PDA

View Full Version : I'm searching advice on which PS2 games to buy

xEik
19th May 2003, 08:33 PM
In a couple of weeks I'm probably going to buy a PS2. I know that many of the people here have owned one for a long time.
My intention is to buy a good battery of (if possible cheap) games. That's why I'd appreciate your opinions on which games I should definitely buy and which ones should I stay away from.

Tenchu 3 and Ace Combat 4 will for sure be in the lot. I'm still pondering if I should buy Fusion. And today I saw Rez for 15 euros (seems a fair price). Other candidates are Oni (I've heard people love it and others hate it), GTA3 (which one?).

The problem is that I don't really know where to begin. Normally I wouldn't be asking this since I like to build my own opinions since I used to buy a console mag monthly but about I year ago I got tired of reviews of games I wasn't probably going to play. So now I'm kind of lost. After your recomendations I'll probably read some reviews on the net and make my decissions.

Remember that platinum titles are more appreciated. ;)

Oh, don't bother posting sports games. For some reason I can't seem to enjoy any kind of football (that is soccer for you crazy NTSCers ;) ) baseball, basketball, american football or whatever of those (I know you love Madden ones Infoxx ;) ). Racing is OK though but that isn't really a sport. :P

Thanks in advance for your time and wisdom. :D

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

foxfoil
19th May 2003, 09:32 PM
even though wipeout fusion is not very highly rated around here... (i dont know your views on it) its still a good game :) and now its at a reduced price too !.
apart from that well i would have to say :
-Metal Gear solid 2 substance.
-Silent Hill 2* (and soon3!)
-GTA3* first i think....then after that VICE CITY once you finished the 3
-final Fantasy X*
-Guilty Gears X2 (for 2d fighting) and Virtua fighter4* or Tekken4 for 3d :)
-timesplitters 2
-devil may cry*

(* reduced price so no Xcuse not to buy then !)
but in the end it all depends on your style :)

there are probalby more.... but havent popped into my head yet (apart from sport game)

AmishRobot
19th May 2003, 10:12 PM
Ico and Rez should be fairly easy to find at a low price. They're both quite good. Virtua Fighter 4 is also fantastic, and I've seen it at good prices. If you want a fighting game, i would say either that or wait for Soul Calibur 2. Both Tekkens were a bit disappointing on PS2. Twisted Metal Black is good, and Soul Reaver 2 is alright. I can't say I recommend Metal Gear Solid 2. It will simultaneously amaze you and beat you about the giblets with punishing reminders of anniversaries. Rent it, beat it, and you'll probably be done with it.

GTA3 should be a requirement of PS2 ownership.

xEik
19th May 2003, 10:34 PM
Should I then buy MetalGear Solid 2 substance (I hear that it has the whole game plus some new training missions). I already found MGS for PSX too short.

About GTA I'd like to hear which one you preferred. 3 or ViceCity?

I know not many people like Gran Turismo 3. Is GT Concept any better? It seems it doesn't have history mode, only arcade. This doesn't seem very wise. :-?

I gave up on fighting games (I own VF2 for Saturn and SFa3 for PSX) because I hardly ever find someone to play and I soon get tired of fighting against the machine.

Oh no need to post First Person Shooters. For that I already have my laptop and it's obvious that the keyboard+mouse combo is much better than a pad for this kind of games.

I'm a Soul Reaver fan but some people told me that 2 is far too short. :-?

Bob Todd
20th May 2003, 07:51 AM
I know you said no FPSs, but I have to recommend Fur Fighters. It has elements of shoot-'em-up, but also has platformer-esque action and puzzles to solve. The lip sync in the FMVs is awful, but the graphics are nice. Don't let its cartoony appearance fool you - it's not a kid's game. The game has a good learning curve and lifespan and plenty of humour, including references to James Bond and Indiana Jones. There's just so much variety as well... it's defienitely one of the best dark horse games for PS2, and it's for a reduced price too.

It's not PS2-exclusive, but pick up SSX Tricky! It's a joy to play and a bitch to master.

I have played Soul Reaver 2 and have been rather unimpressed with it, but I think that's just because I'm not a fan of the series. I found it too dull and repetitive... hack, slash, hack, slash, run, morph to other realm, repeat.

Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter (and their forthcoming sequels) and Sly Raccoon are good buys as well if you like action adventures.

