PDA

View Full Version : RUMOUR: Wipeout Omni - Next Gen Wipeout game

skythian
4th December 2012, 01:32 AM
MASSIVE grain of salt with this one, but it's worth posting (given the demise of SL, any next-gen Wipeout development is worth posting).

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor-behind-the-scenes-with-first-party-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

Talks about the PS4 (Omni) and several next-gen titles in development. This site actually has a decent record of accurate rumours. Who knows?

– Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers whether it’s the Duo-Moves or the Classic DuoShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay. Plans are a Basic Unit with 160 gigs and just the system with controller at $350-$399 and one with the Omniviewer and a pack-in game for $450-$499. Aims are for a September 2013 launch.

– Omni is also part of their philosophy with the new OmniCloud, the new version of Gaikai [Gaitai Spelling Error Fixed]. This service will not only cloud stream PS1, PS2 and select PS3 games to Playstation Certified devices but will also allow every digital and retail purchase to have access to a copy on the cloud. Basically, you buy one game, you can use it on any Plyastation device. Direct hardware Backwards Compatibility will be available by a $70 – $99 dongle that is plugged into the Omni that contains a PS3 on a chip with Cell to run games.

Xpand
4th December 2012, 01:44 AM
About the new console, well it's about time. The PS3, while capable, has been around for a long time now. And something new and non-portable is needed.

About the wipeout game on the other hand, I wouldn't count on it, just saying... Besides, I didn't see anything there that pointed to a wipeout game, or even any game at all...

keg_11
4th December 2012, 04:21 AM
They did mention Wipeout here...

Known first party games in development for Playstation Omni are: Next Gen Uncharted, Next Gen Siren, The Boydguard, Wipeout Omni, Bump In the Night, Killzone 4, Gran Turismo Prologue, Next Gen Media Molecule, Omni Fitness.

So speculation on a Wipeout launch game for the "Omni" is still down to a "revolutionary" game now in development hell because of SL's closure.

Darkdrium777
4th December 2012, 05:00 AM
Sounds very nicely high tech and futuristic.

160GB though, unless it's SSD Synchronous NAND storage, watdafak?

vincoof
4th December 2012, 09:25 AM
That's a bit awkward to read about 160 GB disk and IMAX movies in the same thread, a single IMAX movie barely fits in 160 GB...

Anyway the news is interesting and the WipEout announcement, while unofficial, is somewhat positive for the gaming community ; but probably less positive for the programming community which is probably wondering why Sony did shut down SL if they still plan on releasing WipEout titles...

FEISAR_ARCH
6th December 2012, 11:46 AM
Unless I see screenshots of WipEout Omni, or maybe some video footage, I'm not buying this.

AG-SYSTEMS
6th December 2012, 09:18 PM
Fully agreed. It seems very strange indeed.

BrunoDG
7th December 2012, 01:05 PM
well, we'll have to wait until then. But what kills me (or us) are those speculations...

Rapier Racer
7th December 2012, 03:34 PM
Sounds cool, I wonder if any of that is accurate, looking forward to finding out.

SONIC_The_Hedgehog
8th December 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm upset at their decision to go with an AMD chipset. :( brings a tear to my eye with how much more powerful the current Gen Nvidia graphics are ;(

- - - Updated - - -

I'm upset at their decision to go with an AMD chipset. :( brings a tear to my eye with how much more powerful the current Gen Nvidia graphics are ;(

Hellfire_WZ
8th December 2012, 03:18 PM
Feel free to discuss rumours on the new hardware, but please take any "news" on further Wipeout game development with a MASSIVE pinch of salt. The future of the series is still undecided. And of course I would expect no one to pester Ami about it either

SONIC_The_Hedgehog
8th December 2012, 04:26 PM
Well I guess we can all just wait in excitement for more news!

