PDA

View Full Version : Help a Yank play Wipeout 3 SE on NTSC tv

Auricom Jim
5th December 2011, 05:30 AM
I just found a copy of Wipeout 3 SE on ebay, bought it for about 30$ US, and now I'm back here after a long time, to ask, what's the best was to play wipeout 3 SE. What will it cost me, and what are my options.

I have some disposable income, but I'd rather not spend hundreds. I am willing to buy a PAL ps2 slim or PS1, but I've already got the following...

PS2 slim (NTSC Japanese version)
PS2 slim (NTSC US version)
PSone small white US version.
Playstation (original, but i rough shape).

What next? what's the best option...mod chip>? buy yet another ps? do a video conversion / adapter?

Tomahawk
5th December 2011, 01:31 PM
I assume you are living in the US since you have listed only NTSC consoles. Just to be able to play and enjoy the game I would say your best option is to get your PS1 or PS2 modded and buy a NeGcon controller. If you want to compete in our timetables you'll need to buy a PAL console and play the game on this console though.

Auricom Jim
5th December 2011, 03:06 PM
So If I pick up a PAL PSX console, I should probably then buy a "lag free" NTSC to PAL" video converter so I can play it on my nice sony led TV?

JABBERJAW
5th December 2011, 07:16 PM
It will probably already play on your tv. If you get a converter, you will get lag ( bad lag). It plays on my led tv fine, and I'm not sure if there is lag or not. On some lcds, the ps1 games don't play so well. Good luck

Auricom Jim
6th December 2011, 07:14 AM
I was going to buy a scph model 1001 PSX for the better audio connections (RCA) (Better D/A converters) from UK Ebay. You're telling me this will probly play fine on an LED tv? Or were you refering to the PS2?

thanks for the tips so far. I'm about a day away from ordering the PAL playstation.

JABBERJAW
6th December 2011, 08:58 AM
I said it will probably work on you LCD tv, ( any pal signal). However, you are taking you chances, due to it may not work on certain tv models. I could probably test sometime soon, if I knew your tv model/serial #

Auricom Jim
13th December 2011, 03:57 AM
Well I picked up an old SCPH 1001, and it sounds great. (NTSC) got it as a cd player for home theater...
Anyways,
I also received Wipeout 3 SE in the mail from ebay today. I dug up my PSone, and tried the disc swap trick, and IT WORKED!!! here's the problem, I've got picture roll. The other issue is that I dont have a playstation component video cable that works. the component cable I have is for a ps2 or ps3, and doesnt work.

If I pick up an S-video cable or component video cable that was designed to work with the ps1, will it display a solid picture?
I have a sony HX-800 3d-ready television.

On a side note, I should mention the "motion plus" feature on my TV makes all the wipeout games look like they're running at 60 frames per second. It's super sic! hahaha.

Auricom Jim
13th December 2011, 06:41 AM
Wow. I got wipeout 3 to run on an ntsc tv and ntsc psONE...ol be posting a video of it in a few

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjU3LRLCF-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

feisar rocket
15th December 2011, 02:01 AM
Thats something I learnt today... load, swap, load se, swap, load, swap, play se. Leaving the PSone feeling like an a** ;)

Auricom Jim
16th December 2011, 02:54 AM
I figured It's better to beat up the little PSone than my minty SCPH 1001. I play all the others on that one...super sic sound comin outa that thing. D/A conversion is redIculous good!

I still cant get over how bad wipeout 3 looks compared to XL. -it looks so grainy, like I'm viewing it though a screen door. Alot of the ps1 games to come out later in it's life cycle seem to have done similar. -I speculate that by doing some kind of color depth decrease, or filter / interlace, it would free up the gpu to produce a better draw distance. (gluyven!) -So I guess what I noticed is that all the nice textures and rich colors I was used to in XL are gone in Wipeout 3...
(I've thought this since I got the us version of wipeout 3, but haven't really ranted in writting before, lol)

I gota admit, its still a sweet game, and I love the depth and high difficulty.