PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer campaign

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 03:42 AM
It sounds from what I have read that people vote on the track as opposed to choosing a track, speed, options and setting up a game with the settings you want. At this point you cannot choose settings of any kind in single player. It looks like mpc is about achieving objectives, like 1) hit player 2 with a missle, and come in at least third. That might be fun for some, but what about all the previous normal options that were in the game? We really need a sony rep to explain where all the stuff is, beside just trying to get stupid trophies. Trophies are the extra part of the game, not the only purpose.

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 03:55 AM
So yeah, about you having difficulty finding things... Is the UI really that bad? It sounds like it way too much.
Or is the game that half baked... I mean no offense but even though they've got the graphics, gameplay and etc. down (amazing), it doesn't do jack diddly if the game modes are out and the UI is ****. I played another game like that: it was called Unreal Tournament 3. It tanked miserably.
Please, let this be different D: I'm hoping this will be patched up to make up for the premature launch. Lots of times. Unlike Unreal Tournament 3.

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 05:49 AM
Ok, I just tested ad hoc, just to see my options of creating a game, none there is. It gives me a random track and mode with no options to change anything, so yes, you seem right on the money. Great graphics, gameplay, and speed, but the rest seems really messed up very badly. We want to play wipeout, not go on a quest. If that is an extra mode, fine, but I certainly don't want to guess at what needs to happen next. I don't know how many times I have said " what the hell"

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 06:48 AM
i guess online campaign will be necessary to unlock every game mode, and maybe completion of all elite pass on offline campaign. I finished the solo mode and i unlocked speed laps in all classes for all tracks.
Here's my map and stuffs unlocked atm. Spoiler !! ;)

gmrtom7
23rd January 2012, 09:22 AM
Oh thank God, I was pretty nervous about that for a while there. Really glad to see that those events are unlockable. I guess SL really wants people to get though their campaign. ;)

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 09:26 AM
My thoughts too !;)
There's also those stuffs to unlock using augmented reality, like it was shown on the 1st trailer, but i just can't figure how it works, lol.

Sausehuhn
23rd January 2012, 09:31 AM
Didn’t they also talk about secret, hidden events you can only access by popping them out of the grid with the rear touch panel? :)

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, also, and there's 57 pages of ingame guide with unknown icons, but it's all in japanese :brickwall (the game itself is in english if your vita is set to british langage)

Temet
23rd January 2012, 11:07 AM
Hey Leung, the PSVita includes a screenshot application : http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/capture.html

For the following pics ;)

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 11:22 AM
I have all of that ( less yellow though), there is no hint of playing tt, zone or SR, in that similar choice of speed lap. I am worried, worried as hell, especially after looking at ad hoc, and given no choices. Online campaign should be a fun extra, not a necessary function to unlock game modes like tt or others. It's worrisome because SL does visit this site and has offered no help. We want to enjoy your game, please help

Colonel
23rd January 2012, 11:33 AM
They said recently on twitter that there was no Racebox mode in 2048, that they'd concentrated on building a massive campaign mode instead.

http://twitter.com/wipEout2048

rdmx
23rd January 2012, 11:45 AM
There is no reason to not have racebox. Even if it is a little rudimentary menu with some dialog boxes, it is better than nothing.

Even if say zone mode wasn't built on every track, just make it selectable on the ones that are.

Very very odd decision. "We've built a cool game, now let's obfuscate options behind a 'slick' interface" :|

Sausehuhn
23rd January 2012, 12:58 PM
Hah! Thankfully there is at least the option for patches (think back to the PS2-and-everything-before-that-era). So there’s still hoping for custom controls and racebox.

At least for me the fun thing about a racing game is the ability to simply select a race and get on the track. A campaign is an important thing, but after it’s done, it’s done. Then you long for some disport rather than a whole complex game.

Same goes for online races. An online campaign surely is a very nice thing, but sometimes I just want to chill with a few races, trying to get first and that’s it.

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 01:01 PM
Lol what. (https://twitter.com/#!/KarlJones100/status/161155257089527809)

"Some stuff doesn't make the cut." Yeah, except perhaps you should reconsider.
http://i.imgur.com/0HQ4b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uKIU6.jpg
It's only one of the two most important features of the game. And I haven't even played that much by most standards.

I used to think WipEout was a great PC game played on a console (Because of the amazing UI, extra options, great value DLC.) I guess that's gone out the door with Colin.
Look I'm sorry for being so cynical once again, but for WipEout's sake please patch Racebox in.

