PDA

View Full Version : Alternate classic race type?

Reuben
24th January 2012, 10:19 AM
Anyone else like to see the energy pits back? Maybe a race type with the pits included in the track, instead of the absorb. Loved racing through the track trying not to hit the wall to get to the pit, dodging rockets. With the absorb, it dosnt really matter how many walls you hit etc as long as you absorb the next 3+ weapon pickups, no challenge really.

leungbok
24th January 2012, 10:33 AM
With the absorb, it dosnt really matter how many walls you hit etc as long as you absorb the next 3+ weapon pickups, no challenge really.
If your only goal is to survive a race, no matter your place on the finish line, yes absorb makes it easy and you can hit all the walls you want. But if you plan one day to finish first for example on the A+ challenge with 10 laps on unity park, we'll see if you still consider there's no challenge ;)

Reuben
24th January 2012, 10:58 AM
im saying this is the gameplay feel, i would like to feel again;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuFnFQQ_pI&feature=related

desperation to reach the checkpoint before the timer, desperation to reach the energy pit, shield making the warning sound, just making the corners before the player behind puts a rocket up your ass.

gmrtom7
24th January 2012, 12:08 PM
While I'm certainly a fan of the older Wipeout games, I don't think that there's anything wrong with the series evolving. The checkpoint system is archaic. It's an anachronism from the time of literal arcade racing game, and has no place in a modern racing game. All of these hopes and wishes for a Wipeout "2097-2" are ridiculous, as that game, great as it was, relied upon game mechanics which are simply not viable in today's industry. Many fans' feelings about 2097 are greatly influenced by nostalgia (mine are too), so it may seem that returning to those roots in the most literal way possible is the best idea. However, if SL were to carry that idea into production, it would be the last Wipeout ever made, as it would not sell.

I'm happy enough that we're getting a new Wipeout game, especially after the scare with SL laying off a while back. If you want a classic Wipeout experience, go play the classics. I know I do when I feel that need. ;) However, there's nothing wrong with the series changing and evolving to meet the needs of new hardware and new players, especially seeing as SL has done such a nice job of keeping the central gameplay from the PSX games largely untouched.

JABBERJAW
24th January 2012, 12:29 PM
That checkpoint feel is gone, but I completely disagree with the physics argument. They could not make an EXACT replica of XL, but they could do the exact same physics, but with wall scraping and it would be fine, and Sell. While I love wo3, it was too different from Xl to sell ( very hardcore with the constant blowing up).

That being said, this is the first wipeout since wipeout 3 that I want to get home from work and play. I think because the steering is more difficult again. I don't know if Leunbok feels this way, but in pure/ pulse/ HD, I feel like I should always be in control of my ship,in wipeout 2048, I am fighting to keep control of the ship much of the time, on the fastest speed that is. While you are trying for the best lines, you are also fighting to stay off the Walls.

anderkovver
24th January 2012, 02:52 PM
well done that could be mine words grmtom7.... I think we have to evolve as pilots with the game... I'm a oldskool wiper... Lets ask the younger ones what they hink about 2048... I think they gonna love it like we did back then in 1995

leungbok
24th January 2012, 05:23 PM
I don't know if Leunbok feels this way, but in pure/ pulse/ HD, I feel like I should always be in control of my ship,in wipeout 2048, I am fighting to keep control of the ship much of the time, on the fastest speed that is. While you are trying for the best lines, you are also fighting to stay off the Walls.
Yes i feel the same, and the small screen (anyway of great quality and rendition) don't help to anticipate the turns, it's too fast ATM, lol. But with training i'll adjust :pirate I personaly find hd/pulse/pure easier.

Sausehuhn
24th January 2012, 06:31 PM
That's very nice to hear. I remember WOHD being too fast at the start; you really had to get used to the speed and it was real challenge with much attention required. If that process is even more challenging in WO2048: Superb!

gmrtom7
24th January 2012, 07:44 PM
That checkpoint feel is gone, but I completely disagree with the physics argument. They could not make an EXACT replica of XL, but they could do the exact same physics, but with wall scraping and it would be fine, and Sell. While I love wo3, it was too different from Xl to sell ( very hardcore with the constant blowing up).

That being said, this is the first wipeout since wipeout 3 that I want to get home from work and play. I think because the steering is more difficult again. I don't know if Leunbok feels this way, but in pure/ pulse/ HD, I feel like I should always be in control of my ship,in wipeout 2048, I am fighting to keep control of the ship much of the time, on the fastest speed that is. While you are trying for the best lines, you are also fighting to stay off the Walls.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a WO game with more challenging physics (and from what I'm hearing, 2048 is it). However, I think many of the other things mentioned (checkpoints, pits) are outdated in this style of game, and have been rightly phased out.

kaori
24th January 2012, 10:40 PM
If your only goal is to survive a race, no matter your place on the finish line, yes absorb makes it easy and you can hit all the walls you want. But if you plan one day to finish first for example on the A+ challenge with 10 laps on unity pa:banzairk, we'll see if you still consider there's no challenge ;)

10 laps ??? :banzai

Reuben
25th January 2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wHqpBzB60&feature=related

thats the kind of physics and speed i would like to see return, with energy pits, maybe not checkpoints, dont get me wrong, i still play 2097 religiously!!! it would be nice to see them re-release 2097 with all tracks ever made for the wipeout series, just a thought