Don't forget you have the whole of the PSOne back catalogue as well if you haven't already got one of the little 32-bit machines.

infoxicated
20th May 2003, 08:49 AM
Right out of the box you should have: Burnout 2 : best arcade racer ever - so good, so fast - shunts NFS:HP2 off the track completely :)
GTA 3 : (get Vice City if you like this, as '3 is a much better storyline and has more feel)
TimeSplitters 2 : sure, a mouse and keyboard is better, but you really would be missing out if you didn't check this one out. Great immersion and fantastic graphics :)
Baldurs Gate : Dark Alliance - cracking adventure, outstanding graphics - should find it in a bargain bin as it's over a year old.
Wipeout Fusion : get it for a look see - you should definately find this in a bargain bin.
Ratchet & Clank : Superb graphics and genuinely amusing characters :)
Formula One 2003 : not actually out until June, but it's simply the best F1 simulation ever, anywhere - and I'm not just saying that because it's ours! If you want a racing game with a serious side then this is the one to get - ignore the dull graphical showcase that is GT3.One I cant agree with are Silent Hill 2 - the dark, flickery camera work gets tired early and it just doesn't have the same kind of quality as Resident Evil 2 (even if the graphics are good).

Oh... and if I was buying a PS2 I'd be waiting until the new version comes out with improved DVD playback & IR + remote control in the box. Not sure if it's out in Europe until late summer, though... (I'm going to get one when it comes out :D)

AmishRobot
20th May 2003, 10:41 AM
Soul Reaver 2 is short, but if you enjoy the series it's worth the lower price you can probably find it for now.

MGS2 is incredibly short, but it will feel like an eternity when your character is arguing with his girlfriend over how his apartment is furnished in unskippable cut-scenes (no joke!).

GTA3 is better than Vice City. The characters are more interesting, the city is much more fun to drive around in, and the missions are overall more fun.

infoxicated
20th May 2003, 11:08 AM
Ah!

How could I forget to recommend Ace Combat 4!

Probably the best put together game since Wipeout 3 - simply fantastic graphics, great tension building music, and 20 varying missions with a cool story taking place in the background.

This is a must have :)

xEik
20th May 2003, 12:24 PM
Yes I got Ace Combat 3. AC 4 would be a must even without Infoxx's recomendation.

About Jak&Daxter and Ratchet&Clank, in what way are they similar to Crash Bandicoot games? I own CB Warped (it came with a cheap WO3 + RR4 + CBW pack) and I got bored of it faster than any other game I've ever played in PSX. :-?

Maybe I'll wait to get MGS2 substance when its price lowers.

GTA3 will probably be in.

And on the new PS2 thing, will it be more expensive? A regular PS2 costs now 199 euros and I'm not too willing to wait and then have to pay extra for some capabilities I may not be using.

I'm looking forward Starcraft:Ghost release as well. I love the original strategy game for PC.

I forgot to ask about this. Which game sites do you recommend for reading reviews? I mean I hate those sites that give a note based solely in the hype surrounding a game or the fame of the developpers.

foxfoil
20th May 2003, 12:32 PM
mmh i look at :
www.gamespot.com
www.ign.com

and if you can read french :
www.gamekult.com

if you like adventure games. MAXIMO is really good to (especially if you're a Ghouls and Ghost Fan !!!) and its reduced.
and there's also splinter cell (but i think the PC version is better)

i think you probably have enough choice to spend enough money now... Have Fun ;)

Bob Todd
20th May 2003, 12:52 PM
Xeik, for one thing, Crash 3 is one of the weakest ones... 2 and 4 are much better. Ratchet and Jak are way better than all the Crashes put together! Jak is very short though... it only takes a few days to do, but it's platinum now and it's still fun even when you've completed it.
Ratchet can be quite frustrating at times due to lack of checkpoints, but it is damningly good fun that lasts a good while, especilally if you're trying to save up for the RYNO gun.

xEik
20th May 2003, 12:53 PM
Mais oui!
In fact I've been studying in France since August. It wouldn't say much good of me if I couldn't read French after all these 8 months. ;)

Vasudeva
20th May 2003, 01:38 PM
Greetings,

I prefer Vice City over GTA3. I'm very fond of the eighties. So xEik, if you also have a strange thing for the decade of your youth (my childhood :)) please do get this game! You won't regret it.

V.

Bob Todd
20th May 2003, 01:47 PM
Grrrr...* really does not like IGN*

xEik
20th May 2003, 02:02 PM
So xEik, if you also have a strange thing for the decade of your youth...
:o I was born in 1980. I count the eighties as my childhood. ;) But its music never appealed to me too much.

Does my writting look like that of an old person? :-?

Vasudeva
20th May 2003, 03:31 PM
No, but if you *were* really older and I had mistaken you for a younger person it would be more insulting, I reckoned. So I took the least damaging guess :D.

I was born in '83, by the way ;).

V.

