PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 5

trackripper
27th February 2012, 06:58 PM
There must be people who play this here. Must be. :P

Anyway, I'm hooked, and looking for people to play, trade, and tune cars with. :)

FirstDave
27th February 2012, 08:09 PM
Yeh me! add me Firstdave.If your getting into it you should check out the PSN GT5 forum.Lots of tips, trading, problem solving , setups, cars,, events and more.I try to attend one called SFS (sucker free sunday) held all day and evening.You can pop in and out for as long as you like.Clean racing only but they arent to serious just no deliberate contact but racing contact is fine.They will also give advice if they see that you could be quicker how to correct it and also setup advice on the cars but then you might not need any of that.Its worth a look.

Dave.

JFthebestJan
27th February 2012, 10:41 PM
tell me what car u want , i have almost all good ones (3x red bull X2010 SV edition; 1x red bull X2010; 1x red bull X2010 prototype)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPs2RPnf7U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdeR-2iNOw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHUH3vDw6A&feature=related

trackripper
28th February 2012, 06:32 PM
Hehe, I don't want any cars... well not the overpowered ones I can get with enough money anyway. There's something to be said for waiting and waiting for your wanted car to pop up in the UCD :P

Tuning setups are great to exchange though :)

UB3R~JKP
29th February 2012, 09:50 AM
I've had the game since launch and still play it as I'm a total GT Nut!

Currently 98% complete and level 40 A-spec & B-spec... :+

An amazing game but not as good as previous entries in the series.

infoxicated
29th February 2012, 10:01 AM
I love it, but I barely play it since my son was born because his cot is in the computer room and I can't set up my wheel any more with him in there.

Once you've played with a wheel it's difficult to get the same enjoyment with a pad. I've asked for a Wheelstand Pro for my xmas the last two years and haven't got one - Santa is obviously a Forza loving douchebag! ;)

UB3R~JKP
29th February 2012, 10:04 AM
Ack Rob, I've always wanted a wheelstand for my DFGT. What wheel have you got? :)

infoxicated
29th February 2012, 10:39 AM
The original Logitech Driving Force GT. It's about 8 years old now, but it still does the trick.

Been with me through thick 'n thin, it has - including a winning online season of GTR-2 against some fairly stiff competition! :D

UB3R~JKP
29th February 2012, 11:49 AM
So you play a lot of sims then?

I've been wanting to try out i-Racing for a fair while. :D

infoxicated
29th February 2012, 12:15 PM
I've always wanted to have a go of iRacing - especially for the IndyCar tracks & cars, but my PC is a bit old now and the reality is that I can't be arsed with PC gaming for the most part. Every week when I was racing in that GTR league someone would have driver issues they'd need to sort before we could begin.

I had a lemon of a GeoForce card at the time, too, and I remember doing an endurance race at Spa with the side off my PC and a desk fan blowing cold air into it so the graphics card wouldn't overheat before the end of the event!

GTR is great and I'm still fond of it, but this is where Gran Turismo on the PS3 fits the bill so nicely - I can just stick the disk in, bolt my wheel to the table and within a few minutes I'm bumping over kerbs at some of the best race tracks in the world. No driver updates, no hassle. :)

UB3R~JKP
29th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that is the benefit of Gran Turismo. :+ I just wish they would implement set Online events like they had in prologue and then I'd never stop playing. Online racing is such a hassle on 5.

At the moment I'm playing SHIFT II but I'll be back to GT5 very soon I think. Shift II is fun but don't think it has the lasting power of GT5. In fact, I guarantee it.

JFthebestJan
29th February 2012, 01:38 PM
I've had the game since launch and still play it as I'm a total GT Nut!

Currently 98% complete and level 40 A-spec & B-spec... :+

An amazing game but not as good as previous entries in the series.

in fact GT5 is the latest platinum i made, and yes it's a great game, but far far away from beeing the game it should be. GT4 is much better in almost all categories. there's still hope for GT6 becoming the ultimate !driving! simulator.

GTR PC is vnice too. have u ever played GrandPrix3/4 from Microprose? greatest simulation series imho

goddessloviatar
29th February 2012, 05:50 PM
I've played it from the outset, anyone can add me if they like. I dont race much above 500hp, much more of a fan of old japanese cars and anything with comic or cute value..

Archon
1st March 2012, 07:44 PM
I've heard a lot of people saying they liked the older GTs better, namely 2 and 3. I owned 3 and still own 4, but would like to buy 5 because it offers the fully-detailed internal view. Why do you say 4 was better? Gran Turismo is the only racing game I enjoy aside from Wipeout, it practically taught me to drive, but I'm not a diehard sim fan. Would you recommend buying GT5 even though I still own GT4?

