PDA

View Full Version : WipEout 2048 Zombie Mode

Darkdrium777
30th December 2011, 06:56 PM
Read about it here (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/12/30/wipeout-2048s-zombie-apocalypse/) and here (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/30/wipeout-2048s-canned-zombie-mode-detailed).

Wat.

Okay I feel I should add more than my initial reaction.
This sounds like a combination of Zone and Detonator and Eliminator.

Now I wish they hadn't cut it just to see what it was like. It sounds awesome.

gmrtom7
30th December 2011, 07:38 PM
That actually sounds pretty neato. If done right, that could've been a really fun 5-10 minute time waster mode, almost like an inverse zone mode. Hopefully they release it as DLC.

mdhay
30th December 2011, 08:17 PM
Only had to read the first line of the second paragraph to say that I freaking love the idea. That needs to stay in!

Darkdrium777
30th December 2011, 08:34 PM
You know, I have a feeling they released these details to gauge interest.

Clair_Lane-003
30th December 2011, 08:44 PM
This mode sounds like one hell of an idea. Hope it does make it to DLC I love trying to beat my scores

mdhay
30th December 2011, 09:35 PM
Although this should really be launch, it's going to be early DLC which is a bit unfair, although free won't be as much. :D

Blaey
30th December 2011, 11:04 PM
This is super wierd!

maybe they should bring back the medievil team for some zombie action ;)

Colonel
2nd January 2012, 01:39 PM
Sounds bloody brilliant. Hope it makes it as DLC at some point, otherwise it's kind of annoying they told us about it. "Here's what you could have won..."

gmrtom7
2nd January 2012, 01:54 PM
Sounds bloody brilliant. Hope it makes it as DLC at some point, otherwise it's kind of annoying they told us about it. "Here's what you could have won..."

Well, he did mention something about it being "not entirely dead," so hopefully that means there's hope for it.

mdhay
2nd January 2012, 02:16 PM
Recent gaming trends would affirm that that will be DLC.

Colonel
2nd January 2012, 03:25 PM
Really hope so, I think it's a fantastic mode; genuinely original :+

Darkdrium777
2nd January 2012, 05:08 PM
To me it sounds like a possible MediEvil comeback. Remember that team? Mysterious team, drivers and mechanics don't talk to anyone, a very fast ship, aggressive techniques...
Some people react: "Eww zombies have gone way too far." Personally I could spin this: it's a rival racing league and they hate the guts of the people with more exposure. They've had enough and decide to take it out on the tracks. So they challenge official drivers to a competition, except what you don't know is that they've got backup and you don't.
Someone write a fanfiction to make it official! ;)

Blaey
2nd January 2012, 05:36 PM
maybe they should bring back the medievil team for some zombie action ;)

To me it sounds like a possible MediEvil comeback. Remember that team?

did you just completely ignore what I said for some reason? :P
I could totally see it happening but the only problem would be why would they suddenly leave the AG league for hundreds of years

Kyonshi
2nd January 2012, 09:34 PM
:?

I don't get it. Okay, at some extent, this is an "interesting" mode, but i fail to capture the hype about this right now...

I dont wanna crash the party, but my question here, at this point, is: can we get back to WipEout? You know, racing and skills. Not sh!tload of weapons and tricky tracks, instead of large big-ass highways. For one i wouldnt request a "zombie" mode in WipEout. There'a lot more to do with this franchise than swarm it with zombies because its the "new" trend flooding movies and games. I love zombie stuff, but how about concentrating on the core reason of being of WipEout, which is anti-gravity racing?

Temet
3rd January 2012, 07:26 AM
There's always a guy saying : "It sucks, this is not Wipeout!"
This time, I'm that guy :g

amplificated
3rd January 2012, 08:15 AM
I agree, while it sounds like it could be a bit of fun, we're really yet to see if the core game is good enough that SL can justify wasting time on a casual aside.

leungbok
3rd January 2012, 08:35 AM
This time, I'm that guy :g
Then you'll save your money from that dlc ! ;)
Now, maybe we'll need to see at least a footage of that mode, before saying it's crap and not "wipeoutish".