Darkdrium777
8th December 2012, 05:56 PM
how much more powerful the current Gen Nvidia graphics are ;(Cost is also a factor, and AMD cannot be beat at this current point in time. Consider that you can get a Radeon 7970 for 380$ USD that will outperform a GTX 680 for 440$ USD on pretty much any game, especially as the resolution increases beyond 1920x1080. They also have a fantastic line of APUs that allow you to play games such as League of Legends at 1920x1080 at maximum detail for 70$. This is really no surprise. NVIDIA is much too expensive for consoles.

SONIC_The_Hedgehog
9th December 2012, 12:22 AM
I see that, but whose really gonna put one of those in a console? I think that a GTX 650 at 109 that would perform just as well against any amd, considering the power of the Kepler core, plus all the games that take advantage of Physx engine. However if you also think about it, another reason is nvidia and amd on a single chipset will probably never exist, and intels are far too pricey to put in a console.
but in what world is a 7970 better than a GTX680?

Darkdrium777
9th December 2012, 12:38 AM
Pretty much all of them (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/1.html), and in those where it isn't it doesn't actually matter as it's always over 60FPS.
As for the PS4, it appears to be based on the AMD A10 with an integrated 7660D (http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/).

SONIC_The_Hedgehog
9th December 2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I've read that too. And its not a bad thing, I'm most definately not saying amd cards aren't capabable, I have certain repsect for them, but for me I personally perfer nvidia, but I guess that an opinion. As much as I love nvidia graphics, I will still definately be in awe of the next gen playstation graphics! I'm tired of DX10
(Though the playstation doesn't technically use it)

amplificated
17th December 2012, 02:50 AM
I'm not so sure the next gen consoles really will be inspiring any awe; at least until the additional power of the gfx cards is actually taken advantage of by increasing the scope of what can be done in a way that makes the market demand it. Until then, I wouldn't count on anything much but slightly better looking versions of exactly what we have now.

As it stands, current mid-high range PC gfx cards are superior to what the PS4 and neXtbox will have. It's just a shame nobody makes games to take advantage of them. That I expect to be able to pull 40+ FPS with most settings turned on full on my two and a half year old HD5870 for any game I throw at it in the next couple of years is kinda depressing.

GalacticSpartan
17th December 2012, 05:33 PM
If this new WipEout Omni is Confirmed, surely everyone would be excited. I'm not going to be buying this unless there is a trailer, screenshots or anything. But if there is, I am just as happy. If these is, maybe I could add a few ideas.

1. Transformation- It could be a new revolutionary that might get added. Who knows lol. Imagine being FEISAR, having the best agility among the class but the thing is during the race, you can't catch up with the competition. Well. There's a solution. Transform! The craft would transform specific parts of the craft, transforming it into a Speed like craft and it'll help you catch up from the pack. But. There is cons.
A. It'll take like a few moments for you to transform.
B. It'll change the attibutes of the craft. It might have like lower weapon damage, bad turning, etc just to stay on a specific class.
Each ship can have something like that. Like for Auricom, have a speed class transformation to a balanced class; have Triakis have a weapon class to a shield class; EG-X have a Speed class to a Shield class, etc.

2. A self campain mode- Ok. Campains were usualy around in sections and each time you beat a race, you get 1 to 2 things unlocked in that section. What about this. In this timeline, your a whimpy team that teams don't even bother to compete aggainst you. You start from a initation, but then slowly, and slowly you start going to the top. You can replace drivers, managers, chiefs and others as you progress up. From going up to the amature series you can start doing contracts. You can do good things, from bad. Like elimating a craft of someone's to start a rivalry, blow up billboards, doing stunts, etc. Now getting into the big games, you can team up and help get to the top of the competition, like allying with Qirex to take down Auricom, or team up with Harimau to create a peace and to win up in the championship with their help. Like I said, its just a few ideas.

3. Custom crafts- Yes. Custom Crafts. Something that people can really love. Buying parts and buying ships from other teams sound happly enough to do. However, to make sure crafts arn't super-duper with 10 all accross the scales in all attributes, each custom craft will have a point system, like maybe from 25-30 pts. It may or may not be in the game, but suggestions always work.