JFthebestJan
1st March 2012, 08:03 PM
as i said before , it's a great game, but i had more fun in playing GT4. just my point of view

edit: GT4 has more tracks to offer. they (PD) removed some of my favourites such as 'el capitan' / 'citta di aria' / 'seoul' / 'costa di amalfi' / 'beginner track' / 'motorland' and many more.

trackripper
1st March 2012, 08:06 PM
I've heard a lot of people saying they liked the older GTs better, namely 2 and 3. I owned 3 and still own 4, but would like to buy 5 because it offers the fully-detailed internal view. Why do you say 4 was better? Gran Turismo is the only racing game I enjoy aside from Wipeout, it practically taught me to drive, but I'm not a diehard sim fan. Would you recommend buying GT5 even though I still own GT4?

It's worth getting I think, admittedly things like the damage and the menu designs are worse than they could be, but still a solid game with tons of replay value nonetheless.
Plus collecting those 1000+ cars will take some time :P

infoxicated
1st March 2012, 09:18 PM
GT5 is definitely the most complete version of the game in terms of overall package. The AI performance is even marginally believable at times!

What annoys me about it is the menu loading times - choosing the wrong option is just infuriating because of the age it takes to load each menu.

On the track I think it delivers enough to offset the annoying menus, though - especially with a wheel. :)

trackripper
2nd March 2012, 06:54 PM
Things like leaving the Tuning section seperate from GT Auto and the garage... nightmare if you want to tune a different car to the one you're driving. But oh well.

Believe it or not, I saw one of the AI try to overtake the other day, get it wrong and spin :P

slimjim
5th March 2012, 03:43 AM
you can tune things in the garage bit you just cant do weight reductions or Na engine tunes.

apemax
5th March 2012, 09:46 AM
I really like the GT series. I've got 3, 4, 5 and the PSP one. I got 100% on GT4 and i'm fairly close to 100% with GT3. I'm at 97% with GT5. If anyone wants a race they can add me. My PSN id: apemax18

trackripper
11th March 2012, 12:07 PM
TVR Cerbera Speed 12
Oh. My. God.

1000+BHP in a nearly sub 1-tonne road car? Yes please.

MetaKraken
11th March 2012, 02:20 PM
I can only wish PD would announce another Car Packs content for GT5... I can't wait. :D

trackripper
11th March 2012, 05:40 PM
Hope they include a proper drag strip with their next pack too... Not that I'll ever get any DLC though.

FirstDave
4th April 2012, 06:53 PM
A drag strip would be good but we need more rally tracks too.

http://youtu.be/LTgWYFU0cWw
http://youtu.be/QMTRH5ccmfE

Dave.

xtriko
27th April 2012, 08:24 AM
I finally decided to take the only race left for me in GT5... 24h Nurburgring. Here's a 2 lap video after 6h of racing. I'm using my Thrustmaster T500 RS and my Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride -- Judd Race car '05. As you can "see" in the video, its raining (100% wet track) and the visibility is AWESOME (NOT!!!) xD
I tried to run as safe as I could. Really gentle on the gas, brake and steering. No driving aids, expect ABS lv1
Hope you guys enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp9HSAAjx0w

DreamyElf
27th April 2012, 12:58 PM
Excellent driving my friend, although I didn't expect anything less from you! ;)
That's the only race I haven't finished too...
The race cars slide SO much during rain that it's like driving on ice! lol
Kudos for your patience on the right pedal. :)

trackripper
27th April 2012, 05:05 PM
Nice driving xtriko... :P
The endurance ones are hard to do for me, since I don't have that much time, but they'll get done eventually...

I've started a tuning garage on gtplanet.com for those interested, it's still in early stages but there's some progress :)
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=250939

apemax
28th April 2012, 12:33 PM
Very nice driving xtriko. The 24h Nurburgring endurance race is that last endurance race for me to do. I'm currently preparing to do the 24h Nurburgring endurance race. Since they made it so you can save in the middle of endurance races i've been able to do the longer ones. I'm going to check out your tuning thread trackripper as it looks interesting. :)

infoxicated
28th April 2012, 06:52 PM
Good stuff xtriko - very precise driving considering the dark conditions. :+

I'd love to be able to do some of the Endurance races - or even the ones that just take a couple of hours, but I rarely get the time to set up my wheel these days.

