PDA

View Full Version : SL challenge v2

SoA_Booney
16th December 2011, 08:10 PM
As other SL and/or TT challenges have been dead recently i thought that it may be appropriate to create a new one. This came as a result of the popularity of the ones that have been started beforehand so i propose another seasonal speed lap challenge spanning over as many weeks as it stays popular.

The basics will be a track, speed and ship to be chosen by me every week and other pilots to run SLs to get the best possible times they can.
Next to prove you have done so to take a picture and then send me a private message with the pictures so i can publish them to a speadsheet.

Of course you can also post your times to the thread to give others times to beat etc.

I feel that this could be fun and is accessible for everyone and will alsoperhaps push the boundaries of SL's and maybe find some new techniques? who knows?

As for scoring and stuff im not sure but if you guys feel anything could be added to make this better please post and it will be taken into consideraion and if people are would like to see this happen i am happy to run the scoring and everthing :)

Please comment thanks :)

JFthebestJan
16th December 2011, 10:21 PM
i like SL ;)
what if we do not just 1 speed class at a time but multiple ones (e.g. venom+rapier)?
or multiple ships (e.g. auricom+qirex), or multiple tracks (e.g. fwd+rev)?
or we do the 'campaign' SL events, means just 7 laps instead of 99. this way we combine the 7laps and have a total time (photo prove is needed, 7 laps must be visible). it's a kind of a Super-TT :D

SoA_Booney
17th December 2011, 02:19 PM
SL's are awesome ;)
i really like these ideas JF and would definately implement them if we can get enough support for this :) especially the super TT ;)
if we get about 15-20 approves in the poll ill start setting up xD

feisar rocket
17th December 2011, 03:32 PM
Sure! Why not? I might beat you at the end of that...

Dark_Phantom_89
17th December 2011, 06:12 PM
It's a lot harder to maintain and keep people interested than you may think. The original SL Challenge lasted 80 weeks, but it was starting to lose steam way before that. It's a nice idea in principle, but I don't think it'd last very long I'm afraid.

SL's are awesome ;)
i really like these ideas JF and would definately implement them if we can get enough support for this :) especially the super TT ;)
if we get about 15-20 approves in the poll ill start setting up xD

It's bad enough getting people to do one category, let alone multiple ones.

I don't want to come across as an arsehole or anything, but I wouldn't want you to put loads of effort into it and then have it fade out.

SoA_Booney
17th December 2011, 06:47 PM
no DP i appreciate that, its why i made the thread to find out what people think, but with the new players that have started playing maybe they would like to get involved, like myself as i didnt get the chance to before :) if enough people feel the same way ill let it go though :)

Colonel
17th December 2011, 10:28 PM
Personally I was gutted when DP's Speed Lap challenge finished. I'd not had the confidence to enter until around that time, the whole thing was a bit daunting for somebody of my limited ability. But around the time it finished I was getting much better and was really up for it.

Anyway I just wanted to say it's a great idea and I'd enter every week (no doubt 2 or 3 secs behind many of you).

Good effort Booney, this is a cracking idea. As you say with "Welcome Back" lots of new players have breathed life into the game and I think it could be really popular.

And DP, you don't sound like an arsehole at all mate. I do hope you'll take part though :)

amplificated
17th December 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm with DP on the multiple ships - it works better for occasions than as something that should happen every challenge. Time is a significant factor for a lot of people, and I think even people that want to really have a crack would prefer just having to focus on one challenge. Most of the times DP did a multi-pronged challenge, my efforts were usually kind of scrappy.

Giving people multiple ships, speed classes or tracks also kind of ruins the point of the "competition" as there's a chance not everyone will do every aspect of the challenge; and though competition may not be the point of it, seeing where you are in relation to others as closely as possible gives people a better idea of your skill and is more compelling.

As long as people are up for it, I think it's a good idea though. But you have to be consistent on your end - I remember JKP's TT challenge where he either started new/ended new challenges 3+ weeks after he said he would and then pretty much forgot about its existence. And don't get disheartened when not many people join - it's bound to happen - but as long as the challenge exists and you can work a mention of it into other threads in other sections as some kind of supposed casual aside, people will check it out. There are a lot of newer players I've noticed recently, so yeah, hopefully they catch on.

I for one, though, am in Japan and not exactly travelling with my PS3. GL though! :)

Jav
18th December 2011, 06:00 PM
Whatever the outcome of the format, I'm all for reviving the SL challenge if there's enough interest - it's always fun to spend an hour on mastering a track and getting a good time. :)

onlykpop
23rd December 2011, 06:43 AM
Hey Booney!

I think this is a great idea! As for the pictures of our times, those will be very easy to upload so i think this will work out well!