4. Custom tracks- People in the WipEout world are just dying to have a mode like this in a WipEout game. It can be based onto like 4 worlds, like Space, City, Grass, and Water. Like in Forge in Halo 4; each part can cost an amount. Pending on what you create, it can be unique tracks, small tracks, medium tracks or really big tracks.

These are just suggestions though, but I would love to hear feedback on these ideas, if the game is being made. I just did them maybe to see if these were revolutionary ideas lol.

SONIC_The_Hedgehog
18th December 2012, 11:24 AM
While that may be true, the consoles gfx will defintitely need an upgrade. After they aren't even DX11/OpenGL 3.0 compliant. I'm really hoping they have some form of discrete graphics instead of amd's on chip graphics. They don't fare very well against any thing pretty much, in fact on the pc BF3's frame rates were in the 14s? But I also think if we get a newer video card like one with compute capabilities, I'm sure that game developers will take advantage of this, and the playfield of camputer games vs their console remakes will be leveraged.

JABBERJAW
20th December 2012, 01:52 AM
I would be excited with some DE- Evolution, " lets move backwards" sort of thing. At the very least some real promises to not allow what happened to the previous " should have been a great game". Ever again.

Darkdrium777
21st December 2012, 07:45 PM
As it stands, current mid-high range PC gfx cards are superior to what the PS4 and neXtbox will have.They are but that doesn't really mean anything. Some console ports were/are absolutely horrendous in performance optimization :| Something like GTAIV you would think would've run well, but it really didn't, even with lower graphics settings.
Hopefully, since the CPU/GPU architecture is rumored to be more classical and in line with PCs this time, optimization will be better. Exotic processors like the Cell are impressive, but they're a huge pain in the rear when it comes to development, as you have to invent the entire tools necessary to do so instead of working with stuff you already know.

Ace3000
22nd December 2012, 09:17 AM
When I saw your comment I initially though of Saint's Row 2. Good game, but seriously, that was one of the worst PC ports ever.

dadada_999
1st January 2013, 01:21 AM
I know this thread has drifted but i just wanted to say i hope Wipeout is not dead. The other day i showed someone who hadn't gamed for a while Wipeout HD for the first time whilst having a conversation about the first Wipeout games on the PS1. I was reminded how i couldn't for the life of me understand how this game got so low it led to the closure of its developer's studio. The game's aesthetics alone are incredible to behold on a 40+ inch television! I remember, having skipped the PS2 completely, the first games i wanted to buy and bought for my PS3 were in the following order: Wipeout HD Fury, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13....and then i went for the Killzones and Uncharted....this pretty much says it all!

Temet
7th January 2013, 02:07 PM
Just relaying : http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/07/ex-wipeout-dev-says-future-instalments-unlikely

Hellfire_WZ
7th January 2013, 02:25 PM
"Nick Burscombe"? Heh, IGN on the ball as always ;)

The full VG247 article is here - http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/ex-wipeout-dev-casts-doubt-over-future-instalments-discusses-new-project/

GalacticSpartan
8th January 2013, 05:04 PM
Ahh :< that stinks. If it does, it'll be happy for not just for us but to other fans. If it was'nt for WipEout, Playstation would'nt be the same as it would.

gmrtom7
15th January 2013, 09:18 PM
"Nick Burscombe"? Heh, IGN on the ball as always ;)

The full VG247 article is here - http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/ex-wipeout-dev-casts-doubt-over-future-instalments-discusses-new-project/

I've never been the biggest fan of VG247 (journalistic shenanigans, misleading headlines, etc.), so this might be me taking this whole thing out of proportion, but this strikes me as little more than a guess. A source, though admittedly previously involved with Wipeout, ventures a guess as to the future of the series, despite any official involvement with the project or with Sony. I'd be honestly surprised if there isn't a Wipeout game with a newly-reassigned SL/Evolution Studios division at the helm for the launch of the PS4. It's always been a series that absolutely shows off Sony's newest hardware, and I'd be shocked if they decided to just throw it away (especially considering the rumors that the newest project was 12-18 months in development).