Colonel
23rd January 2012, 01:01 PM
It's a shame they've gone for the voting system online. I can't help but think if HD had been like that you'd be stuck on Anulpha Pass, Moa and Metropia all day.

DD777- That's weird, your HD stats screen seems to suggest your time in the air is about 3x your total game time :eek

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 01:02 PM
That is terrible, how do you select a race,speed,class, and mode!, in single or multiplayer. What the heck, seriously this needs to be added as well. It should not only be a quest game. I'll need to write up a petition to add race box back in. This makes absolutely no sense at all. Let's make great gameplay, speed, but not let people choose the race they want to do like in EVERY other wipeout. It makes a great game not fun.

Olivario
23rd January 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm absolutely annoyed, no Racebox nor option to choose the online race you want. Could Studio Liverpool have done it worse? Seriously, it doesn't make any sense.

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 01:10 PM
DD777- That's weird, your HD stats screen seems to suggest your time in the air is about 3x your total game time :eekI believe game time is HH:MM:SS while time in the air is MM:SS:MS.

Mad-Ice
23rd January 2012, 01:11 PM
What no racebox!? Why oh why? Pure had the best options: pre-set tours of 4 races and even upto 12 races. Also offline you could choose the option: next race.

rdmx
23rd January 2012, 01:30 PM
Agreed mad-ice, 'Next Race' was something I sorely missed from Pulse and HD. I resorted to making a custom grid with all the tracks in a row.

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 01:54 PM
IMO possibilities to set all the races availables on the campaign will be possible as for the speed laps menu (which is not in a separate menu from the campaign). I guess time trial menu similar to the speed lap's one will be unlocked, as for sr and combat mode (probably doing the full online campaign). about zone mode, i think the campaign events related to that mode will be sufficient, because all tracks have their zone node and you can select your ship at will. So there's not racebox as we know it, but i'm certain that it will be possible to select all the classic modes in a way or in other in the campaign map, i plan to complete all the speed lap races to see if something happens ;)
Al, be patient mate, i'm sure things will be cleared soon for the best. Just don't expect to beat the whole game before 2048's launch in US and Europe. But hey, we already are lucky enough to be able to train on all the tracks until the 22/2 :p
And the discovering of all the stuff online with the rest of the community will be awesome :)

Temet
23rd January 2012, 02:20 PM
They said recently on twitter that there was no Racebox mode in 2048, that they'd concentrated on building a massive campaign mode instead.

Massive campaign that Leungbok took between 6 and 8 hours to close...
Of course, Leungbok is not "the average player"... but still, I'm disappointed to learn there is no racebox.

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 02:22 PM
i'm certain that it will be possible to select all the classic modes in a way or in other in the campaign mapNo! That is not good enough!
The reason UT3 failed so much was that while the options to play stuff the way you wanted to were there (At least for the game modes that weren't cut), the UI was an absolute cluster**** to even begin to comprehend. You had to flip at least five pages backwards and forwards to just select a game mode, a map, the rules, the number of bots and the mutators. That's before you could click start to play if you liked playing something other than default rules, because the UI didn't save your selections at all! It was confusing as hell. People literally gave up playing because of it.
I don't want some convoluted UI design to obfuscate the options available to me. They have to be easily accessible and clearly understandable. Never mind the fact that this has always been a part of the WipEout philosophy, that's basic UI design 101.
So a million times No! Not good enough!

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 02:24 PM
Massive campaign that Leungbok took between 6 and 8 hours to close...
Of course, Leungbok is not "the average player"
Thanks ^^But i only completed the offline campaign which is the small part of the game IMO, since SL communicated a lot since the announce of 2048 on their famous "full online campaign". And even if there's no racebox, there'll be something equivalent ! ;)

So a million times No! Not good enough!
On the campaign map i have a whole space dedicated to speed laps where i can choose the track and speed class i want very easily (check my pictures), i'm sure other modes will appear on that map because there's still plenty of space, but if you want a "RACEBOX" with golden letters and champaign at the entry, you'll be disappointed ! :rolleyes:

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 02:56 PM
sorry for double post, delete it please :redface:

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 04:04 PM
I checked. That's why I'm not really happy about it.

http://i.imgur.com/ijukV.jpg
Old version (http://i.imgur.com/zJ186.jpg)

Having one icon on the campaign map for each game mode is a terrible idea, and the above explains why.
However, it would be a heck of a lot better than having no icons at all and having to go hunt for events in the three grids I'll give you that...
Still, why go halfway? Just add Racebox to the main menu and the problem is completely solved.

