PDA

View Full Version : Initial thughts

Pages : 1 [2]

XoPachi
14th April 2012, 09:25 PM
Can't. Beat. Pir-hana. Q^Q

UnleashSonic
16th April 2012, 02:52 PM
I know this is a little of topic, but someone mentioned a couple of pages back about getting WipEout Pure DLC. I would be eternally greatful if you could point me in the right direction for getting said DLC, because I have been searching for it for ages!

Cheers, Clancy :)

mangaroo
16th April 2012, 07:01 PM
Here you go: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?7242-Pure-Track-Packs

I'm still curious about your opinions since the 1.02 patch although I'm not as miffed as earlier. Appreciating the load time bump and pretty happy with the game for offline purposes.

UnleashSonic
17th April 2012, 04:28 AM
Now an on-topic post; does DJ Fresh's 'Louder' feature in races and gameplay, or is it just for the intro?

kaori
17th April 2012, 11:24 AM
Just the intro :)

mangaroo
17th April 2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone else noticed this in Zone mode once you reach mach 1.3 or so on Sol, near the start there is an uphill curve to the left before the split. You are going so fast that if you fall off the side you are basically still flying up and not losing much height..one lap I fell off, rose up underneath the middle of the track and went straight through the glass shaded platform, continuing as normal :D

UnleashSonic
21st April 2012, 07:51 AM
Awwww, that is a shame. I kinda like that song. Oh well, there are some real classics in there anyways.

MENGKESHI
21st April 2012, 08:14 AM
I'm getting into it slowly but have really started feeling it on the 3rd season of the campaign. For some reason (probably because of the screen), I'm finding this game much more fun playing in internal view and with the anaolog stick, 2 changes from how I liked to play HD on PS3. Of course I agree it needs some kind of racebox but the gameplay and tracks are awesome!! Thanks SL!!

EDIT: Oh yeah and non-broken proper leaderboards are a must!

stin
28th April 2012, 07:35 AM
Played Online Campaign for two F****** weeks! I mean solid!!:mad:, lost everything for the second time!!, I was nearly in the end to complete Plat!! :frown:

Totally pissed off player!!!!:bomb

Have to start again for the friggen third time!!!!

stevie:|

morfeo378
28th April 2012, 09:13 AM
I've played enough these last days, the game is good, of course a mistake not to have Racebox, but what I find horrible is that to achieve elite battle is only a matter of luck, a big mistake in my opinion, it is frustrating to think is easier to get 65 areas to get elite battle

MENGKESHI
28th April 2012, 12:14 PM
Damn, unlucky mate! How?

infoxicated
28th April 2012, 06:57 PM
I can't get back into it.

Every time I go back to it I'm almost instantly frustrated by the game progression and I turn it back off again.

Think it'll be going on ebay while it's still worth something, I'm afraid. Even if they patch in Racebox, all it's going to give me is the ability to choose which mode, track, and speed I get to attempt barrel rolls in. Bit of a shame the series has come to an end for me this way, but I think this is it - 2048 will almost certainly be the last WipEout game I ever buy. We've moved on from each other... that and I expect full price games to have a certain level of "completeness" to them. :|

kaori
29th April 2012, 01:55 PM
10 days without playing. Hopefully, there is the speed lap challenge, so today I play against the ghosts of my friends. Great feature, but if there is an online racebox, I would played every day, if there is an adhoc racebox, I would meet my friends once by month or more...

stin
29th April 2012, 02:02 PM
That is what we desperately needs!

stevie:)

leungbok
29th April 2012, 02:11 PM
So true !! :blarg

Temet
30th April 2012, 10:47 PM
Hey Studio Liverpool, if you read this :
- remove the crossplay! Ok, Sony pushes for this, but for the moment nearly nobody uses it and your patches on HD to introduce the feature are ruining the game. Go back to pre-2048 patch!
- forget the AR thing, it's a toy we dont need.

Focus on racebox-like, A+ online racing (racing is not combat, let's be clear).
Open your eyes, you're going into a wall, WO 2048 looks almost dead already...

OveReAction
1st May 2012, 09:53 AM
I got the error C2-12828-1 twice! Now I have to do it all over again, thrice! FUUUU--

JABBERJAW
1st May 2012, 12:15 PM
They haven't replied on Facebook for about 6-7 days now. Multitudes of complaints about racebox. Please come and join.

Temet
1st May 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not a facebook member Al, and I don't intend to become one... so I express here and on youtube.

mangaroo
2nd May 2012, 01:09 AM
I made sure to like the racebox posts and sent them a message as well.