Hellfire_WZ
15th January 2013, 09:52 PM
From the comments page on the article:

---------------------------------------------------------------
nburcombe
"Hi Guys, I just want to clarify here – I’m absolutely no authority on what Sony’s plans are. This was a bit of speculation on my part. I’ve not been at the studio since 2010 as it says in the whole interview you’ll see on VG247 – hopefully tomorrow. I’m surprised it turned into a stand alone story at all to be honest. This question was the final question of a much wider interview. The fact is I dont know what Sony’s plan are and I thought that was clear in the interview. I hope there is of course, but don’t take my speculation as fact guys. The person whose job it is to rely the facts is none other than Ami Nakajima. She’s the community manager and if there’s any news or developments – she’s the one to ask. The Wipeout 2048 facebook page is your first port of call. :) Go there, like the page and show that there is demand for the game – that would be my recommended course of action."
---------------------------------------------------------------

Any other site reporting Nick's comments in the article as anything other than his own independent views *coughIGNcough* are talking total bollocks.

Hellfire_WZ
16th January 2013, 08:44 AM
Turns out the previous link I provided was also just an excerpt. Here is the FULL full interview

www.vg247.com/2013/01/16/from-wipeout-to-ios-a-chat-with-playrise-digital/

Ami Nakajima
16th January 2013, 04:08 PM
I'd be honestly surprised if there isn't a Wipeout game with a newly-reassigned SL/Evolution Studios division at the helm for the launch of the PS4. It's always been a series that absolutely shows off Sony's newest hardware, and I'd be shocked if they decided to just throw it away (especially considering the rumors that the newest project was 12-18 months in development).

Evolution is not at the helm, that was rumour and speculation blown way out of proportion (AGAIN) by gaming press, who's source for the original story was one tweet from a team member who 'spotted' me visiting. Both studios often visited each other and it wasn't anything unusual, but it was then used to create a story weeks after I visited and once SL had closed.

There has since been loads of sites that have added their own wild theories to the story

It has become ridiculous.

Hellfire is right when he says to take what these stories say with a massive pinch of salt.

In short: if it's not news or an official announcement from me or Sony it isn't worth reading, because it won't be true.

Mikahail
16th January 2013, 04:45 PM
All of the information brougt by internet is to be read with extreme caution. 99% of the info has no reliable source with which we can confirm the contents.
If there's no confirmation or announcement by Sony, it's no use to believe in any rumor or info on a next WipEout. Even if we are hardcore fans.

Edit : Beated by your edit, Ami.^^ (Damn LoL match)

gmrtom7
16th January 2013, 10:55 PM
Evolution is not at the helm, that was rumour and speculation blown way out of proportion (AGAIN) by gaming press, who's source for the original story was one tweet from a team member who 'spotted' me visiting. Both studios often visited each other and it wasn't anything unusual, but it was then used to create a story weeks after I visited and once SL had closed.

There has since been loads of sites that have added their own wild theories to the story

It has become ridiculous.

Hellfire is right when he says to take what these stories say with a massive pinch of salt.

In short: if it's not news or an official announcement from me or Sony it isn't worth reading, because it won't be true.

Oh, I definitely agree. Please don't misunderstand me; I'm not trying to circulate rumors. However, I do believe it would be very odd of Sony to throw away a rather popular (and I assume profitable) series, especially one as iconic as Wipeout. Besides, many of the rumors about Evolution stemmed from the fact that both it and SL were in pretty close proximity, both in terms of location and genre of choice. I'm just someone who hopes to see the series return, and feels that a lot of the recent signs point to that happening in the near future.

Ami Nakajima
17th January 2013, 09:36 AM
I know what you meant gmrtom7, don't worry.