One day... :)

Darkdrium777
28th April 2012, 09:58 PM
It's one thing I've always wanted to try, GT with a wheel. I get nervous as hell behind a real wheel so I once thought it'd help give me a feel of some of the controls of a real car before jumping into a real one. Alas I have no wheels, pedals or gearshift. And they aren't cheap.

infoxicated
28th April 2012, 10:19 PM
No, they're not cheap, but with Gran Turismo a wheel pulls away the bland exterior and reveals a sublime handling model that the Dual Shock could never exploit to its full potential.

It really is a different game - I don't even play it now if I can't use my wheel, because it's just nowhere near as rewarding.

If you ever get the chance to pick an old Driving Force Pro up (the one I have - eight years old and still going strong!) then I recommend it. :)

slimjim
29th April 2012, 02:42 AM
i need to get hold of a wheel but i cant afford one of the top ones thats a bit to much for my liking

keg_11
29th April 2012, 04:28 AM
It's one thing I've always wanted to try, GT with a wheel. I get nervous as hell behind a real wheel so I once thought it'd help give me a feel of some of the controls of a real car before jumping into a real one. Alas I have no wheels, pedals or gearshift. And they aren't cheap.

And you can (in a way) help your real driving by putting in the hours on the GT wheel.

e.g. The Logitech G27: If you're using the stick shift, make sure you 'guide' the shifter into the gear, don't force it. It's the same concept with any manual.

xtriko
29th April 2012, 05:57 PM
Thank you for your kind words guys :) you almost made me blush ;P about wheels... I have 5 wheels at home. 1 for sega saturn lol, 1 for the psx and the other 3 are:
1 driving force pro
1 g27
1 thrustmaster t500 rs

If you don't have a great amount of money and want to go wild on gt5, driving force pro is still an Excellent and precise wheel. It may have some issues with the pedals, but there are ways to counter it.

If you have a Good amount of money to spend, go to g27. Nice pedals, nice feeling and plus! Nice gear box! You can pull off really Nice heel and toe techniques like in inicial d series ehehehe

But... If you don't have money issues... Go to the thrustmaster t500 Rs. Unfortanly i didnt have the oportunity to buy the gear box, but even so... I wont choose g27 instead of this awesome toy ;)

Once again, thank you guys for your kind words and for watching my video :)

Does anyone want to arrange a gt5 online session one of these days? :)

We could do several classes like, 400pp, 500pp, 600pp, 700pp and +700pp

Anyone? :)

Cheers!

yeldar2097
29th April 2012, 07:06 PM
Gran Turismo a wheel pulls away the bland exterior and reveals a sublime handling model that the Dual Shock could never exploit to its full potential.
It really is a different game - I don't even play it now if I can't use my wheel, because it's just nowhere near as rewarding.

o_O. I haven't played with a wheel since GT...3? A long time ago at any rate. So I should have bought a wheel for GT5 by now I'm guessing? I already adore the game on a DS3....seems I'm missing out.

xtriko
30th April 2012, 07:55 AM
Hey yeldar :) long time no see! About your question, yes, you Should buy a wheel without any doubt. The cool Thing is that you have to re-learn how to play the game :) really cool process ehehehe

apemax
30th April 2012, 11:42 AM
@xtriko: I'm always up for a race on GT5.:)

xtriko
30th April 2012, 01:42 PM
apemax mate, feel free to add me so we can hit the tracks once in a while ;)

slimjim
1st May 2012, 12:31 AM
ive ordered the G27 now for some where to mount it :( any of you guys that have wheels what do you suggest to mount them on.

xtriko
1st May 2012, 08:22 AM
Hey slimjim :) here's What i use.

http://wheelstandpro.com/

Compatible with my driving force pro, g27 and the thrustmaster t500 rs.
It works for me ;) i would take a picture but... My bedroom right now is a mess lololol

Hope that also helps you mate ;)

infoxicated
1st May 2012, 12:58 PM
I've asked for a Wheelstand Pro for my last two birthday and xmas presents, but my girlfriend thinks it'd take up too much room. :(

One day...

xtriko
1st May 2012, 02:20 PM
@Mrs.infoxicated, the wheel stand is awesome and is pretty small :) you can easily hide it under the bed and it is incredibly adjustable :) happy men makes happy women ;) go for it next birthday or Xmas :D

slimjim
1st May 2012, 03:11 PM
@xtriko that looks the bomb but its more money i cant afford at the moment :( especially with all my bike expenses all going out at the same time :(

xtriko
1st May 2012, 03:33 PM
@slimjim I totally understand you mate :( but when possible, you already know what to buy :) I'm really happy with it.
ps. guys, 30min to the GT Academy 2012 be available to download at the ps store :D lets battle!!!

