PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Played Wipeout on the Vita Yet?

Terramax
10th September 2012, 09:32 PM
Heya,

Sadly, my internet is so slow I can't download it on my Vita... :(

But whilst I wait for the chance to download, has anyone else here downloaded it and able to tell me what it's like? I wonder if, visually, it looks better being on a smaller screen? Or what it plays like with the Vita's controls.

Dusk118
10th October 2012, 11:08 PM
I downloaded it to my Vita the day of the update, and I'd have to say that the gameplay is not much different than on a PS3 or PSP. The touchpad is a little... "touchy", and even just resting your fingers on it will cause your ship to drift in one direction or another, since the upper touchpad is used as the L2 and R2 butons. On a smaller screen, the quality is awesome. You're not seeing every single pixel as a 10x10 square on your screen, which is good for me. Overall, it's what you'd expect a PS1 classic to look like on the Vita.

Terramax
1st December 2012, 12:18 AM
I downloaded it to my Vita the day of the update, and I'd have to say that the gameplay is not much different than on a PS3 or PSP. The touchpad is a little... "touchy", and even just resting your fingers on it will cause your ship to drift in one direction or another, since the upper touchpad is used as the L2 and R2 butons. On a smaller screen, the quality is awesome. You're not seeing every single pixel as a 10x10 square on your screen, which is good for me. Overall, it's what you'd expect a PS1 classic to look like on the Vita.

Cool, thanks for that. I might just get, and see if there's a way to reassign the buttons so that it's L1 and R1 to hard turn.

Can I ask what the soundtrack is like for the game. It was different on the Saturn and PSX, and I also wonder if the Chemical Brothers song is on there still (seeing as they may have to pay extra for the privilege).

Terramax
6th April 2013, 02:46 PM
Well, after a LONG time, I finally added to my Vita collection.

First things first, you can reassign to the Vita's L + R buttons.

The game is based off of the playstation version, so it has the soundtrack for that game, none of the Saturn exclusive tracks, which is a shame as I prefer them more.

In fact, everything about the game is intact. It still offers 2 play linkup! The sharper screen means it never looked better, and the Vita's analog means it never played better.

Overall, this is still highly playable still, and the best experience you could have with the original. If only they'd release the 2nd and 3rd games on Vita...

JABBERJAW
6th April 2013, 07:53 PM
did you actually try the link up? I am pretty sure it wont work. im also guessing the analog is not analog, just full left or right turn with the analog stick (emulating dpad), meaning no degrees of turn. Hopefully im wrong, but I would put money on this being the case

Terramax
1st December 2013, 06:05 AM
did you actually try the link up? I am pretty sure it wont work. im also guessing the analog is not analog, just full left or right turn with the analog stick (emulating dpad), meaning no degrees of turn. Hopefully im wrong, but I would put money on this being the case

It plays just like you were playing with the d-pad. No difference.

Just played it back to back with the Saturn version. I much prefer the Saturn version.

We're having a community playthrough of it at the Segasaturn.co.uk forums.

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/7520/community-playthrough-3-wipeout?page=5&scrollTo=107552

IXxNOCTURNALxXI
12th January 2014, 12:12 PM
I brought it on psn not long ago and i've noticed how hard the game is to play. When I was a lot younger i'd spend hours drilling that game but since i've come back to the original i've found myself using the Feisar ships and even then I still suck at it but still, I am glad I bought it, it brings back some good memories :)

Greevb
12th January 2014, 03:03 PM
Man I have the original on the PS1 and a Japanese copy, but downloaded on my PS3/PSP/Vita and I'll agree even it's the classic that started it all and was just waiting for the system to catch up to its potential. That game is so much more difficult then the others to me, though I've been practicing on and off for something I heard about a wipEout 95 time trial tournament.

I still play most of the old games to new ones daily though, been a bit obsessed. Though it's really the only game genre I play a lot.

Snakenator1
22nd February 2014, 03:00 PM
I found the Vita version had much better sound. I find the ps3 version was very quiet and I have turn up the volume on my TV way high to hear the game. But thanks to the Vita's speakers it sounds way better and much louder even without maximum volume.

I also prefer using the D-pad on the Vita than the ps3 controller as the analog sticks don't get in the way on the Vita.

dmcclusky1234
4th September 2014, 06:31 PM
I downloaded wipeout for vita.a bit complicated because of the rear touch pad activates the airbrakes. once you change it the game feels a LoT better. (for me)

mannjon
3rd December 2014, 02:30 PM
I actually have 2 copies of the original game, a downloaded version for the PS3, and the same downloaded version for Vita, as well as an emulator ROM which was played on an OUYA. Out of curiosity, I decided to do a little run through on each platform.

1. PC Version: This is by FAR the easiest version of the game in my opinion. I think that Wipeout requires a bit more precision in timing, and the PC mapping was difficult to get used to at first, but wound up giving me the most directly responsive controls. After a practice run or two to get used to the controls, I was able to speed run the game with the old AG without losing a single race on both speed difficulties with little effort (though Silver Stream did throw me for a loop on the first lap at that insane hairpin before the uphill).

2. Wipeout played on a PS2: Interestingly enough, despite being displayed in a poor resolution due to the problems with PS2 and HD TV's, I found it was easier to play on PS2 than PS3. I lost a few times in my quest to finish the game, but it wasn't too much extra effort.

3. PS3 Download: This is where I first had some problems. I think it is due to the controller difference between PS2 and PS3. Despite having tried the other consoles first and thus familiarizing myself with the tracks again, I had some serious problems with Silver Stream and Firestar.

4. Vita Version: I also had some serious control issues on the Vita. It just isn't optimized for the older control scheme. I had a lot of the same problems encountered in the PS3 version. There seemed to be a bit more lag between on-screen controls than with PS3.

5. OUYA emulator: WORST WAY TO PLAY EVER. Even with an app that let me use a PS3 controller, the lag was so awful that I could barely stay off the walls. I was running it in Open-GL mode (which looks amazing by the way by comparison), which could explain some of the lag due to framerate problems from the Open-GL. I was able to unlock Firestar, but the lag was just too much to overcome, and I never wound up getting first on the track.

All in all, I'm glad a new generation gets to experience the older games though.

Cipher
3rd December 2014, 04:06 PM
The PS3 tends to suffer from input latency (in my experience) with classics

I actually find that it works better on the vita than on the ps3 though, and i don't find the controls too bad either, the D-pad on vita is much nicer than PS1/ PS3 controllers imo, the game's unforgiving as hell though :P

Cipher

Hybrid Divide
8th April 2015, 07:00 PM
I enjoy playing it on the PSP.

As nice as the Vita looks, I wish the buttons were bigger.

PSP was perfect.

NeroIcaras
31st January 2016, 05:52 AM
I really want to get it for Vita!

KinRagamine
7th February 2016, 03:04 PM
Is it really the case where the PS3 classic version suffers from input lag? Must be a reason why I struggled so much with it!... or I could just be horrid at it.

I'll give other methods a go. I'll see if that's true.