PDA

View Full Version : El Es One Oh BLOODY FOUR!

Brother Laz
28th April 2003, 08:50 AM
How in name of the six panthers of Vostok am I supposed to win this bloody LS104 track?!

I noticed that I'd lose about 3 positions every lap at that stupid hill at the end, unless I use the Qirex or ICARAS. The other thing is that I keep getting rammed off the road every time I get stuck in that major mob between #2 and #7. It's hard to overtake people when they keep pushing you into walls, or shoot you when you are just past them.

The Qirex seems the best ship here, the only ship that is fast enough and has enough mass to not get bounced around like that. I almost won it - I was actually 1st near the end of the final lap, then when I pulled up to take the hill (and slowed down somewhat) the bastard in #2 proceeded to bulldoze me into the outer wall where I blew up. :-?

Anyone did manage to win this track? Damn, winning Silverstream in 1 lap is easier than this, because I can consistently do so and yet always finish 5th to 7th on LS104...

xEik
28th April 2003, 10:07 AM
I assume we are talking Phantom here.
Well I only managed once or twice and I agree with you. LS104 at Phantom is true hell.
The downhill near the end is really difficult with a D-pad and I've seen Gotekis pass me in the main straight while I was driving an AG-5Y5 :lol:

Curious fact. My race record on that track wasn't any of the victories, I think I finished third.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Task
28th April 2003, 05:04 PM
Ah, the glory of LS104 where the enemy pilots have some ability!
You have to throw away everything you've learned up till this point, and start fresh.
In LS104, you're _racing_, not "blowing by everyone on the track". This mean You Pass One Opponent At A Time. You take them on the corners, you use the thrust to pass, and you use a weapon when you pass. The most important thing I found on this track was choosing the side of the track to fly on. You're either on the right or the left, since the opponent you're passing is on the other side. When you do a corner, he switches sides so you hafta switch sides also. You also hafta watch out for any weapons fired up your tailpipe, that's a good time to pass the guy in front of you, you can use him as a shield.
Beyond those basics, I was pitting every lap and thrusting up the hill. Coming off the top of the hill you can shortcut, but you don't have to to win.
For me, winning that track is all about slowly advancing to 1st place. You solidly take each position (using a weapon usually makes it pretty solidly taken) and just work your way up.
Beyond that, it's just practice. Well, that's how I found it, anyway. Your milage may vary, HTH.

Brother Laz
29th April 2003, 12:56 PM
Ah, the glory of LS104 where the enemy pilots have some ability!

Yep... to the point of FEISARS outracing me Kee-Resh all the way between the hill and the straight with the things that jut out. :) Getting overtaken by all the slow ships on the starting straight... THAT'll impress the big bossovich of Qirex. ;)

Coming off the top of the hill you can shortcut, but you don't have to to win.

?!?
Is there a shortcut?
How?

All I noticed is that if I thrust up (and deplete my energy down to 25% and not getting overtaken by FEISARS but only by Gotekis and up, woot!) and don't hold the nose down button all the way I smash into the ceiling and die or drop down onto the road while everyone else flies past. :(

Task
30th April 2003, 06:59 AM
Coming off the top of the hill, you pull up and go right.
There's the roof at the very top that you can smash into fairly disasterously, but just past that you can pass through. You land just before the finish line, cutting the right-left-right at the end. It's very difficult to do properly and I really don't suggest it. I think the only way it can actually be pulled off even remotely safely is as a finish to the very last lap.

Brother Laz
30th April 2003, 07:55 AM
Yay!

Finally a lap time under 32 seconds. :) :)

Heh, got lucky though. Made 3rd and plasma bolted everyone nearby, then crashed 4 times and ended up in the (now) empty space between the front runners and the back. Got me an unobstructed lap, except near the end where I overtook the #4 and he crashed into me from behind when I pulled up to not bottom out, and shot me up the hill like a rocket at twice the speed of everyone else and through the roof of the tunnel. Yeah, it's easy that way. :)

Albino Ace
31st March 2008, 05:09 AM
I realize this thread is ancient, but I think - according to the guidelines - I'm better off posting here than making a new thread. >> ... << ... o_o

:lol Anyway...I just played LS104 Phantom for the first time in a while and I was thinking - "holy **** bbqh4x! What the hell with these opponents?! If this was online multiplayer, that'd make more sense...but AI?!! O.O"

I lost count of how many times it took me to get #1...Once, I was at about 9% health left, on the last straight before the tunnel/hill at the end. My cloak had JUST gone away, and then a ship bumps into me. Next thing I know, its as if a bunch of little kiddies rushing for that playground at recess just rammed me over. I was dead in an instant! :o

Whew! ... So yes, the opponents there are ludicrously good! I did manage a pretty good race time - and lap record while I was at it :P - with that #1 position, so I figured I'd make a vid...(my apologies if it seems slightly choppy at points)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIqUtCazAAI

blixabargeld
31st March 2008, 12:32 PM
wow, really nice vid and nice performance! i never managed to win on that track..

