PDA

View Full Version : Getting Frustrated

XoPachi
17th April 2012, 09:55 AM
Everyone says F-Zero GX is the hardest racing game. No, isn't...
I didn't realize until I completed the campaign that 2048 is damn near impossible to master. I suck at all races on A and A+ except for Sol and I refuse to use pilot assist. I really don't think I could get better at this. PulsE was a way easier game. Anyone else having trouble, too?

.....I hate Altima.

kaori
17th April 2012, 11:20 AM
Play some speed laps in A-class if you have unlocked them, with global ghosts, and see how people play, it's a good school to learn the game ;)

Temet
17th April 2012, 12:14 PM
And use Feisar or AG-S Speed ;)

mangaroo
17th April 2012, 12:49 PM
If you're not taking a line correctly and even the air brake won't do it, let go of accelerate. It sharply slows you down and can help when navigating tricky corners till you can take it at full speed with air brakes. Definitely play speed laps and check out the various ghosts as kaori said, and as Temet says there are some drastically different ships to chose from that can make a lot of difference.

stin
17th April 2012, 01:02 PM
If you get fishy prototype?, good luck ;)

stevie:)

XoPachi
17th April 2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks! That sounds like a great tip. I actually do that all the time in GX. I never thought I could use that tactic here. My biggest problem is this strange turning some of the ships have, Most of AGS being culprit numero uno. It likes to sort of drift around corners. It feels like it's putting all of his weight in the tail of the craft making turning awkward for me. I dropped him and picked up Auricom and Feisar A. As for speed laps, I do practice there a lot and it doesn't seem to help. I'll keep practicing, though. There's no magic to getting better. However, I'm not watching any ghosts. I'd rather get better on my own. Plus, I'll just get increasingly more frustrated seeing skills I don't have yet.

JABBERJAW
17th April 2012, 01:07 PM
The agility ships do not feel like wipeout, they are very bizarre. The speed ship ag sys is best, but I think feisar speed feels better

XoPachi
17th April 2012, 01:12 PM
It's just AGS and Pir-hana I can't freaking use. Pir-hana is WORSE though. I cannot turn for the life of me!

mangaroo
17th April 2012, 03:49 PM
Well it does have the lowest handling and fastest speed. At A speed and faster I rarely use it for anything other than a speed lap just because I'll be brushing sides much more than say with feisar or ag. Haven't got the auricom ones yet, looking forward to that. The agility ships are less airy and more responsive...AGS is the most noticeable case but I love it for zone mode. Just unlocked the prototype for AGS, it's nuts but the double barrel roll is a neat touch.

I know I said try letting go of accelerate sometimes but later on & not with Pirhana:

Try not pressing air brakes at all on some corners or just slight taps+sideshift when in the right position you'll find you can take a lot of the corners with less adjustments. If you hit a boost and are headed for the wall, let go of acceleration briefly and you'll lose most of the sideways momentum.

Feisar is a good standard ship but I find myself swaying left and right so much more with it, sort of bouncing like a yoyo. Quirex speed isn't so bad but a little stiff. Quite curious what Auricom is like.

XoPachi
17th April 2012, 07:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Auricom is the most practical. Agility anyway. It just seems to have the most basic turning next to AGS fighter which I just used today.

Cerium
18th April 2012, 12:52 AM
It's just AGS and Pir-hana I can't freaking use. Pir-hana is WORSE though. I cannot turn for the life of me!

Hah, I'm the exact opposite -- I can't use anything but Pir-hana. Everything else turns way too fast and I end up doing almost 90 degree turns into the nearest wall whenever I try to make slight adjustments. Even in Pir-hana, I find myself oversteering in this game. Capital Reach is one of my worst tracks because of all the micro-turning you need to do in that long tunnel. I've yet to not oversteer my way into a wall or two through that, even on B class. :(

Anyway, my advice to you is not force yourself to use one ship or another. Find one that "feels right" to you and learn the tracks with it. Once you know the lines well enough, transitioning between ships just takes a little bit of adjustment to the new handling. :D

XoPachi
18th April 2012, 05:40 PM
I can't learn to turn fast enough with Pir-hana and it's a massacre on B^. I find it near impossible to make smooth skillcuts. Case in point, the 90 degree turn at the Stadium. Can't to it. :I

And I can't stick with a ship because certain tracks are very situational. I can't use AGS on technical tracks because I lose control due to it's awkward tail swinging turns. Feisar is more sensitive than the ears of a Fennec fox. And Qirex tends to not stop turning. AGS fighter is actually something I'm working on because it stops turning on a dime and it stops straight. It's just slow and not ideal for the super technical tracks. Not because of turning, but because if I get hit in say...ALTIMA I'm going to have a hard time catching up considering how hard that godforsaken track is. But, these are just me. I'm not speaking for official descriptions or anything. I have to learn multiple ships for multiple tracks except Sol. Sol is easy.

Mu5
19th April 2012, 08:06 AM
If you are meaning the 180 degree turn at the stadium in Piranha :) ...

Just before the turn head to the right side of the track to take it wide as possible. Try to apex clip it as close as possible with full air brake. Then when you are coming out of the turn - double tap / left side shift - this should help you avoid clipping the barrier on the right :+

sp1cychick3n
4th May 2012, 06:15 PM
The ship's handling in this game feels so different than the rest of the wipeout games that it's ridiculous. The more I play it, the more I dislike it. I'm so close to trading it. So damn close.

