PDA

View Full Version : GSC Game World closed down, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 canned

mdhay
13th December 2011, 10:16 PM
The Ukranian game studio has closed down, and I've got to say, I am very disheartened by this. I have never played something as compelling and atmospheric as this series ever, and that's trumping any of Kojima's works. I can only leave you with a post on their site (http://gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr3&thm_page=1&thm_id=5089&sec_id=16&offset=0), as there's too much conjecture everywhere else to use as a source.

From what I can tell, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 has been cancelled, but they're not shutting down straight away, although they may as well do so.

That's christmas time off lowered for me, then. :|

amplificated
13th December 2011, 11:23 PM
I wanted to like Stalker: Call of Pripyat (the only Stalker game I have), but it had skips every 5 seconds and occasionally crashed, so I never got very far before moving on.

P_Denton
15th December 2011, 05:15 PM
I played Clear Sky. It wasn't bad at all but so buggy, even after a gazillion patches... An unforgettable experience for sure though, I could write a whole bible recounting all the hilarious and frustrating bugs I have encountered :lol I mean I've never had a game crashing while trying to change the mouse sensitivity before XD The story sucked too, but a friend of mine told me I've picked the worst one in the serie and modded SoC CoP were awesome, but I haven't tried them out yet.
A real shame they have closed down though. They had potential to make really good stuff. Since I haven't really checked the news, I've got no idea if they were reusing the same engine, etc, but the ambience and gameplay were well done in the game and while bugged, the AI showed brilliance at times.

mdhay
15th December 2011, 08:39 PM
They have used the same engine throughout, and Clear Sky is the most bugged of them all, I've not had any in CoP, although SoC won't even run properly now, lord knows why.

GSC are a brilliant developer, allowing anyone to use the assets as long as they aren't redistributed and they get credit is too kind of them. I'd reccomend getting CoP, it's the best by far, if not the most atmospheric.