PDA

View Full Version : 2012-07-24: IMPORTANT - A reminder about images

Hellfire_WZ
24th July 2012, 12:27 AM
Some of you seem to be forgetting the guideline on image posting, so I'll post it here to make sure it's in black and white

You may only post images up to a maximum 50k total in one post. That could be one single image, or a series of images, but in either case they may not total more than 50k per post.

For example, posting three images of 15k each is fine as the total is 45k. However, posting three images of 49k each is not as that is a total of 147k.

If you wish to post a series of large images, use the attachment system on the forum or post them as links.

I've given plenty of warnings about this now. Now you are all aware of this, any breach of this guideline will be an automatic infraction.

If you believe a topic to be a special case where breaking the 50k limit is unavoidable, please contact me

vincoof
25th July 2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the reminder.

If you wish to post a series of large images, use the attachment system on the forum or post them as links.
Is there a limit on the size of attachments ? Be it a technical limitation (i.e. forums can't store more than n bytes per file) or a recommended limitation (i.e. please don't post pictures so big that most viewers will wait a lot of time before opening the attachment)

Hellfire_WZ
25th July 2012, 10:06 AM
If you open the attachments window you'll see a little blue question mark in the top right. That will tell you the maximum file sizes allowed for each file type. Attachment thumbnails for images are only around 3k each so unless you post about 15 attachments in one post you shouldn't have a problem.

vincoof
25th July 2012, 01:24 PM
If you open the attachments window you'll see a little blue question mark in the top right.Didn't know this button was there, thanks again !

I just inspected this post with a dozen of attachments (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?8897-Extracting-WipEout-3D-models&p=217981#post217981) I wrote recently (and updating from time to time) and realized I didn't respect the 50k size even though I opted for thumbnails since the beginning. Does this mean I will get an infringement ? What would you recommend me to do ?

In the short run I might crop some pictures (especially the Blender UI which is not really useful and hurts the compression badly) but the topic is meant to be edited and growing over time, in the long run I don't know if I'll be able to keep the post under 50k even with cropped thumbnails. And I'd rather not remove pictures since they all serve a specific purpose.

Hellfire_WZ
25th July 2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that topic could be considered a special case. I'll edit the topic title to state that large images are allowed. Try to keep it to attachments if you can though, it'll make the whole thing easier to read

vincoof
25th July 2012, 02:25 PM
I cropped images where suited and managed to get as low as 60k, down from 162k.

To do even lower I would upload two versions of every image, one for the full image (as usual) and one for a dirty thumbnail (max compression) and use forum code to make sure that clicking on the thumbnail opens the full image. But that would be a terrible idea for many reasons (including waste of disk space on the forum server) so I think I'll stick to the current solution, i.e. cropping UIs and always use attachment thumbnails.

blackwiggle
26th July 2012, 03:26 PM
I think a "HOW TO REDUCE A PICTURE FILE SIZE" before posting, sticky/tutorial might be in order if the limitations are going to remain the same.

Only asking, as from previous experience I thought I had sized images according to forum dictates, only to find Lance giving me hell when some minor technical screw up on my behalf caused me to get a infraction notice.

Maybe some sort of in built pre posting warning/ block could be implemented, so if you attempted to post a file that is too big you would keep getting a "Unable to post" alert until it for-filled the forums prerequisites.

Then NO infraction notices would need to be sent, saving moderation time, and noses getting out of joint as has been the situation on previous occasions.

Lance
30th July 2012, 11:31 PM
The last time I gave an infraction notice was a vEry long time ago. :)

vincoof
31st July 2012, 09:00 AM
The last time I gave an infraction notice was a vEry long time ago. :)
No offense intended, but "vEry long time ago" written by Lance is a bit scary. Dinosaurs still existed IIRC ?

Lance
1st August 2012, 01:09 AM
No, they hadn't started yet. ;)

infoxicated
2nd August 2012, 10:13 AM
Blackwiggle, that wouldn't work.

There's no way of determining the size of an inline image.

If people would just use the attachment system then they have nothing to worry about.

When they register they get sent the forum guidelines and they're told to pay particular attention to the image size limits and encouraged to use the attachment system.

When they first visit the forum they are sent an automated PM reminding them of the guidelines and to pay particular attention to the image size limits and encouraged to use the attachment system.

At the top of every forum they can find the forum guidelines.

So, if by that point, folk haven't bothered to read, understand and follow the guidelines they deserve an infraction.