slimjim
1st May 2012, 03:49 PM
yeah i do now know what to buy or should i just make one .

apemax
1st May 2012, 05:24 PM
@xtriko: I tried to add you but it said you have the max number of friends.

xtriko
1st May 2012, 05:52 PM
@apemax: I'm gonna fix that right now ;)

slimjim
2nd May 2012, 04:01 AM
is there a place that i could get that wheel stand cheaper :S

xtriko
2nd May 2012, 07:00 AM
@slimjim: I don't know mate... but there are cheaper wheel stands, but this one has the support for the shifter. I wish I could help you mate :S sorry

guys, I deleted some contacts at the psn. feel free to add me :)

yeldar2097
2nd May 2012, 09:45 AM
Ok I'll get a wheel soon and you can kick my ass like in GT5 like the old days of HD/Fury Xtriko :g

slimjim
2nd May 2012, 03:59 PM
you have helped me i guess il have to bite the bullet and buy it as well :)

xtriko
4th May 2012, 07:36 AM
Today will be the day :D

slimjim
4th May 2012, 03:30 PM
for what

xtriko
4th May 2012, 06:49 PM
finish the 24h nurb :D

slimjim
4th May 2012, 11:05 PM
damn dude thats great

apemax
5th May 2012, 08:53 AM
Very nice xtriko. I'm just about 7 hours into 24h nurburgring race and plan on get a lot more done this weekend.

slimjim
7th May 2012, 12:46 AM
i got my G27 damn i need to learn how to drive with it but its fun wish i got it sooner

xtriko
7th May 2012, 08:31 AM
@slimjim: It's like relearning how to play isn't it? xD it looks like you never played the game before ahahaha it will take a while until you start beating your times, but... when that happens, you'll feel AWESOME! good practice is... The Licenses on gold. Cuz you don't get the chance to choose your car and track. don't make like my little brother, who plays always the same few tracks and use always the same few cars. ;) have fun! :D

xtriko
7th May 2012, 05:31 PM
anyone looking up for a race tonight? :) I'll be racing with my brother and a friend. Races with cars with 400pp, 500pp, 600pp, 700pp and +700. I will not play much time but... I'll have fun for sure :) FairPlay Fair racing ;)

slimjim
7th May 2012, 11:00 PM
that sounds like good advice ill give it a try . i use to spend my saturdays on arcade machines so i should pick it up fairly quick

xtriko
8th May 2012, 12:39 AM
there's a big difference between 180º and 900º wheels :) but if you are used to, you will find no problem mate :D hope to race you soon so we can race without air brakes lol ;)

slimjim
8th May 2012, 03:57 AM
i will still need airbrakes and id need training wheels .

JFthebestJan
8th May 2012, 01:05 PM
GT Academy 2012 is alive!
everyone can take part in it, just go to the PS-store and download the program (3GB)
nice feature is the top10 ranking list of your friends, GT5 needs this feature too imho

xtriko
8th May 2012, 04:18 PM
playing it since may 1st :) it's funny lol

slimjim
8th May 2012, 10:37 PM
that leaf is a beast its got so much power :P

xtriko
8th May 2012, 11:37 PM
@slimjim: LOL indeed xD ahahaha mate, add me whenever you like and if you want to :)

xtriko
6th June 2012, 09:35 AM
anyone up for a race tomorrow? :)

apemax
6th June 2012, 04:43 PM
What time was you thinking of? :)

trackripper
6th June 2012, 07:13 PM
I'll be on early morning and late afternoon tomorrow, and will be on all day Friday. Ziz528 is the PSN to add :)

infoxicated
10th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Was doing the GT Challenge the other night and thought it was hilarious how around 8 people on my friends list had attempted the first three parts of the first challenge, then they started to ebb away. By the time I'd gotten to the end of the 2nd set of challenges there were only the on my list including myself.

I don't want to go any further without using my wheel, but since there's only a week left to do it I better get a move on. :)

apemax
11th June 2012, 04:39 PM
Just finished the last round of GT academy today. I've now got all gold medals and i was ranked 47 on the time trial on the Twin Ring Motegi last time i checked.

xtriko
12th June 2012, 09:08 AM
Did it yesterday too. but my twin ring motegi skills faded away since gt4 lol I can't even run at 1.32.xxx... only 1.33.9xx :S I'll try again when I'm not so sleepy as I was lol :)

Amaroq Dricaldari
12th June 2012, 12:31 PM
I used to play Gran Tursimo 2 on the PS1.