Temet
3rd January 2012, 08:53 AM
I didn't say it's crap though, just it's not "wipeoutish" (good finding this word :g )

Honestly, I would prefer a DLC with new tracks and ships ;)

Darkdrium777
3rd January 2012, 12:01 PM
They would've called it "One vs. All" and nobody would be talking about how zombies are overused everywhere.
Also, while I respect and in fact agree that WipEout should be more about flying than fighting, do not forget that their vision for this game is in fact the opposite. As such, this mode fits in perfectly with the game.

JABBERJAW
3rd January 2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah, Xavier, that sounds about right. Although I would much rather see a TT head to head mode, where the only thing that would matter is quality driving, considering it looks as though it will be impossible to get away from an opponent. This would at least show who is taking the better line. The mode does sound fun, and I would like to play it, just not really wipeout.

leungbok
3rd January 2012, 02:53 PM
Hey, it'll be released (eventually) as a DLC. The main game will have all the classic modes already included.
DLC should be more innovative than adding some popular tracks or ships, so the idea is good, about the "zombie mode" let's wait and see what it's really is !

JABBERJAW
3rd January 2012, 03:18 PM
Oh, I forgot to say I like the title zombie mode. However, it could have been titled, "THE FLYING DEAD". :)

Dark_Phantom_89
3rd January 2012, 06:21 PM
Ugh, again with the zombies? :brickwall:

Seriously, it needs a rest now. There's way too much emphasis on zombies nowadays and it's doing my head in. If the game is primarily zombie-based, then fine, but please, a racing game having a twist on zombies? It's stupid and is actually the first bad thing I'm going to say about 2048.

Darkdrium777
3rd January 2012, 06:40 PM
Irrelevant.
They would've called it "One vs. All" and nobody would be talking about how zombies are overused everywhere.I can't agree with anyone decrying the PROTOTYPE name. Jesus people, they're trying to keep the game fresh. How many of you gave an actual chance to Detonator?
I'll make a deal though: if and when this is released, and we find out that when your ship is destroyed zombies actually swarm you, eject you out of the cockpit, brutally murder you and eat your brains, I'll agree to the fact that zombies are played out.
Until then, it's annoying that every idea they try or even propose gets shot down because it was not in 2097 and therefore it's terrible. Look, much respect to the older games, I enjoy them very much myself. But while the new ones are not the old ones, they're still great games. Pure, Pulse and HD Fury proves they can make excellent games. Keep that in mind more often than you do now, please. Or else I very much doubt we'll ever see someone with the "WipEout Creator" tag post here again.

Dark_Phantom_89
3rd January 2012, 06:50 PM
Irrelevant I do believe that I'm entitled to an opinion, so simply replying with "irrelevant" seems quite rude to me. I'm merely repeating (and therefore agreeing) with some of the other opinions here. Just because you replied to them earlier doesn't mean that the case is now closed and not open to further comments from others.

They would've called it "One vs. All" and nobody would be talking about how zombies are overused everywhere.
Also, while I respect and in fact agree that WipEout should be more about flying than fighting, do not forget that their vision for this game is in fact the opposite. As such, this mode fits in perfectly with the game.

Well, they didn't call it that, so you have to expect some resistance from loyal fans who are concerned about the game and want it prolong the series for as much as possible.

Darkdrium777
3rd January 2012, 06:51 PM
Yes, I realized after posting. I was going to delete this.
I'm sorry.

Kyonshi
13th January 2012, 11:01 AM
Well, all in all, i think they may be trying to milk the franchise due to poor "unsatisfying" response from HD/Fury, particularly in America (got marketing?). Hence this zombie flavor added to this new chapter, trying to capture more audience. Otherwise, what's the purpose of this? Keeping the franchise fresh, like you're stating DD777? I have no objection at all at refreshing the game, but sorry here, this is turning into a freak show.

I think that you and everybody criticizing the opposite opinions - that DP89 and myself for example - should remind yourselves that WipEout as a particular and unique identity in video game literature and history, and this is because of this original idea that it was born and still alive today. This is also because of the particular formula that its still popular. Why is it necessary to introduce such weird zombie battle idea? Im asking the question and its implementation purpose.

I did gave a chance to Detonar. I like that you bring up this one. I did like it. For a very short while. Then i returned to whats WipEout really is, like a lot of other people. Because that's what we want, that's what people like. The picture is quite clear here.

