PDA

View Full Version : CURRENT Third Party Dualshock 3 alternatives OR Good DS3 Mods That Work?

Medusa
14th September 2012, 07:54 PM
Did a search, all over the www and here as well. I hope a new thread is not out of order. My DS3s are driving me to madness, L2/R2 buttons nearly sprain my fingers after a couple of hours and sticks occasionally run a bit left/right without me moving them. As I'm trying to play Mirror's Edge speedruns where any slight mistake is death, this is no longer acceptable!! (Other games I play are fine with these controllers, as adjustments are easy to make.) Buying controllers to try and then returning is not an option.

The www's results for a "suitable" 3rd party PS3 controller came down to the Power A Pro Elite controller (wireless and has motion sensing) or the Afterglow controller (no motion sensing). I want it to have motion sensing so that basically limits me to buying a new DS3 or else trying this PowerA Pro Elite thing.
DS3s give me hand cramp with a lot of L2/R2 use, so I thought I'd like to try a bigger size controller/XBOX style.

Thought about adding on the stick grips and trigger buttons to a new DS3, but that still leaves with a small DS3 controller.

Adding to my dilemma is that each new PS3 update has the potential to delete the third party controller support. :blarg So many reviews I read were from a couple of years ago. Are these controllers even still compatible?
Plus...there's apparently new DS3 models out. Are the sticks any better on these? Both my controllers are model CECHzc2u. One was noticeably better than the other but no different looks-wise. :?
So, I need the controller to have motion sensing, rumble, and above all, good sticks. I have DS3s for good Dpads, I don't need that in the controller. Do any of you currently have a controller that you KNOW still works with an updated PS3?
Or, have you found a grip add-on for a DS3 that makes it nicer to hold/use? (I couldn't find anything other than silicon sleeves.)

Help needed in la la land, before more blood vessels burst while Faith wanders off ledges all on her own...

AG-SYSTEMS
14th September 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you there. You really seem to be on the edge of madness.

I'll check my DS3, because it feels pretty good to me.

Edit-No hope there, it's the same model number.

MegaGeeza22
15th September 2012, 10:46 AM
When my controller broke i bought a Quick Act ps3 controller, it is very good and its just the same as a normal controller but it doesn't have sixaxis capabilities... but the analogue sticks have never stuck and it serves me well after a year of constant use, the trigger buttons are also comfortable to use. I looked online briefly but i could only find 2 used ones on amazon but they are probably stocked in other places, i bought mine for 20 pounds which included a 3 year guarantee so it was a good purchase.
But if you are looking for sixaxis capabilities this isnt really the controller for you lol... but i don't think many 3rd party controllers have this function anyway.
I brought mine from Argos in the UK.

Medusa
15th September 2012, 10:03 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I've gotten really attached to motion sensing for HD and this year's go at ME it is also growing on me (I had it turned off last time) so it'll have to have that, I've decided...my plan is: pick up the real triggers, stick caps and heck, why not a silicone skin, and tack these on a new Dualshock. Then, compare the new Dualshock to the Power Pro Elite. :lol My credit card is weeping.
And I will see which comes out on top, ie, which one survives me and vice versa.
Bring it on, frustrating-games-from-hell-that-I-love!

Medusa
23rd November 2012, 03:23 PM
Here is a Power A Pro Elite wireless PS3 controller and a Sony Deep Red Dualshock 3 with a regular old DS3, and then the new red one with "mods". The new ds3 has a different model number, CECHZC2Ua1. Other than that and the colour I don't see any difference, other than it not being all worn out :)
I added Gioteck Real Triggers, silicon thumbstick caps, and a cheapo silicone skin which I then cut out further on the top of the controller as I suspected the skin may be blocking the bluetooth signal somewhat and also looked really ugly(and still does! haha)

Anyway, I think I've tested these pretty thoroughly now, here's my conclusions if anyone cares now or in future:
For using the dpad, the DS3 undoubtedly wins. The PowerA's is almost completely useless, even when navigating the XMB it sometimes jumps in the wrong direction. If you try to use it for a game you'll sprain your thumb in five minutes due its location on the controller!
For the sticks, it's a draw, and comes down to preference.
Shoulder buttons, if you need very fine analog control its the DS3 but if you need a button to work instantly and perfectly each time you press it, the PowerA wins. Awesome!!
Face buttons: same as shoulder buttons. In fact I found the PowerA to be unusable for LittleBIgPlanet because you can't push the buttons down harder and jump higher, where you can with the DS3.
Sixaxis: Both work flawlessly. I prefer the PowerA for any sixaxis though, as it's just so perfect for comfort and grip. Really, really perfect.

At the end of the day(s)...
I've put the Real Triggers and stick caps on both my dualshocks. I wish I'd done this ages ago, they are absolutely awesome and especially the L2/R2 buttons are sooo much improved IMO.
The silicone skin makes the DS3 extremely comfortable, however I'm going to have to cut out the skin more yet, to remove the silicone around the stick "circles/sockets". The stick rubs on the silicone and catches at times. Annoying!
The ugly modified red DS3 is my goto controller if I must use a DS3, which is dictated by the limitations of the PowerA (read on)

The PowerA is the most comfortable controller I've ever held. It's coated with a thin layer of silicon and has the loveliest texture on its grips. Its the type of texture that is on tactical combat knife handles, not joking. It is not bluetooth though, it's wireless and requires a receiver to take up one of your PS3's USB slots. But there is a charger for the controller attached to the receiver so I don't miss the slot at all. The problem is that you must have a clear path from controller to receiver or it will lose its connection-so if you stick your leg between the two suddenly you lose control of your game. For that reason alone, I dub the PowerA Pro Elite the best controller for non-dpad, non-elite, non-fine-analog-control gaming! Basically, any "casual" game that I own, I use this controller with. Defining casual as no highly competitive online gaming or very difficult and long boss battles where accidentally losing connection will pop a blood vessel. Make sense?

Anyway, the DS3 "mods" only cost me about ten bucks including shipping to my door, and I highly recommend them if you find the DS3 grip gets uncomfortable or even if you'd just like a bit more grip. Impossible to drop the thing, really. I also recommend the PowerA if you don't mind the issues noted above.
It would be spectacular if Sony offered two official controllers with their next console, one Sony type and one reverse thumbsticks(XBOX) type. The PowerA's comfort is da bomb!!

Archon
3rd December 2012, 10:57 PM
Etokki sells an excellent Dualshock 2 to Playstation 3 converter (http://etokki.com/iNPiN-PS2-to-PS3-Converter), so you can use a PS2 controller with your PS3. This will not help if your game requires motion controls, but it may be a helpful alternative.