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 04:45 PM
I first thought when i started the campaign, that it would have be great to have a racebox mode to practice. not at the 2048 campaign, it's pretty easy, you can reach elite pass at first attempt ! ;) But later for 2050 when i entered on the whole new sol track for an sr race at A class, i would have been able to train a bit on sl or tt in C class :p
But in the other hand, i recently played some games where there's was almost nothing to unlock even on hardest modes (probably future DLC :rolleyes:) and it's extremely disappointing.
Even if not being able to access directly to some "training" modes (except speed laps, the most important IMO :g), i like the fact to unlock some stuff step by step, it makes me more interested for the campaign, that i'm usually not (probably what the devs had in mind ;))

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 05:19 PM
Hey, if I knew the stuff would be unlocked ( tt, sr), I would be a lot happier. I don't mind playing stuff step by step to earn it, at least in single player, I agree with you. It's STUDIO LIVERPOOLS silence that scares me. Also, there is absolutely NO reason not to have racebox options for SP AND MP, since they were already in the game engine, and it's fun, so why take it out, just add the new stuff

I'm worried though, they have not commented at all on the SL equivalent for tt, race, and zone in single player or multiplayer. Why the heck should we have to wait to do tts and SR. Anyway, at dd777, at this point just be happy if you can choose the races in the area like SL. @Leungbok, I am worried because I read that article, you vote on a track in campaign? I went on adhoc and it gave me no choices after I chose create a game. It put a random track and mode that could not be changed.

Studio Liverpool could come on here and say " you will be able to play in single player,.. time trial,SR and zone on any track at any speed class,you just need to open it up by .......

They could also come on here and say, " when the host sets up a race or a tournament in multiplayer, you will be able to select a race ( races), speed class, ship, and options (weapons off, steering assist off, ect), you will be able to select the # of participants, and friends, all, ect)

I am bringing this up, because it could be too late to add anything if we wait too long, and these options are not in. All STUDIO LIVERPOOL needs to do is come to the site and answer these VERY IMPORTANT questions. While I agree 100% with dd777 that there should be a racebox choice single player, AND a separate race box choice like hd for example for multiplayer, I would be happy if at some point I would be able to choose what type of race, speed, ship for multiple or single player mode in any shape, and I don't mean looking all over the grid for a event. I DON'T want to bash this game, BUT I also don't want to go on damn online quests with people I don't know, just to open up stuff, and never be able to go choose a race to play. This should be an extra, not the main game.

Also, A+ speed is awesome, but we can at this point only do it on speed laps

Boycey83
23rd January 2012, 05:43 PM
No racebox is just incomprehensibly nuts.

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 05:44 PM
@Leungbok, I am worried because I read that article, you vote on a track in campaign?

The vote for the next track became a classical feature on many racers online, maybe one idea of the guys from motorstorm. If it's only the track and not the speed class & other settings, that's not a big deal for me, and we can't be sure now of the number of modes we will have online.
@JABBERJAW, It seems that completing elite pass unlocks more stuff (A+ for you). I hope some modes will be unlocked while all the elite pass will be obtained on offline campaign. Also there's some elite pass that gives trophies as rewards, i'll try those first ;)
I'm trying also to complete all the speed lap nodes (only have to complete one lap per race) to see if something else don't appear by chance !

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 05:50 PM
My chart is wrong but anyways it's a catastrophe if they don't do it at all, and it's a mess if they do it halfheartedly.
I'll fix the mistakes and rehost the fixed picture in a moment.

I hope SL fixes theirs.
We need:
-custom controls
-offline racebox
-online racebox hosting (user voting could be an option to choose allow/disallow)

Olivario
23rd January 2012, 06:25 PM
To me, Racebox MUST be unlocked since the very first time you play the game without any needing of playing the campaign, winning golds...I wonder how such an experienced developers took such a fool decision.

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that L. Keep me posted. I do hate voting for the track though, I find that to be awful. Maybe the motor storm guy should have kept that one ning to himself :),

amplificated
23rd January 2012, 06:45 PM
I agree, olivario. Having to memorise which each event is, is incomprehensibly stupid from a design perspective which means SL either a) didn't cosider people wanting to do this and are really losing their game, or more likely, b) didn't want people to be able to select what they wanted easily.

My guess is this will all be "fixed" in a patch some months after the world release, so there will be more players more easily able to compete in the leaderboards at once rather than let people dominate them from the word "go". I think that's bad for fans of the game, but as has been shown time and time again, 2048 is built to attract new people to the franchise more than the existing fans - importantly, I need to add that I'm not even saying it's a bad thing - but at the same time, it's not all good for everyone.