I just dont see the necessity to "reinvent" the game this way. You know what? Fusion is the best example of refreshing the franchise without milking it or making it drift away from what capture the audience. If it would had the floating effect instead of that lame everlating mag stripe concept or the godforsaken Temtesh Bay doors, i would still play it with a boner. Awesome NEW track design, evolving ships, cool new weapons, new teams. Now thats a decent and well-thought re-creation of the game. SL had a winning number that time, but they decided to remove/change something that people liked about WipEout, the damn floating effect. Yes lots of people still like it, but as far as i know, this chapter was the least acclaimed.

Yes you have a point when you say if they would've called it 1 Vs All, we probably wouldnt have this debate, at this scale. But even there, that would still be slightly off the track. As for me, im not pigeon-holing the zombie idea, but considerably questioning the value of its presence.

MyNameIsBom
13th January 2012, 11:28 AM
I kind of am sitting on the fence for this one :/

How many of you gave an actual chance to Detonator?

I do kind of agree with you on this one DD777, i didnt really fancy Detenator for 2 reasons, 1. i sucked and fail so miserably at it 2. it wasnt really "WipEout-y" in my opinion, but not everyone agrees. Well i suppose you can get used to it if you give it a decent try at it, i guess?

Well, all in all, i think they may be trying to milk the franchise due to poor "unsatisfying" response from HD/Fury, particularly in America (got marketing?). Hence this zombie flavor added to this new chapter, trying to capture more audience. Otherwise, what's the purpose of this? Keeping the franchise fresh, like you're stating DD777? I have no objection at all at refreshing the game, but sorry here, this is turning into a freak show.

I think that you and everybody criticizing the opposite opinions - that DP89 and myself for example - should remind yourselves that WipEout as a particular and unique identity in video game literature and history, and this is because of this original idea that it was born and still alive today. This is also because of the particular formula that its still popular. Why is it necessary to introduce such weird zombie battle idea? Im asking the question and its implementation purpose.

I did gave a chance to Detonar. I like that you bring up this one. I did like it. For a very short while. Then i returned to whats WipEout really is, like a lot of other people. Because that's what we want, that's what people like. The picture is quite clear here.

I just dont see the necessity to "reinvent" the game this way. You know what? Fusion is the best example of refreshing the franchise without milking it or making it drift away from what capture the audience. If it would had the floating effect instead of that lame everlating mag stripe concept or the godforsaken Temtesh Bay doors, i would still play it with a boner. Awesome NEW track design, evolving ships, cool new weapons, new teams. Now thats a decent and well-thought re-creation of the game. SL had a winning number that time, but they decided to remove/change something that people liked about WipEout, the damn floating effect. Yes lots of people still like it, but as far as i know, this chapter was the least acclaimed.

well i suppose SL does want more audience, and i do agree to what you've said. They're trying to advertise this game to specific groups eg. Call of Duty players hence the inclusion of "zombies".

Talking of reinvention, that is what causes the die-hard fans to leave the game series, Fusion?....

I LOL'ed at what you wrote "..... i would still play it with a boner" sorry im just being immature xD

Well my conclusion is, SL wants more audience. Because, More Audience = More Games Sold = More Money = SL Happy. Thats the ultimate goal for them. I cant blame them, they have mortages to pay and families to feed.....

Darkdrium777
18th January 2012, 03:44 PM
My point is, they're trying new ideas and adding them to what's already there since WipEout Fusion. You would still see single race, time trial, zone and etc. as well as the new game modes whatever they are.
I guess it's because I've played games with modding capabilities on PC for a long time that I don't see the harm in adding more stuff to play whatever it is, as long as it's good. For example I can't imagine the next Unreal Tournament coming out without Onslaught. That's not the best example though because UT3 lost Assault (Which is why I'm all for adding stuff as long as you don't remove other things) but whatever. The point is Onslaught in UT2004 was new and they nailed it then, UT3 refined the controls to make the vehicles less hovering bricks and more actual cars.
I guess what I'm saying is, give them a chance. It might be really good. Onslaught was new, people said "lol vehakals" but it turned out to be the most played game mode of UT2004 and UT3 ever.
As long as they don't remove what's already there, you aren't losing the "essence" of what you believe WipEout should be. It's still there in it's entirety, there's just more things on the side for you to explore.

kaori
18th January 2012, 04:12 PM
Go fast, use the items well. It seems the keys to do high scores in this Zombie Mode. Yes, it's WipEout :hyper

AG-SYSTEMS
18th January 2012, 11:07 PM
Like the idea, but I would call it SWARM. Much more like it.