PDA

View Full Version : What about the 'competitors' of WipEout

Cyberio
16th April 2012, 09:45 PM
Even if the AG futuristic racing hasn't the same number of titles like the 'normal' arcade racing games, as you know, WipEout is not the only one on this genre.

Maybe some of you are thinking about F-Zero, but my question is not only for the Nintendo saga. I remember that SW: Episode I Racer (i remembered now when i was reading the WHD 2.50 patch thread), i remember some old school classic: Tunnel B-1 (which i don't remember if it was AG racing, or just a futuristic shooter), and the last game i saw from this genre, which is also in PS3: Fatal Inertia, quite similar to WipEout. Those were good games, not in the line of W'O", but good ones anyway.

I played F-Zero X too, for Nintendo 64. Very good, but still, i didn't like it so much as WipEout. It was the only F-Zero i played, i want to play the most liked, which was F-Zero GX, everybody loves it, at the point of loving it more that WipEout.

Well, i want to ask W'O" lovers about these (and other) sagas, which game, as a W'O" fan i will definitely like, and all that stuff.

Amorbis
18th April 2012, 03:01 PM
If you have a Gamecube or Wii I'd recommend getting F-Zero GX. I find it more difficult than any WipEout game, mainly due to the tight physics and drift mechanics, but it provides a good challenge. The Extreme-G games aren't anti-gravity racers but do provide decent futuristic racing. If you can, get Extreme-G III. III has the best gameplay and music of the series, much better than XGRA or the N64 games.

If you have a Wii you can get FAST as a download, which is very similar to WipEout with ship design and handling. It does feel a bit soulless though, more of a tech demo than a game. I wouldn't rush off and buy a Wii just for FAST, but as a curiosity it's worth it if you can get some cheap Wii points.

Another futuristic racer is Jacques Villeneuve's Racing Vision for PS2, which was a let down considering it was supposedly designed by a F1 world champion. You control clunky future cars on small street circuits going really fast on a straight, then braking to go down silly tight corners. I wouldn't bother with this one, I purchased it because it was cheap and watched some French people on YouTube who found the game funny.

If you search around you can find a few future racers, but not all of them have the same standard as WipEout or F-Zero.

Mu5
18th April 2012, 03:16 PM
@Cyberio: You should check out Quantum Redshift (on Xbox) and Rollcage (Windows/PS1). They rocked back in the day :D :+

XoPachi
18th April 2012, 05:26 PM
You have got to play GX. That is my favorite racing game of all time. The physics are so malleable! Shift boosting, MT, snaking, even flying if you transcend humanity! The weight system was much better than other racers too. It wasn't just light, medium, heavy. It actually had a placement of where the ship is heaviest causing each to preform differently. Black Bull for example has more weight in the back because of it's engines and the cockpit "tower" it has so it has a skewed center of gravity. This allows it to snake better than anyone else making it top tier. Pro players like CrazyGameNerd can reach speeds of up to 5500 km/h. 2200 is what normal players usually call fast. Once you learn these techniques the somewhat difficult story and master mode can be smoked in one shot. All of at a glorious framerate that never drops. Nintendo did good letting Sega work their fancy arcade magic on their beloved racer.

WipEout still has a more professional feel, but I prefer GX's belligerent and barbaric style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SoM28OcRso&list=PLEA4B70680EC30A47&index=3&feature=plpp_video shift boosting at its finest! :D

JABBERJAW
19th April 2012, 12:59 AM
Episode racer 1 has quite similar physics to the older wipeout games, but multiplayer was garbage

Gx was cool until I found riding walls was faster sometimes, much faster, some tracks you didn't even have to be on the track, and snaking ( ewww). I didn't want to have to wiggle the controller to go faster, makes less since than brs :)