PDA

View Full Version : Bio-battery (from the OSHI concept)

feisarfan
23rd January 2012, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone, again. I keep popping on every now and then - the WipEout craze hasn't left my blood... yet :)

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this thread is because I had a bit of a brainwave - I have been reading the old OSHI spec document concerning the specifications, safety features, and design goals of a real-life AG racer (obviously without the cutting-edge /uninvented physics bits) and I think I have managed to come up with a way to power a craft in question without using conventional fuel (both petrol and nuclear) - yet allowing the use of renewable energy - in this case, solar power.

My brainwave was what I call a 'bio-battery' - in essence, the batteries would contain moss, or plants capable of high oxygen output; plants emit oxygen when they respire - and they need carbon dioxide, which we breathe out.

This oxygen could be compressed, and forced into a piston (ala petrol engine). Coupled with hydrogen (an afterburner) and a spark, the oxygen ignites, pushing the piston down, which spins a crankshaft. The end of the crankshaft is linked to a generator, and, with the use of a step-up transformer, power could be stored in cells and used to power turbines to move the craft along, as well as 'control surfaces' such as electrically/hydraulically operated air-brakes and turning winglets.

Is this idea scientifically true/workable? (Aka, would it work? If it did, AG racing could unintentionally save the planet, by soaking up excess carbon dioxide)

Xpand
23rd January 2012, 09:10 PM
The plants have no such efficiency in the CO2->O2 convertion to make that fiasable... Although you could use the H2O in the air and compress it and run it through a catalizator that would separate the O from the H and use that to perform either the combustion of the O2 or the electrical production from the H, like in hydrogen powered vehicles...

Amaroq Dricaldari
12th May 2012, 03:36 AM
Genetic Engineering will always find a way to make CO2 to O2 conversion more effecient. Just wait.