I have seen videos of GT5, though. And it sucks. I think I played the demo as well.

infoxicated
12th June 2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks for clarifying that issue for us - everyone enjoying this thread and this game must be wrong. :rolleyes:

Amorbis
12th June 2012, 06:57 PM
I regret not downloading GT Academy now, even though it would have eaten into my internet limit quite a bit. I'm guessing that Motegi will make its way into the full game eventually, hopefully with some bonus cars.

I briefly held a top 100 place on one of the rally time trials a while ago but I doubt that would mean much with the compeition on GT Academy. Racing soft tyres have spoilt me too much.

Amaroq Dricaldari
12th June 2012, 11:49 PM
@infoxicated

Sorry.

Alright, it is an okay game, but it sucks compared to the older Gran Turismo games (in my opinion).

xtriko
13th June 2012, 05:21 PM
now running at 1:32.166 :) great progress
hmmm... gt5 sucks? I should stop playing it then... lol we all have the right to have our opinions. but sometimes is better to keep it for ourselves ;)

Rossriders
20th June 2012, 10:40 PM
My times on GT Academy are not much impressive (outside of getting gold on every attempt), and as for GT in general, I've played every main game. I have every main game, although the one I play the most for now is GT5. Largely because it's the most realistic of the GTs to date...and because for all my nostalgia for the last few GT games, right now I can't see much a point in playing the earlier ones.

It's also because for now, like I had for a while with GT5, I am trying to take some approaches to become a better racer, but that's been easier said than done. But I've also been making use of Photo mode, I haven't had much motivation to upload them much, but that may change.

I'm okay far as general driving goes, but I know I've got ways to go.

That's my two cents for the matter.

UB3R~JKP
21st June 2012, 12:07 PM
I have a really twitchy Internet connection that stops me playing GT5 at ALL in my bedroom, not sure why but it always hangs when loading. Can be a real pain the ass, I'll have to play it on the PS3 for the Living Room me thinks. As soon as some new DLC gets announced I'll get downloading all the updates for the Living Room PS3. :+

Medusa
30th June 2012, 04:30 PM
Okay guys, can you help decide on a wheel here...
EDIT: Nevermind, all my questions were answered on a 2 year old thread on a different obscure racing forum.

Amaroq Dricaldari
5th July 2012, 12:53 PM
Did you know that one headlight in Gran Turismo 5 has more polygons than an entire car in Gran Turismo 4?

--- Slightly Off-Topic ---
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t500-rs
That thing looks badass. Just imagine playing GT Academy with one or those... Or WipEout :twisted

trackripper
7th July 2012, 09:52 AM
Would explain why the standard models sometimes look like crap... :P

xtriko
11th July 2012, 08:20 AM
Thats my wheel :)

Rossriders
11th July 2012, 11:27 AM
To speak a bit more in regards to how I feel about GT...

Well for me, while I had then and now kept a rather very high interest in cars expressed in more ways than one, with games such as Ridge Racer, and Pole Position, along with playing demos like Indy Car Racing 2...

It was GT (besides the original Need for speed) that got me all the more interested in cars. GT1 in particular. The soundtrack, the cars, the challenge. To date between me and my brother, we have 5 'main' titles, GT1, 2 (both disks) 3, 4 (thrice) and 5.

In honesty, I feel that GT5's physics...give me a lot more options in regards to how to drive a car up to it's limits compared to four, and it seems on one end more friendly towards those who use controllers, and yet also gives a lot of worthwhile challenge when using a wheel for it as well. Much as I want to complain about some of the standard models, for a game that was released two years too early, there have been far worse examples of rushed game releases (*cough*Need For speed*Cough*Undercover*Cough*ProStreet*Cough*Carbo n*Cough*Cough), not to mention that while I'm no hurry to buy the DLC, the FREE stuff is a nice touch.

I play it from time to time, and sometimes I try to do a few more personal objectives.

One of them has been building some GT3 spec (GT3 as in racing class, not the game GT3) Corvettes (Z06 C6 Corvettes to be exact) and making them as quick as the actual GT3 cars based on some lap times. Plus testing how they handle under specific tire, suspension, power and even weight restrictions. Plus the seasonal events keep things challenging. I'd play GT5 more but life calls for more important things to bear.

and that's my two cents for now, till later.