PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Production Ends

keg_11
9th January 2013, 09:29 AM
After 12 years and 150 million sales, Sony has announced that they're ceasing production of the PlayStation 2 - the most successful gaming console in history - in Japan.

Article here: http://games.ninemsn.com.au/news/after-12-years-and-150-million-sales-the-playstation-2s-life-meter-run

Hardawre for the console will still be made. It also says that Sony's decision to cease PS2 production has sparked rumours that a PS4 announcement/plans etc. is along the way.

Fingers crossed!

blackwiggle
9th January 2013, 07:06 PM
I just think they weren't selling as many as was needed to make it economically viable for them any more, the in car installations would be the biggest market.
I know you had to special order a PS2 from a gaming store in Australia as no store kept them in stock, I imagine the same situation existed in other countries as well.
It had a good run.
I'm not expecting a PS4 anytime soon, unless Sony are going to surprise everybody at this weeks CES in Las Vegas.

Hellfire_WZ
9th January 2013, 07:07 PM
Absolutely amazing that it was going so long, I've got my old black box all wrapped up in the loft. :)