Lance
20th May 2003, 05:23 PM
i mostly despised the pop music of my youth; i listened to symphonies and concertos instead

jmoid
20th May 2003, 07:23 PM
Three that haven't been mentioned...

Dropship: This is a great flight / combat game. Really cool flight simulation and well designed missions, plus a few "on-rails" and driving sections to spice things up. Very highly recommended, and I'm sure you'll dig it if you like the Ace Combat games. You might have to shop around to find a reasonably priced 2nd hand copy though.

Gitaroo Man: Don't know if you like rythm/action games, but if you do this is a killer. The music's as good as Parappa and the play system is tricky but ingenious. This seems to be around 15 GBP in the UK 2nd hand.

Armored Core 2: This is a love it / hate it game for certain, but those who love it really love it. The credit / upgrade system inbetween battles makes it almost like Gran Tourismo with giant mecha, and the battles themselves are tons of high explosive fun. With a PAL release of AC3 on the way this shouldn't be too expensive to pick up.

I second the reccomedations for Burnout 2 and TimeSplitters 2, also I've only played Ico briefly but I really liked it, and MGS2, when you aren't watching immense cut-scenes, is excellent.

One thing about Rez - almost everyone in the world disagrees with me but I found the actual gameplay a bit dull...

for game reviews I'd try http://www.gamefaqs.com . The reviews there are written by fans of the games in question, so although you won't find much critiscism you'll at least see what people like about the games they're writing about.

Task
20th May 2003, 10:39 PM
There was a game magazine I was reading, and in the awards section there was "Ico award - Given, as usual, to Ico. We will continue to give out this award till you buy the damn game".

Nearly laughed my arse off, I did.

Fusion is good for the AG League. After you're done that, there's a bit of slogging to open up the Zone, and from there you can give up on Zone Mode. 8 )

I really wouldn't suggest many other games, most just aren't worth it, But Ico (for being so Ico) and Fusion (for being WO) are my favourites.

Wiseman
21st May 2003, 07:27 AM
That's why I'd appreciate your opinions on which games I should definitely buy and which ones should I stay away from.

Well, since everyone else is telling you which one's to buy, I will name some that I think you should stay away from.

Wiseman's List o' Stinko

1)Oni
Since you mentioned this, I'm going to put it at the top of my list. I don't care if it was made by Bungie, this game is one poorly concieved, rushed, bland peice of garbage. Hell, my local EB can't even sell it at $4.99 it's so bad. And that copies been sitting there for over a year!

2)Max Payne
The PS2 version of this game SUCKS, it is nothing compared to the PC and X-Box versions.

3)Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
Yes, this game is a true nightmare, a bad, buggy and unfinished one. I don't care what your thoughts are on the other Alone in the Dark's, avoid this one at all costs.

4)Anything that has "Army Men" written on it.
No comment.

5)Robotech: Battlecry
No variety + no atmosphere = yawnfest to the extreme for me!

6)Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Kain is back! Too bad he now sucks ass instead of blood. (O.K., O.K., so Kain still rocks, but this game sure doesn't!)

7)Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
The people who made the Crash's for the PSX are working on the Jak and Daxtar series now, and with a different team comes a boring, uninspired game.

8)Anything that's made by Sqaure that isn't an RPG
This means Driving Emotion Type S, The Bouncer, etc.

9)Dead to Rights
A total Max Payne rip-off. And it's no where near as good either.

10)Extermination
Some survival horror wannabe that came out in the early days of the PS2. It was pretty bad.

11)RHL (also known as Run Like Hell)
Just do yourself a favor and Run Like Hell... away from this game.

12)Turok: Evolution
This game has a very unique feature. It's the only game I think of where you actually don't have to do anything in a level, as the enemies must think the game is so bad, that they can't take it anymore and commit mass suicide before you ever have to do anything. Seriously, I watched in amazement as enemy dinosuar birds literally flew into the sides of cliffs and fell to their doom.... it's almost comical even though it doesn't mean to be.

13)Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
Horrible X-Box game with good graphics. Take it to the PS2, and well, you get the idea.

lunar
21st May 2003, 10:29 AM
I`ve had a PS2 for 18 months and bought very few games. Reason: because most of them have been so damned good they`ve kept me busy for months each.

SSX Tricky: my first PS2 game and still the best I`ve played. Totally addictive and very challenging to pursue high showoff scores, and also great as a party/multiplayer game. Its a game you`ll still play after you`ve completed it, especially if you start competing with others for scores. Great way to wow people with your new console. Best of all perhaps, the PS2 version is better than the X-Box. Also the X-Box controller doesn`t suit the game.