Do you think part of the problem is that they expect we want the online racebox to be integrated with the multiplayer levelling and XP system? I imagine if they add it as a separate unrelated mode, like with cross-play, most people would be satisfied - especially if it is what is causing the headache for the team.

On the topic of losing multiplayer progress, that has happened to me about 5 times but it was never permenant. It usually happened when I resumed the game after the system has been off and it fails to connect online. At that point I don't bother playing again and just restart the title - usually my progress shows up on the next load up.

//A bit random but does anyone know where that special extra second is coming from on sol A class? I have a feeling there must be another BR somewhere...perhaps on the uphill twisted part of the track where the second set of flags are, a little after the skill cut past the downhill stage. Currently on 33.78, global top scores are over a second shorter. There is a chance to do a double barrel roll while taking the first skill cut (as well as the one while falling down onto the vertical drop) but doesn't seem to really get me the extra time. I missed 2 pads as well. Maybe I just need a smoother run but get the feeling I am missing something.

MENGKESHI
6th May 2012, 04:43 PM
If we do get a racebox, what I'd love to see is a no weapons, no damage mode. IE no weapons but you can still BR to your heart's content!

kaori
6th May 2012, 07:00 PM
Yes, an online time trial, thing we claim for 5 years. This mode is present in WipEout Pure. (racebox too :g )

leungbok
6th May 2012, 07:06 PM
best wipeout's mode ever !!

JABBERJAW
6th May 2012, 07:19 PM
We wont get that, as awesome as it would be, they are too engrossed in their vision do the game, which evidently includes no replayability and a 5 month lifespan

chalovak
6th May 2012, 09:39 PM
Well, here it is... I sold Vita (it collected dust anyway). Now I just have to sit and wait till any changes come (not only WipEout-wise). If nothing worthwhile arrives, than this will be it.

MENGKESHI
7th May 2012, 12:23 AM
Glad you guys agree, this should be the most basic mode for online racing imo! :) Sounds like Pure really was a good game!

Sorry to hear that chavolak, Vita is the console I'm enjoying most since my Dreamcast and PS1. Gravity rush coming next month is a really cool game (I got the Japanese import).

mangaroo
8th May 2012, 01:55 AM
I agree, I haven't had so much fun with a new console in a long time although a few frustrations as well - mostly from missed potential in various titles though.

I really hope we do see a lot of these features that we are requesting eventually and that it was all about getting it out early like they said in the interview a while back, hopefully its reflected in future games as well (content wise) - what worries me is the lack of a statement about the requests.

On a note about the MP campaign progress, I said earlier that each time it was wiped I just had to restart and it would return, well that didn't work this time. On the bright side it helped me level up to 41 faster for the unlock.

trk_rkd
8th May 2012, 07:02 AM
Got my vita a little over a week ago, thought I'd give some initial impressions...

First of all, the changes to track design / average speed are growing on me. It definitely plays a little bit more like f-zero (which I've always thought was inferior to wipeout due to the less weighty controls) but it still retains a wipeout feel, it's not bad at all. That said, it's probably my least favourite wipeout after the (genuinely abysmal) Fusion. The core racing is still really good, it's just not up to the high standards of previous entries in the series (w'o3 SE ftw). I'm not really a fan of the skill cut rubbish either - it just means that players will have to invest a little bit of extra time learning the ideal route. It's unlikely that hardcore players will choose the easy routes, after all. Again, this isn't terrible, just less than ideal. Wipeout is my favourite series of all time, and all told this is still very good wipeout, so I can't complain too much.

Moving away from the core "on the track" racing gameplay and things start to look a lot worse. The multiplayer in this game is essentially ****ed. I remember reading somewhere (might have been eurogamer?) that one of the designers came up with the idea of a "multiplayer campaign" in a meeting with sony execs and had no idea what he really meant when he said it. That sounds like a very plausible genesis for the ****ing unholy mess that is the wipeout 2048 online system. Tying trophies/achievments to a multiplayer campaign where progression is in turn linked to combat-oriented criteria was a recipe for disaster. The repetitive "combat... combat... combat..." is infuriating. It's funny because I'm actually a bit of a sucker for trophies in other games (not saying I'm a rabid trophy hunter, but if a game grabs on the first playthrough I might "polish it off" for platinum - think I have ten or eleven now), but there's no way I'd want to play through 200-odd "races" of the endless (and incredibly random) "shoot - turn around - pad - shoot" gameplay loop. It's just obviously awkward and unfun, and so far removed from the vision of wipeout as a disciplined, hardcore arcade racer. Makes me mad because, like I said, the basic racing is still a lot of fun. They've borderline ruined millions of dollars of asset generation (track design, artwork etc) with a metagame gameplay progression system that looks like it was worked on for five minutes. It's utterly insane, and the lack of custom/racebox multiplayer game mode means that as soon as you step online you're forced face-first into the inane trophy hunting of other gamers.