Yes Evo is close by and yes they were almost a sister studio to us in many respects, but they are not handling WipEout.

Who knows what the future holds for us right now. It saddens me to see so many lost to the influx of clones lately and it definitely impacts decisions made for WipEout

It's something everyone should be thinking about.

Xpand
17th January 2013, 02:32 PM
I don't think that many people are being lost to clones.
I mean, there are like one or two good ones, but they're mostly one-time-play games, like just playing them for lulz. Someone who has played wipeout is always certain to return to the origins. :D

AG-SYSTEMS
17th January 2013, 11:34 PM
I'll just drop my opinion here.

The chances are high that their won't be another WipEout.

Why?

Because I've seen quite a few things. I've seen companies throw out something about that was almost complete.

And I've haven't seen a lot of Vaporware resurrected from the dead.

This WipEout is rumorware, to coin a new term. SSGX is the spiritual successor to WipEout

Forgive for that last line there, but it's kinda true.

vincoof
21st January 2013, 12:02 PM
While Ami officially told the rumour was nothing more than a rumour, we still don't know if there will be another WipE'out" title anytime soon (or less soon...). WipE'out" was already risen from the dead few years ago so it's understandable that people believe WipE'out" could be reborn "again". I'm not saying it will be reborn neither I want it to be, just that we don't know as of today.

jaminjack
2nd February 2013, 07:01 PM
http://gamingbolt.com/concept-art-from-cancelled-ps4-wipeout-game
This is the page for the links

These concept arts were created by Darren Douglas, who was a concept artist/art director for studio Liverpool
Could these be the wipeout art for the ps4

docfo4r
2nd February 2013, 08:52 PM
All your attachments don't work. I think there is something wrong with the attachment system of the forum. Can you upload them with a filehoster or give us the link to the source?

EDIT: Thanks :)

Sausehuhn
3rd February 2013, 08:44 AM
Pretty sure they were made for WO2048. Great stuff anyway!

Hellfire_WZ
3rd February 2013, 11:50 AM
Yes, that is 2048 concept art.

blackwiggle
16th February 2013, 02:41 AM
Yes Evo is close by and yes they were almost a sister studio to us in many respects, but they are not handling WipEout.

Who knows what the future holds for us right now. It saddens me to see so many lost to the influx of clones lately and it definitely impacts decisions made for WipEout

It's something everyone should be thinking about.

The CLONES don't have 18 years of video game history behind them and the fan base that has sprung up behind that.
Any new game that were to emerge under the Wipeout banner would garner far more interest without the need for promotion than a Clone with a large advertising campaign behind it.

As Coin Berry mentioned in a post a few years back, Sony had thought it had read the market thinking that the popularity curve of racing games generally was waning, so it told SL that no new Wipeout games were to be made for the foreseeable future whilst they were mid way through making FURY.
It was only the Vita launch that reversed that decision for one more game with 2048.

So what happened at E3 last year? Nearly every new game being made, or planned to be made was some sort of shooter [yawn], exciting wasn't it [not]

Is there only one market research company the whole industry uses? You would think so after last years E3.

When the whole industry heads in one direction like lemmings over a cliff, you are going to get one or two maverick, non suicidal gaming companies, that are going to do something "Different", that they see is not being done ...... Oh!, Sony closed down SL and have stopped making Wipeout, there's a hole that needs to fill a fan base, let's make a AG racer.

Look, I can see this as a positive thing in the long run.
If any of these Clones are even partially successful it will have to make Sony have a serious re-think about the whole SL/Wipeout closure/moth-balling, if only to save the value $$ of the Wipeout franchise, the longer it waits the more the value of the Wipeout trading name will be eroded.
Or, if it doesn't want the expense of reopening SL, even to license the game out to a independent that it thought could do the franchise justice [although I think that is rather unlikely as Sony likes to be in total control, so it can misread a situation and stuff things up all by itself ]