Wipeout Fusion: if you get the bug with zone mode it will take over your gaming-life, if not its still worth experiencing. There are also some great moments in the AG Leagues when you discover new courses and jumps, though you will tire of it fairly soon. Worth buying for £20 and completes the wipeout collection of course. Its a big game to finish it all.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2: If you like footy games don`t bother with that FIFA crap. This game is deep. Either wait for PES3 later this year, or get PES1 or PES2 at a low price, they`re both fantastic solo and multiplayer games, with great replay value.

Frequency: now that the sequel is out this should be available cheaply. Its a great experience and very challenging. It also produces a very wipeout-like zen feeling at times, when everything is going right and you don`t feel like you`re trying at all.

GTA3: Great, but not as great as the games above IMO. Haven`t played VIce City.

DO NOT TOUCH: Toca Race Driver. A very stinky follow up to a great games series.

Anyway, if you buy wisely its possible to get great value for money from your PS2. Its the best console I`ve had in that respect.

enjoy

:D

Piranha Advancements
21st May 2003, 04:29 PM
Too many things to read.Anyways,if I were you,I'd say skip Tenchu 3.The first one is very good,second is considerably weaker but has the stage edit which is a bonus but 3...easy,easy,easy.

But here's mine.

Grand Theft Auto:Vice City - Because you have more vehicles,more missions,more things to do.

Zone of Enders:2nd Runner - Very fun shooter,cool bosses,one of the best video game theme song in Beyond The Bounds.

Dynasty Warriors 4 - Just an upgrade than the previous installments but if you want to jump in,this is the one.

Armored Core 3 - Dunno if you're into mech-combats but it's fun tinkering with the parts.Save your best mech and you can data transfer to the upcoming Armored Core:Silent Line in August with online capabilities.

Midnight Club 2 - This beats Need For Speed:HP for best racing game for the PS2.Great soundtracks too.

Devil May Cry 2 - This or DMC 1? DMC 2 is rather easy but still a fun action game nonetheless.

Pro Evo Soccer 2 - Well,you don't like sports gamer but hey,best soccer game around.

FFX International - Laugh as the US gamers don't even get the Ribbon abilities and then some in this version.Cry as you get whipped by Penance,only found in International.

[Kingdom Hearts[/b] - Donald,Goofy,100 Acre Woods gang,Yuffie,Cloud,Squall,Selph..what more can you ask?

Xenosaga Ep 1 - Story/character driven RPG and like Gears,ladened with religious mumbo-jumbo.Well-structured,lots of mini-games but lacks a solid soundtrack.

Baldurs gate:Dark Alliance - I think Fox mentioned this and yes,it's a great game.But just wait for the sequel coming out late this year..if there are no delays.

Twisted Metal Black - No colors anymore I want to paint it black...Tough as nails,damn best vehicular combat game for the PS2.

MGS 2:Substance - Guess if you're a fan of the first one,then this version which has Snake Tales,the skateboarding mini-game etc is well worth the money.Comes with the much hated Raiden.

Hope that's good enough for ya.

infoxicated
21st May 2003, 07:59 PM
Midnight Club 2 - This beats Need For Speed:HP for best racing game for the PS2.Great soundtracks too.I have NFS: HP2 and I can safely say that Burnout 2 beats it hands down for best arcade racer on the PS2! :lol:

Depends how you like your racing game, I guess, but Midnight Club 2 has serious AI catch-up issues. I don't think it's in the same league of terrible as ToCA Race Driver, but it's very artificial all the same...

lunar
22nd May 2003, 05:26 PM
Xeik, sorry, just noticed you said you don`t like sports games. Oh well!! My comments about the wonder of the PES series stand anyway.

A great gaming site is www.gamerankings.com

finds sites that see past the corporate BS, blackmail and backhanders, as well as the usual suspects and links to reader reviews and fansites.

It has links to virtually every review ever written about every game ever. Well not quite but its v.good.

Piranha Advancements
22nd May 2003, 05:53 PM
Me too Fox.I have Need For Speed:HP and fully completed it.It's real good yeah,good soundtrack and stuff but kinda linear tracks and even with the shortcuts,doesnt make much difference with the AI catch-ups.

Catch-up issues in MC2? Geez,the World Champ races are tough as nails esp. Tokyo,so much that you wished Tokyo will just explode in real life.Songs come in more variety,there's at least driver interaction when racing even though they're cursing you most the time but hey,all the more to kick their ass.Plus it has more modes of play and online support so relayability is very high.

But who knows,maybe the upcoming Need For Speed:Underground will be the better one? Havent played Burnout 1/ 2 though so cant do an opinion on that.

