmm..that almost sounds sad.

You're in good company! :lol: :lol:

zargz
26th June 2003, 03:26 AM
on my list only 2nd to women ! (o) (o)

f(*^_^* )

adam917
4th August 2003, 06:19 AM
I think it was the Platinum version the one that featured the additional tracks.
I have them in my WipEout disc (a PAL Platinum one).

01 CoLD SToRAGE - Cairodrome (5:15)
02 CoLD SToRAGE - Cardinal Dancer (5:22)
03 CoLD SToRAGE - Cold Comfort (5:05)
04 CoLD SToRAGE - Doh-T (5:15)
05 CoLD SToRAGE - Messij (5:16)
06 CoLD SToRAGE - Operatique (5:18)
07 CoLD SToRAGE - Tentative (5:26)
08 CoLD SToRAGE - Transvaal (5:07)
09 Leftfield - Afro-Ride (6:26)
10 Chemical Brothers, The - Chemical Beats (4:52)
11 Orbital - Wipeout (Petrol Mix) (6:15)

Let me clear this up for you:

Exactly on the CD, they are:
01. Data Track (no audio)
02. CoLD SToRAGE - Cairodrome (05:15)
03. CoLD SToRAGE - Cardinal Dancer (05:22)
04. CoLD SToRAGE - Cold Comfort (05:05)
05. CoLD SToRAGE - DOH-T (05:15)
06. CoLD SToRAGE - Messij (05:16)
07. CoLD SToRAGE - Operatique (05:18)
08. CoLD SToRAGE - Tentative (05:26)
09. CoLD SToRAGE - Transvaal (05:07)
10. Leftfield - Afro-Ride (06:26)
11. Chemical Brothers - Chemical Beats (04:52)
12. Orbital - P.E.T.R.O.L. (Wipeout Mix) (06:15)

Yes, it was the "Platinum" PAL version which had those tracks after "Transvaal". "Platinum" is the PAL region equivalent to the US & Canadian NTSC region's "Greatest Hits". Anyone know what it's called in Japan (NTSC is used there as well)? These extras didn't get here in North America, though. The Sega Saturn version has "Brickbat" as 09, "Planet 9" as 10, and "Poison" as 11 and that's the end. I'd like to know who those tracks are by and why "Transvaal" was removed from Wipeout to fit those other 3 tracks in. "Transvaal" could've still fit on the CD with those 3 extras in it, as the Sega Saturn's CD copy protect "ring" doesn't start until, I think the 70 minute mark or later.

Does anyone know where I can get the official soundtrack to Wipeout? Or is the PlayStation's PAL Platinum + Saturn's 3 extra tracks the whole soundtrack? I live in the US and I only saw Wipeout XL's (2097 outside the US and Canada) soundtrack in Tower Records, as an import album. I heard that it didn't feature every XL track either but instead, 6 XL tracks and 8 OTHER tracks not related to Wipeout? How is this a Wipeout soundtrack? Thanks for any info...

username
24th May 2005, 03:37 PM
i think that the best three music tracks from WO1 were:
MESSIJ, CAIRODROME, and CHEMICAL BEATS
has anyone here played forsaken, :? the music tracks from that game were wierd but quite good too.
:wink:
dan

Lion
24th May 2005, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the official soundtrack to Wipeout? Or is the PlayStation's PAL Platinum + Saturn's 3 extra tracks the whole soundtrack? I live in the US and I only saw Wipeout XL's (2097 outside the US and Canada) soundtrack in Tower Records, as an import album. I heard that it didn't feature every XL track either but instead, 6 XL tracks and 8 OTHER tracks not related to Wipeout? How is this a Wipeout soundtrack? Thanks for any info...
the wipeout 2097 soundtrack album has different mixes of the same tracks as are used on wipeout 2097. I know there was also an album version for wipeout (orig) as I saw it available on tape (!) almost 10 years ago in a local record store

adam917
13th July 2005, 06:16 AM
The Saturn version has three additional tracks: "Brickbat", "Planet 9" and "Poison". They're not by CoLD SToRAGE however.

A10, "Cold Comfort" is one of my favourites as well :).

V.They are by CoLD SToRAGE too. I have and beat the Saturn version and love them tracks too. especiallly Phantom 9. Too bad Trancevaal isn't on the Saturn though. I'sd like to get the PAL PS1 version of WO1 and EAC+FLAC those tracks, along with the Saturn new ones, to make a big, new complete WO1 OST. LOL

adam917
13th July 2005, 06:19 AM
I know there was also an album version for wipeout (orig) as I saw it available on tape (!) almost 10 years ago in a local record storeWow! It was on TAPE?! That _had_ to be old. LOL. I thought the original soundtrack was released only in France. I don't think it includes the PAL Platinum or extra Saturn version tracks, so that soundtrack may not be complete.

Dogg Thang
13th July 2005, 06:27 AM
No, the released "soundtrack" to the original WO barely contained any tracks from the game at all. None of the CoLD SToRAGE tracks were on it. Just the three licensed tracks and then a whole lot of other stuff like New Order and I can't think who else.

Lion
13th July 2005, 07:59 AM
re: brickbat, planet9, and poison
They are by CoLD SToRAGE too. have to correct you there... solved here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1926&start=9)

daminmancejin
20th July 2005, 09:28 AM
Cardinal Dancer music is great

adam917
20th July 2005, 07:48 PM
re: brickbat, planet9, and poison solved here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1926&start=9)Thanks.

superjar
18th September 2005, 01:37 AM
i always loved wipeout music. i think it contributes to create such futuristic environment that only this game got.

I like CS tracks for WO1 (cold comfort is my personal fave) and Sasha's WO3 tracks (specially Xpander and Icaras) but I think WO2097 has the best soundtrack of any wipeout i've ever played (everyone but pure and fusion), not only for Future Sound Of London tracks (2 in-game & the intro song. I really LOVE FSOL :!:) but other tracks are great too (Chem.Bros, Photek,...)

About WO1, i own the PC version of this game and it only features Cold Storage's Tracks. it doesn't feature that extra tracks that other people have mentioned. 8O .I used to listen that songs using the WO CD but now it has so many scratches on it, that it doesn't play well, so I got the tracks from Cold Storage Website :)

Finally, don't you think that another great thing that also contribute to WO's futuristic "halo" is its graphic design & concepts by the designers republic? (I haven't read the entire forum but i think this topic deserves its own post, it if doesn't exist already :wink: )

Lance
18th September 2005, 02:15 AM
DR has been discussed very frequently and in great depth. you'll find discussion of the company if you look around a bit with the search engine

G-Delta
19th September 2005, 05:32 PM
I think that CoLD SToRAGE's Doh-T is the best in the game... I just brought the Sega Saturn version 2 years ago...and it still plays great today! And with the Sega Saturn version PAL, you can play it in a CD Walkman!