EDIT: been playing a bit more. in fairness, the track design here is probably pretty much equal to pulse and pure. My recollection of those games is kinda biased by the fact that i mostly just remember the tracks which were in HD (which was almost a "best of" from the psp games, although it didn't have that awesome technical track from pure). Although the consistency of track design isn't up there with 2097 and 3, some of the 2048 tracks (Sol and Altima in particular) are definitely up with the best of the series. The focus on a single new york-ish city probably limited them aesthetically though - I don't think anyone really cares all that much about whether or not your futuristic racer takes place in a single city. Also, the game is definitely a graphical stunner, best on vita hands down - SL aren't given nearly enough cred with respect to their technical chops.

mangaroo
8th May 2012, 08:13 AM
Really well put, may be worth conveying some of that over at Facebook.com/wipeout2048

infoxicated
8th May 2012, 09:43 PM
I've sold it.

Thus ends my WipEout 2048 journey.

Oh, except for still getting bombarded with game goods for it on Near!

Temet
9th May 2012, 09:47 AM
I can't blame you Rob!
Without my friends Leungbok, G-Superpilot, Kaori, Maradonna, etc... I would have regret a lot my acquisition... and currently only the speed lap challenge keeps the game alive.

JABBERJAW
9th May 2012, 12:26 PM
@ temet, it seems that may be all you get, not one response to that 73 comment thread on Facebook, the majority being people ticked about racebox. They posted another picture thread to move that one down. I am completely disgusted with SL. To not understand why people are upset is idiotic. They are alienating almost EVERY hardcore fan.

MENGKESHI
9th May 2012, 01:50 PM
I have no idea if they are going to put in racebox or not, but I do know that even if they are going to, they probably wouldn't be able to say that they are publicly due to non-disclosure legal stuff. I'm not saying don't be pissed about the racebox, but I wouldn't give them a hard time about the facebook page - whatever's going on over there, there's probably not much they can say about it. My 2 cents...

Temet
9th May 2012, 02:44 PM
Indeed Al.
The only reason why I bought a PS3 and not an XBox is WipEout.
For the next generation... as WipEout is dead (unless a miracle), it will not be anymore in the balance for the choice.

I understood we won't get racebox, but I'm so pissed of about it that I'll continue breaking balls about it :)

kaori
9th May 2012, 03:22 PM
Let's go, Sony Liverpool is ready to listen us !

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wipeout-2048/frequently-asked-questions/296442757088337

JABBERJAW
9th May 2012, 04:49 PM
Darn it, I can't access that at work, could someone give a general description?

kaori
9th May 2012, 05:23 PM
They now read our private message about our suggestions for a better game...
Copy paste and send our previous best ideas... already send or written here !

Hellfire_WZ
9th May 2012, 05:58 PM
If you're going to do that, please make sure it's condensed and concise. Only pass on the information itself, no rants or anything.

kaori
9th May 2012, 06:06 PM
Yes of course, it was a little joke, I go doing a nice letter well ordered with my best ideas.

Temet
9th May 2012, 06:40 PM
I slapped myself to be sure I was awake.
But now, after all this time, I just wonder if it's not a trick to calm down the community...

Hellfire_WZ
9th May 2012, 06:55 PM
No, it is not

JABBERJAW
9th May 2012, 07:14 PM
that is good to hear, because I was thinking the exact same thing as temet. I am still a little worried, since I have sent the pms to that address, and not so much as a yep, got it, thanks for the mail. The one reply I did get earlier basically said it was not getting put in. I still don't like that it isn't a thread of it's own, so we can see eachothers suggestions regarding this lack of racebox/custom controls. I don't like the idea that they could say,"there wasn't enough suggestions for this", and there would be no way to say otherwise (besides rant like hell). I will resubmit my suggestions with these items, and thanks to hellfire for working on this behind the apocolyptic scenes :)

Darkdrium777
9th May 2012, 09:02 PM
I have passed information on in two distinct messages. The first one is a factual description of what we are looking for. The second one is the main reasons I felt were why we are looking for these features to be added.

In short form:

Message 1.
I described what custom controls would allow users to do as a feature.
I described what racebox would allow users to do as a feature, going down the list of programmable parameters such as we have seen in WipEout HD Fury and prior to detail their uses, as well as added a non-inclusive clause (Meaning that if something else comes up, it should also be allowed as an option).