Why not forget about the leaderboards entirely? Leaderboards and being able to interact with them add to the experience and make people come back to the game. Given SL's goals, it would make sense to allow a racebox (or racebox styled) ability to quickly get to any track in any available mode. Right now, they don't need to make sense... they've got a bit of hype and a product refined to its task.

I just hope that when it works (or not), they don't think that 2048's inherent philosophies are what WipEout should be from now on.

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 06:47 PM
To me, Racebox MUST be unlocked since the very first time you play the game without any needing of playing the campaign, winning golds
Strange decision i agree but i don't blame SL for that... as the game remains complete at the end. Anyway it's risky to surprise the fans like that :lol

Mad-Ice
23rd January 2012, 07:00 PM
Well, real fans will complete the game anyway! But I really hope SL will read all our feedback to make the game even better. Just keep on repeating what we really need.

Custom controls
Racebox, offline and online
Pre-set tours like Pure
Option for next race
Time trial races with 1 turbo each lap

Temet
23rd January 2012, 07:29 PM
2 firsts are mandatory.
3 lasts are bonus let's say ;)

Darkdrium777
23rd January 2012, 07:45 PM
as the game remains complete at the endExcuse me once again, but I disagree.

leungbok
23rd January 2012, 10:20 PM
If all the events are appearing on the campaign map, i prefer that new way. It's faster to select the mode/track/speed you want by only one touch of the screen ! Way better than using the trigger and d-pad to select your choice on many sub menus !

JABBERJAW
23rd January 2012, 10:43 PM
We need to see, or SL Needs to confirm at the very least what we can expect to have. We only see SPEED LAP right now. There is no confirmation of anything else at this point. If you could select TT and SR like "speed lap", your selections in single and multiple player, and not VOTE on a damn race, that would work, and I would be ok enough with that, but it is not as good as HDs interface which is incredibly easy to select, and it gives you loads of options. Let's hope we can actually get an answer out of the dev team, and get rid of the secrecy. At this point the game is about half as enjoyable as it should be. Speed laps are not my favorite :)

One touch is fine I agree, but we need options like weapons off, ect. Sub menu touch screen selections maybe

Temet
24th January 2012, 07:53 AM
Vote could be a nice addition IMO.
Sometimes when you host, you don't know which settings to chose after you did all the tracks.
So, I don't blame the addition of this new feature... but I'd like an "host settings" back!

leungbok
24th January 2012, 09:56 AM
here's an A+ video from kakeru714 (snake714 on psn ;)) . It's an unlockable challenge. He confirms that time trials are in the game the same way as the speed laps on the comments, Al :). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWcDrvYdG5A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Temet
24th January 2012, 11:17 AM
That's frakking awesome!!!
I can't resist, I need the game !!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap

anderkovver
24th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Only looking at that movie gives me a kinda rush.... Awesome. I need it too.. Right now

JABBERJAW
24th January 2012, 01:34 PM
He wasn't super specific, so I asked three more questions regarding tt,sr, and online option. That will be a step in the right direction if they are set up like SL ( why does it take so long to unlock them?) but there are more things than just that, like options and online choices of races, events, ect. I am hoping he will join here and post how to unlock items, and give detailed descriptions if online, adhoc and single player options. Maybe you can give a nudge over here too. Oh, the track is nowhere as easy as he made it look.

leungbok
24th January 2012, 05:11 PM
The way to unlock stuff, is completing campaign, completing elite pass (mostly some particular events like the bigger ones on the map). Also increasing your rank unlocks stuff. I also unlocked another challenge similar to queen's mall, a race on unity park it's awfully hard, lol, worse than queen's mall, but so fuuuun !! :D

JABBERJAW
24th January 2012, 05:16 PM
Have you got all elite passes? I was hoping all tt elite passes might lead to open up TT

leungbok
24th January 2012, 05:43 PM
I have seasons 2048 and 2049 completed in elite only left 7 elite pass on season 2050 , plus 3 other challenges i unlocked recently : A+ challenge 10 laps queens mall, A+ challenge unity park 10 laps (f****g hard lol) and ag-systems prototype challenge A class 10 laps which is i complete in elite (the AG-systems prototype with 2 BRs :hyper) in fact it don't do 2 BRs itself you have to do twice the input, the ship rotates twice faster than the other and if you have time before landing he can perform 2 rotations in a row for better boost reward he also have "combat spin" which means that the ship can make a 180° flip (like in eliminator) ! ;)