Asayyeah
31st March 2008, 01:26 PM
That is ace , Albino :)

Albino Ace
31st March 2008, 02:53 PM
Hence my username. :P ... OK, that was corny. :lol

Anyway, thanks guys. ^_^ Like I said, tough as hell...almost as if I were racing some of you guys online or somethin'. =O

Lance
31st March 2008, 05:43 PM
It may be the most difficult track to beat in all of the versions of Wipeout.

Hillo
31st March 2008, 06:16 PM
I haven't tried this track before, so i think that i should now have a go at it.

RJ O'Connell
20th July 2008, 02:47 AM
I just tried it. ****, that's intense.

Almost as hard as F-Zero GX on Master. Maybe even more.

And here's the kicker...I'm only on Rapier Class T_T

AG-wolf
20th July 2008, 06:00 PM
Hard as F-Zero GX on Master? Then it must be a cakewalk.

RJ O'Connell
20th July 2008, 06:02 PM
The first time I played it at 14, it certainly wasn't a cakewalk! (And it still isn't.)

It's terrible how the lead group of cars just dust me from the get go at LS104 that by the time you've gotten into medal range, first place has already almost finished...:/

AG-wolf
20th July 2008, 06:37 PM
played it at 14? jesus how old ARE you o_O

and im gonna fire up LS104 right now and see if I remember it...
---
**** that I'm not playing any other wipeout until I'm done with XL because they all handled god damned differently. I hit the wall on STRAIGHTAWAYS, then I went to a couple other tracks just to get a feel for the game and couldn't do squat. I have two courses in XL to finish making videos of, then I may go to WO3 just for something to do, but until then I can't lose my honed handling skills on XL.

I remember the course though, I don't remember it being as difficult as one or two of the other prototype courses. Just practice it more, that specific one needed a lot of pre-emptive turning on the sharper turns and a steady thumb to get the gradual sweeping turns... I wish I could still use the dual shock for WO3 but I stopped playing the game for a span of a few years and I can't get the hang of the analog stick again.

Task
20th July 2008, 09:39 PM
Nah, it's about LS104 on SR, not TT. It's not the track that's the opponent here. You're not going to beat it in a casual sit-down, you'll have to focus on it for a couple hours. Definitely wait till your other WO projects are done. 8 )

AG-wolf
21st July 2008, 12:06 AM
I did it on single race :P Here, I'm gonna sit down and do it tonight just for shits and giggles now :P

EDIT: No, I take it back, there's definitely something weird with that course's difficulty level o_O seventh place for me is a joke. I hit other ships with missles and ****, too, and they didn't even get knocked around. I had an energy drain affixed on someone coming down the slop in the tunnel, I was right behind them and fired rockets or missles right at them in front of me and they didn't even flinch.

JABBERJAW
21st July 2008, 01:11 AM
is that the one with the long uphill tunnel near the end, then downhill? If so, I like that track :)

RJ O'Connell
22nd July 2008, 02:30 AM
played it at 14? jesus how old ARE you o_O
18. Remember, F-Zero GX is about five years old now. Plus I started WipIng at age 7.

Al: The track in itself is a great layout at least, I'll give it that. If the AI was at least consistent with the rest of the game, it would have been a great normal track! ^^

adelheid
27th July 2008, 02:23 AM
*Watches video*

Oh... that track... yeah, in my opinion that track needs it's own theme tune, like some kind of "Last Boss" music or something.

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2008, 01:31 PM
Or it should have been textured to look like something from death metal lore, it's that evil.

willsgb13
31st May 2009, 09:31 PM
i hate to chime in with something that pretty much everyone else has said but i am REALLY glad about this thread. i got golds in all speed classes with all vehicles on all tracks, and i've never come first on this track. i thought wtf is this, am i suddenly amateur again, what's going on? sneaky bastards hey! great track though, massive challenge :+

albino ace, your run was excellent, made great viewing. going to try it this week

WolfKill01
18th October 2009, 10:47 PM
I felt the same way about this course first couple times I raced on it. But then I turned off the checkpoints, weapons, and opponets and realized that it really was an AMAZING track. It was so well layed out. And one of the most difficult wipeout tracks I've ever seen. The turns flowed into one another, the elevation changes were spot-on, and the amazing speed you get going down the huge tunneled-hill was exhilirating. I think this track would be amazing if they remodled it for a future wipeout game. :D

Also, the AI were some of the most annoying little f**kers I've ever seen. :mad: If the AI raced like they do on LS104 on all the tracks, I probably would've quit wipeout 3 on my third race.

andy
18th October 2009, 11:10 PM
they should have made it so you could toggle AI like LS104 on all tracks once you'd beaten it - just to be evil.

Hail Seizure
8th November 2009, 01:59 PM
I take it this only applies to the WO3 version? In SE I can get to first place in lap 1 using the Feisar. :o

Task
9th November 2009, 03:57 PM
Woo! The first benefit that W3O has over SE! Party on!

Hail Seizure
18th November 2009, 12:20 AM
I finally unlocked this in WO3 this morning and it's true. I keep getting overtaken by Assegais, and I haven't yet finished a race in higher than 5th place. The AI in this version races like something out of a Nintendo game. :o

Nice feeling seeing the wall of gold in Phantom though.

SaturnReturn
18th November 2009, 07:33 PM
I just purchased Wip3out from a well know online marketplace and look forward to finding out what you are all on about soon.:D