Message 2.
I made the case of people playing for so long and getting used to a particular layout, be it the classic WipeOut layout (O is for Fire, [ ] is for Absorb) or any custom layout people thought of in the last fifteen years (Looking at you Jabberjaw), as a reason to push for the return of completely customizable controls down to the touch screen interactions. I insisted on the point of allowing complete customization and not just creating new layouts, as you cannot create layouts for everyone realistically.
I explained that replayability both offline and online is hindered by the current limited options available to players. The general feedback is that offline players have speed lap events to play and a few campaign events, however not all tracks are available to race at a particular setting, and that online players are stuck in a Combat event grindfest (I also suggested this be looked at as a separate issue) without any options to get out of it. I illustrated the importance, particularly in online mode, of the customizations offered by a racebox type feature with the existence of gigantic events such as we have seen in the past for WipEout HD Fury that are no longer possible using the current options available in WipEout 2048.

I did get answers and further questions, to which I replied as best I could. The exchange is currently over, I suppose the person in charge has collected the messages I sent and will pass them around.

mangaroo
9th May 2012, 10:16 PM
I actually did get a confirmation of my messages being read and noted down today, seemed quite polite too. I was worried it was a move to calm the racebox posts down but I'll lend them my trust. Seems like they are intent on releasing an announcement within "a few weeks" regarding DLC at least. AR seems to be put on hold, judging by the recent Facebook comments.

I mentioned racebox of course, not necessarily being tied in to MP level or progression but as a separate mode like cross-play, so it would be easier to put in.
I also mentioned my silly training mode idea and the BF3 slowmo adverts of intense moments in the game to attract and help newcomers.

I wanted to chime in too about custom controls ( I was lucky enough to land with my default ) using a mix of motion control perhaps for pitch/touch screen for other functions like looking behind you - really comfortable to do like in the new ridge racer) but I felt I would be swamping them with requests and others have covered this significantly as well..might try in my own words, as Hellfire says, concisely - especially if they are actually reading them all now.
I didn't mention how the game would benefit from tracks of a different (non-city) theme as well but it really would - like the old jungle/snow/inside complex maps - but I should have.. will try and put together a proper message tomorrow.
Don't think there is much they can do to release a "fun" ship with similarities to the physics of Pure, but that would be something.

Hellfire_WZ
9th May 2012, 10:24 PM
Just so you're all aware, I've put the details of this process in a sticky thread at the top of this forum along with a direct link to the page.

Boycey83
14th May 2012, 09:11 PM
The inability to filter out combat events has basically ruined the online for this. I have no desire to play that terrible game mode at all. If they don't fix this I can see the game gathering dust, since with no racebox or quality online mode there's nothing left to do. What a disappointment.

The most frustrating thing is, all the content is present for a quality game, they just shot themselves in the foot by making it difficult for the player to access. Shoot the designer please.

I realise I'm saying nothing new here. But I just fired up Wipeout 2048 for the first time in months and I lasted about 10 minutes before getting bored and switching it off. Gotta vent somewhere!

Mu5
15th May 2012, 01:26 AM
....point the gun at Stu Tilley!! :D He was game director

http://www.gamespot.com/wipeout-2048/videos/wipeout-2048-interview-stuart-tilley-6316685/

1.04 : "One of the biggest, if not the biggest wipeout games ever"

Yeah Yeah....Nah

I must admit I had some speed lap fun which I quite enjoyed for a while, but now im selling my Vita as all it does is collect dust.

Massive disappointment :-

JABBERJAW
15th May 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm as disappointed as anyone for sure, but I have some hope now for the game.

Still though, talking about shooting anyone is quite over the line, even in obvious jest.

leungbok
15th May 2012, 05:28 AM
@Mu5, i don't know how many of you guys gave up on the game already like Rob, but i hope there's a sufficient number of pilots who still keep a small little belief on 2048 and posts their requests on their facebook's page : http://www.facebook.com/notes/wipeout-2048/frequently-asked-questions/296442757088337

Mu5
15th May 2012, 06:29 AM
@Al - Chill out bro it was a joke :D Why have you got some hope now btw?

@leungbok - I had a look at that page this morning and I laughed when I seen they were trying to get people to DM them instead of 'spamming their news feed'. Looks like they are now trying to hide the amount of complaints/requests coming from gamers. Its a shame really.

Boycey83
15th May 2012, 07:32 AM
To avoid any confusion, Boycey83 does not advocate the shooting any of anyone.