Harvai
24th May 2003, 04:32 PM
Definately get SSX Tricky or the first SSX( picked it up at Kmart for AUS$20-bargain)
possibly one of the best games for PS2: so dman addictive!

Gran Turismo 3 is also a good buy, Brilliant Game!

xEik
29th May 2003, 01:00 PM
I have another question for our French wipers (or whoever is able to answer it). Is a PAL Playstation2 exactly the same system as a SECAM Playstation2?

infoxicated
29th May 2003, 02:17 PM
Gran Turismo 3 is also a good buy, Brilliant Game!
You're taking the mickey, surely?! :o

Gran Tourismo 3 is an insult to anyone who plays racing games! :lol:

My only regret with this game is that I waited a month before trading it in and I only got about two thirds of the cost back. :evil:

AmishRobot
29th May 2003, 10:48 PM
Gran Tourismo 3 is an insult to anyone who plays racing games! :lol:

C'mon! Tell us how you really feel! :D

I played a demo of Gran Turismo 3 in a shop for about four minutes, until it occured to me that time was gone forever, and I gained nothing from it.

The best racing game I played on PS2 before getting rid of it was Burnout 2. I'll be honest, though, and say that every Gran Turismo game has felt to me like going to work at McDonald's. The sense of dread as you boot up/clock in... the overwhelming contempt for humanity that creeps as you flip burgers/earn licenses....

Lance
29th May 2003, 11:30 PM
oh, hey now! i lOved the original GT. it was the first game i played in other than arcade mode, and it was because of it that i started playing WO3 saving to the memory card. so i owe GT a lOt! there had to be something good about GT or it would never have got me playing games in longterm championship modes. granted, from what i've heard, GT3 A-spec for the PS2 does not advance the game beyond the original PSX game, just gives it high-power graphics

lunar
30th May 2003, 12:10 AM
:lol: couldn`t be put better, Amish. The contempt/despair for humanity is complete when you consider that GT games are much more popular than wipeout ones. :-?

xEik
30th May 2003, 07:39 AM
None of the French wipers has an answer for my previous question? :-?

FoxZero
30th May 2003, 09:17 AM
the best thing in the original gran turismo was racing around the two amateur gt classes with a slightly overpowered car as your first car (mine was a used supra turbo), and doing it repeatedly until you have enough money to buy a racing-class GTO or Supra or Impreza or whatever. you can't do it in the later gts which is why i dont like gt2 or 3 only the first.

also, for the most part the license tests in gt were fairly easy if you play racing games a lot. one or two tries and i would win all except for the last one with the viper i spun that a few times.

i must say though, the arcade mode gt is rather lacking compared to many of the other arcade racers out there. sorta seems like its just thrown in for bragging rights (like the massive/excessive amount of cars).

the worst thing about gt is that it makes me think i know everything about the cars and that i can drive them as well as i do in the game :roll:

Lance
30th May 2003, 12:21 PM
:D
yeah, one of the cars i owned in GT is a 946 horsepower beast that i suspect might be a little tricky to drive in real life

zargz
30th May 2003, 04:30 PM
Ph class: I'd sugest 'toca driver' ! 8)

Task
30th May 2003, 05:43 PM
I have another question for our French wipers (or whoever is able to answer it). Is a PAL Playstation2 exactly the same system as a SECAM Playstation2?

I'm not French xEik (far from it!) but what I can tell you is that PAL is NOT SECAM. PAL, NTSC, SECAM, they're all totally incompatable signal standards.
However, the signals do carry the same properties, just different information.
If all your looking for is signal properties, then...
http://www.high-techproductions.com/pal,ntsc.htm

rhys
30th May 2003, 05:54 PM
SSX tricky is a must get... I know snowboarding is a sport but i dont like sports games either and ssx is one of my favourites :D

Foxfoils list if good.

Azrael
31st May 2003, 01:15 AM
Burnout 2 is a great buy i havent actually bought it yet but hired it out the other day and cant imagine it getting old very quick. It is one of the most entertaining arcade racers i've ever played and kicks gts arse. especially in two player.

Harvai
15th June 2003, 10:27 AM
you all seem to forget that GT3 is a simulation game, and that it takes time and patience to get good at it. (trust me, i've had plenty. 8) ).

If you want a good arcade racer, try Burnout 2 or Midnight Club 2 - MC2 offers flash cars and the chance to use N20-nothing more, nothing less (besides Capture The Flag - with cars!)

foxfoil
15th June 2003, 02:26 PM
the truth is that the europeen playstation 2 is the same everywhere. even though officially france uses SECAM, you need a PAL television to be able to play on your playstation 2. the "french" playstation 2 is PAL, period :)