And how do you get global hosts to appear?

kaori
4th May 2012, 09:53 PM
WipEout Pure and WipEout Pulse feel very different too, is this a good reason for terming ridiculous one of this two games ?

sp1cychick3n
4th May 2012, 11:58 PM
No, I did not have this "issue" with Pure or Pulse or with any other games (I've played them all). This just feels bloody different and I cannot get over it. I go into the game with high hopes, but I quit feeling dejected. Sure, Pure and Pulse might have been different but they stuck with me and I put countless hours into them. This is just...I don't know - I really cannot describe it well. I'm just really disappointed and that surprises me, since I bloody love the series.

mangaroo
5th May 2012, 05:30 AM
I think most of us are unsure why you would dislike it so much as well as it was pretty easy to love on this end (minus the racebox).

I did take quite a long break from HD though, and I can imagine it's annoying when the physics up and change on you but give it time I say, definitely don't trade it in, that's nuts.

amplificated
5th May 2012, 06:15 PM
I initially thought I'd get used to the new handling, but the more I've played it, the more it seems off to me. I don't like it at all, either. Coming from HD it's not just limited, it feels outright restrictive - and that there's nothing to gain from this new handling model.

It's just bad handling IMO.

I've said this before, but mixed with the collision detection, frequently broken physics, and invisible "ECS cages" (as some like to think of the problem as) in many areas cutting the fastest path through the track off; playing the game has truly become an exercise in frustration.

I get that some people like it, I just don't see how they could like it so much as to defend it from criticism.

As for giving it time, that's exactly what I have done. It's not so bad in bursts - but playing for more than a few minutes sees my fun factor dive into frustration at the broken gameplay.

This is why I was so concerned about any physics change in HD to anything remotely in the direction of 2048 - it's a step in a very terrible direction, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

sp1cychick3n
6th May 2012, 02:39 AM
As for giving it time, that's exactly what I have done. It's not so bad in bursts - but playing for more than a few minutes sees my fun factor dive into frustration at the broken gameplay.

I feel the same way. I can play it for half and hour or an hour tops. But anything beyond that becomes a chore.

Anyway, I decided to give this game another chance. I will keep it for now and see how it goes. Recently got done playing it for a bit and it was not that bad (but there were definitely some frustrating moments). I noticed that the ships handling rating directly correlates to how sensitive the analog nub is. For instance, after unlocking Feisar agility and taking it on the lap, I noticed that the sensitivity was borderline ridiculous. I could not drag the nub to race; I had to nudge it every time I had to adjust my direction so that the ship didn't go out of control.

Also, is anyone having issue with item pickups? You have to be so close to the pads to get items. Sometimes, even when I go over it, it does not grant me items.

And lastly, I just want to know how you get ghosts to appear. Does it have to do with the near application? Thanks in advance. I'm giving this game another chance - hopefully it works out this time.

mangaroo
6th May 2012, 03:06 AM
I'm glad your keeping it at least, hopefully even more time will change things >] I can see you are frustrated with it amp but not sure what to say really other than I can still enjoy the challenge it gives us and see it mainly as slightly different iteration, like the previous titles. Still think it is more similar to HD than Pure was.

I've mainly used and still use the d-pads but damn, yes it is so sensitive with the vita. The nubs aren't as easy to control so nudges are the safer choice sometimes, as opposed to over steering.

The trigger for pickups do seem slightly smaller then the speedpads but I'm not entirely certain to be honest. Not sure how it compares to HD, it's been too long since I've played to tell.
In combat, if you've gone over the weapon pickup already, you need to go to a different one first to be able to use it.

For ghosts, if you are offline, you can race against your best lap or sometimes if you can get the near challenges to show up. For near, a friend/neighbour has to upload a ghost time through near that you download through the near app as a "discovery / game good". For other ghosts, press start while in-game (racing) and there is a ghost option on the left. Press it and you can cycle through No ghost, your best time, (if you are online then also friend challenges (separate from ghosts) and also global challenge - which updates the ghost as you improve your lap).

rego
6th May 2012, 07:15 PM
I initially thought I'd get used to the new handling, but the more I've played it, the more it seems off to me. I don't like it at all, either. Coming from HD it's not just limited, it feels outright restrictive - and that there's nothing to gain from this new handling model.

It's just bad handling IMO.

I've said this before, but mixed with the collision detection, frequently broken physics, and invisible "ECS cages" (as some like to think of the problem as) in many areas cutting the fastest path through the track off; playing the game has truly become an exercise in frustration.

I get that some people like it, I just don't see how they could like it so much as to defend it from criticism.

This is why I was so concerned about any physics change in HD to anything remotely in the direction of 2048 - it's a step in a very terrible direction, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

this pretty much summed up my thoughts on 2048. its just not as fun as previous titles. i find myself picking it up all the time only to stop playing it a few minutes later.

i dont have any troubles adjusting to the new(er) handling of the game (ive completed/elited everything including the a+ challenges) .....its just not fun to play

sp1cychick3n
8th May 2012, 01:48 AM
Good Lord, the combat mode in abysmal in this game. Just when I was starting to actually like the game, I go into the combat mode and...puke. Just flat out disgusting.

goddessloviatar
14th May 2012, 06:10 PM
Still not a fan of the "handling" - it seems like the intent was to make the craft slide more but this doesn't seem to work as well as previous games. I've always found it most satisfying to learn how to cope with the less agile craft, taking a corner way too early then finding the track aligning itself perfectly in front of you as you exit the corner was ace. I think making the tracks wider has lost a lot of that satisfying feeling, it's like flying round a car park.
Second annoyance for me is that width- seeing as most of the tracks are a dark grey (with way too much reflection) I find myself hitting walls I can't see coming.
Third and most irritating is the sound- since when have jet engines made an awful f1 car noise? And the THUMP whenever the craft so much as thinks about touching the floor... I thought these things were supposed to float?
Add in the mostly unintelligible voice telling you what weapon you have and it's just noise...
I bought a vita for this game alone, I could have achieved the same effect by getting the kids to bang saucepans and scream at me whilst one of them runs off with my wallet...