Darkdrium777
15th May 2012, 07:57 AM
The responses I got on Facebook were positive, so I'd wait perhaps a month for some kind of statement. If it does lead to nowhere though, get pissed. :|

Hellfire_WZ
15th May 2012, 09:27 AM
Mu5 - I have already detailed the reasons for the changeover to this process in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. It has NOTHING to do with brushing anything under the carpet, it is so all suggestions can be compiled in one place so they can be more easily put forward to the studio. I know this because I am in contact with the person who is actually taking the time to read and collate all this

Colonel
15th May 2012, 11:59 AM
@Mu5, i don't know how many of you guys gave up on the game already like Rob[/url]

I have to be honest, but I'd certainly consider coming back to it if the game's expanded in the ways we've all requested.

leungbok
15th May 2012, 01:54 PM
I mean, i perfectly respect your decision and i can't really blame you ! :? ... but it musn't prevent you to ask SL the changes we are asking for since day one, it seems that they care a bit more about it recently and the number of requests should matter IMO ! ;)

JABBERJAW
15th May 2012, 03:25 PM
The number of requests should matter, and if they do end up brushing it all under the rug, yes get pissed, sell it, whatever. If you do DM them, be specific in what you want

Mu5
15th May 2012, 08:51 PM
I would like to forward you Al (the month after Asa) as the next community hero :D

Your comments on the newsfeed were brilliant, persistent and spot on :+

OK, DM getting sent.

JABBERJAW
16th May 2012, 07:14 PM
Persistent can also be called " the nag king". :)

Mu5
17th May 2012, 10:10 PM
You are indeed the king :D:D

Ok here is the DM I sent..

Hi - Here are my requests for 2048.

I have been a long time WipEout fanatic - love the game - but I have some serious issues with your latest iteration. Basically I am considering selling my vita (the only reason I bought it was to play 2048) due to lack of decent online experience, racebox & custom controls. (Sorry if I am sounding like a broken record, but these are fundamental features which we expect to be part of the game).

The inclusion of 'Combat' in multiplayer has basically ruined the whole online experience for me.

2048 was described pre-release as the "the biggest and best wipeout ever" - but Im sorry it has really fell short of this by a long way. I have heard the term "twenty-forty-hate" being used - I think this sums up how the wipEout community is feeling at the moment.

I was wondering of you could *please* give us an announcement on racebox and custom controls? I think this will help repair some of the damage that has been done and make a lot of gamers really happy (again) and restore some of our faith in SL.

Also another far less important but nice to have feature I would like is the ability to take a screenshot at any point while playing 2048. (Why is there a screenshot feature on the Vita but I am not allowed to use it? - I hope you will agree this is insane!!) I love WipEout Artwork (you can see some of my pics at http://ringospoon.deviantart.com). This is really frustrating!

Also (I know this is trivial) but please remove the copyright notice from screenshots. I have to remove it by hand each time I take a new screenshot, which is rather tedious to say the least)

I hope you can manage to rectify these major issues and make 2048 indeed the 'biggest and best' WipEout game as you originally intended. Myself and a lot of other gamers would like nothing more than for this to happen :)

All the best
Cheers
Mus

JABBERJAW
19th May 2012, 01:52 AM
Perfect, hopefully something will come with these sort of requests. I sent one with detailed descriptions of what we want, but all I needed to really write was, " make the options for multiplayer, Adhoc, single player and custom controls EXACTLY like how is was implemented in woHD. It seems adding extra icons on the main selection screen to these 4 things would be perfect. Then once you click on it, you are given exactly the same options of HD. They already have the code, this should be the easiest to implement. I am really hoping there isn't a half attempt on this. This will be one of my favorite games with these options, without them , a coaster for drinks.

Mu5
19th May 2012, 02:29 AM
Sweet mate :) I agree - if they gave us the options like in HD then that would be great :+

I got a reply saying that there will be announcement regarding racebox / custom controls soon on FB/Twitter.

Another thing I should have said (which is more important that the screenshot issues) is that they need to balance the ships correctly on A+. I think this is another indication that the release of 2048 was rushed to coincide with the vita launch, and wasn't tested correctly :-

mangaroo
19th May 2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah I'd second that last point on A+ like it was discussed (fasssstter) but this is the first I've heard of any sort of feedback regarding racebox and custom controls since the post asking to PM instead of posting on the wall. I knew they were going to talk about DLC in the coming weeks but glad to see they won't leave us wondering forever like modnation did.

Also is anyone else finding it too slow on A+..especially sol for some reason - zone takes too much startup time!